LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some background, KW makes a Variant 3 coilover setup for the GTO that utilizes 515 lbf/in linear springs in the front. KW's linear spring catalog can be found online, and without naming any specific part numbers, one can easily deduce a stiffer spring option for the GTO in the front based on stiffness, length, and diameter. The rear springs are a different story in my experience.

However, by a fortunate coincidence while I was shopping for KW Coilovers for my E46 330Ci, I discovered that they share the same rear spring as the GTO (KW 2003). Cool. The E46 M3, however, uses KW 2003 for their Variant 3 kit, but KW 2018 for their Clubsport kit (The 330 uses the 2003 for both, and GTOs don't have a Clubsport kit). I pinged KW and got the following info:

KW 2003 Rate: 71 N/mm (405 lb/in) Free Length: 185 mm
KW 2018 Rate: 96 N/mm (548 lb/in) Free Length: 160 mm

SO, if anyone happens to be looking for stiffer springs for the KW V3s, I'm deducing that the 2018 is a drop in replacement option. Slightly shorter free length, but it will compress less, and I am assuming our spring perches are the same diameter. Not sure on price but they will probably have to ship from Germany so expect $200-250 and a couple weeks wait. I haven't done this yet, but if I elect to stiffen up my setup I will check back in on the results. If anyone has any experience in this department, feel free to chime in!

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,151 Posts
Interesting proposition although less suspension travel in the rear is undesirable.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t personally had an issue with suspension travel, just soft rear springs.

·
Registered
722 Posts
So are those an actual coil over for the rear or like most? I just swap the springs with all my different pedder versions while keeping the adjustable shock.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are those an actual coil over for the rear or like most? I just swap the springs with all my different pedder versions while keeping the adjustable shock.
No, just a stiffer KW spring that will work with the KW adjuster. Admittedly, another user has since convinced me to go another route.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ended up dropping in a 6” 65mm Swift spring at 728 lbf/in. Fits the KW adjuster perfectly. No compression at full droop but if both rear wheels are off the ground I’ll likely have other problems. We’ll see how they do next weekend. Pretty excited they fit so well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts