LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the forum and a newish GTO owner I've had it for a little over a year haven't had any issues other than with the key fob. Recently I've added some mods.
Mods:
Stage 2 summit cam 218/228 LSA 112
Pacesetter long tube headers
Pedders xa coilovers and bushings
It needs a tune but idled nice after cam and header install drove nice too when I took it out around the block, but It started smoking from under the center console when I was driving the car said it was over heating as I was pulling over then my Traction control faulted as well as my Abs. This is all happend within the time it started smoking to when I pulled over about 60 seconds. It burned for about 10 minutes. I started taking my console apart to find what was burning and couldn't find anything nothing was burned under the car either. After it stopped smoking I lost all power to the car. No lights nothing, would the problem be in the harness somewhere I haven't started to really get into the harness yet. Does anyone have any ideas thanks in advance. Also it's a automatic.
Edit: fuses aren't blown either.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I'm new to the forum and a newish GTO owner I've had it for a little over a year haven't had any issues other than with the key fob. Recently I've added some mods.
Mods:
Stage 2 summit cam 218/228 LSA 112
Pacesetter long tube headers
Pedders xa coilovers and bushings
It needs a tune but idled nice after cam and header install drove nice too when I took it out around the block, but It started smoking from under the center console when I was driving the car said it was over heating as I was pulling over then my Traction control faulted as well as my Abs. This is all happend within the time it started smoking to when I pulled over about 60 seconds. It burned for about 10 minutes. I started taking my console apart to find what was burning and couldn't find anything nothing was burned under the car either. After it stopped smoking I lost all power to the car. No lights nothing, would the problem be in the harness somewhere I haven't started to really get into the harness yet. Does anyone have any ideas thanks in advance. Also it's a automatic.
Edit: fuses aren't blown either.
Do you have a rear mount battery or sound system?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What is the wire gauge from the battery? A lot of folks make the mistake of running too small a cable which leads to all kinds of issues. Are the headers a recent install? Real easy to miss a harness near the heat. Check the fuses, you will have at least 1 blown, that will likely (at least) isolate the circuit.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd double check. Does the wiring run close to the center of the car? I'm thinking the smoke came up from under the car.
Sorry couldn't get to it till this afternoon but it was the battery cable. One of my rivets came out (my fault) back near my trunk and it was rubbing the axle. I didn't even think to look there considering where I was seeing the smoke. Just need a battery now and should be good thanks for taking the time to help even though it was something simple. Next time I'll make sure to double check everything before posting.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Sorry couldn't get to it till this afternoon but it was the battery cable. One of my rivets came out (my fault) back near my trunk and it was rubbing the axle. I didn't even think to look there considering where I was seeing the smoke. Just need a battery now and should be good thanks for taking the time to help even though it was something simple. Next time I'll make sure to double check everything before posting. View attachment 502386

Glad you found it and glad you and the car didn't burn up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts