LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had my orange 2006 GTO since labor day weekend. a little over a week now. it has a whopping 120 or so mile on her. so the car is not anywhere near even being broken in.

anyway, i've noticed that the car instantly attracts stares and particularly acts as bait for potential street racers. it just does this naturally without me having to do anything. like tonight:

i was coming home from a thai restaurant on Magnolia, and i go to pull onto the onramp to the 170. as i'm doing so, this black Audi A6 comes from behind and beside me, crowding me, and blows by me onto the onramp. he then slows a bit so i can catch up, and i do so. i'm not even really prepared to race or even care. so i catch up, then he punches it and wants to play freeway "chess" by weaving. and i just lost interest. but i wasn't afraid of him in the least.

to flash back a bit, on the 2nd day of ownership, i pull up next to a black WRX STI with a big fart can and wheels. it looks trick. and this young kid with a shaved head is in it. he leers over at me and my car (i'm in the left turn lane, and he's beside me to my right), sizing it up. he doesn't want to make direct eye contact with me, even though i'm staring at him squarely. so when he gets his green, he revs his car high and peels off to make some kind of statement to me. it's like WTF, he can go F off for all i car in his plastic toy.

the thing is, when these people do this, i feel a hostility and a challenge. and the feeling is very real. i can see why so many members here want to shut every one of these people down. and i know a lot of the stories are not hostile, often ending in mutual thumbs up. but some other people are just pricks on the road.

·
not the slowest gto in tulsa
972 Posts
You have entered into the "I have a fast car and want to impress you"
zone.

Ignore them. If not take no mercy, but be very careful as the penalty can be severe if po po sees you.

99.9% of the time I ignore them. Its just not worth risking all.
Street racing is pretty stupid anyway, go to the strip. Its actually pretty fun.

·
Registered
109 Posts
well...

bonzelite said:
i've had my orange 2006 GTO since labor day weekend. a little over a week now. it has a whopping 120 or so mile on her. so the car is not anywhere near even being broken in.

anyway, i've noticed that the car instantly attracts stares and particularly acts as bait for potential street racers. it just does this naturally without me having to do anything. like tonight:

i was coming home from a thai restaurant on Magnolia, and i go to pull onto the onramp to the 170. as i'm doing so, this black Audi A6 comes from behind and beside me, crowding me, and blows by me onto the onramp. he then slows a bit so i can catch up, and i do so. i'm not even really prepared to race or even care. so i catch up, then he punches it and wants to play freeway "chess" by weaving. and i just lost interest. but i wasn't afraid of him in the least.

to flash back a bit, on the 2nd day of ownership, i pull up next to a black WRX STI with a big fart can and wheels. it looks trick. and this young kid with a shaved head is in it. he leers over at me and my car (i'm in the left turn lane, and he's beside me to my right), sizing it up. he doesn't want to make direct eye contact with me, even though i'm staring at him squarely. so when he gets his green, he revs his car high and peels off to make some kind of statement to me. it's like WTF, he can go F off for all i car in his plastic toy.

the thing is, when these people do this, i feel a hostility and a challenge. and the feeling is very real. i can see why so many members here want to shut every one of these people down. and i know a lot of the stories are not hostile, often ending in mutual thumbs up. but some other people are just pricks on the road.
Get used to it man, especially in Cali, ricer and eurocar central. I applaud you on your humility in not stooping to their level. Me? I dont have such humility. I will make every possible attempt to embarrass and bust someones ass if they desire for a beating. The GTO seems to be a massive target for ricers and douchebags in higher end cars. Just the other day, I had to hand some guys 57K Benz CLK coupe its ass on a platter, because the guy just kept shadowing me for blocks to get me to race. After beating him from one light to another by a couple cars, the idiot, not done yet, tries to race me from a 40mph roll on an open road outside of town. After walking him by 2 buslengths the comedian finally got the picture and took a sharp turn off the road. And dont even get me started on the damn ricers. I dont even waste the gas on these clowns in civics and focis, and cavaliers. I have actually twice now responded to a would be loser in riced civic, at a stoplight who revved his engine at me with (while leaning out of the window) "dude, you're in a civic, dont bother." I have one easy solution to help you deal with the annoying ricers in particular. Offer to race them for money on a drag strip, magically, the huge majority of them that know any better, will chicken out.

For example, I had a guy in a modded 350Z who apparently in an attempt to show off in front of his girl, tried (and failed) to take me on at a stoplight then did a ricer flyby after I braked. He retreated to a parking lot where the rest of his ricer friends were hanging out at. Me, being the total ass that I am, followed him there, got out of my GTO, and told him in front of his girl, and his buddies, "500 bucks, heads up, and I'll even let you borrow a buddies helmet, and I'll pay the 30 bucks for your pit pass." Honestly, I'm not going to go all out on the streets. Needless to say, this comedian mentioned some BS about how his car is running hot or some shit. Speaks volumes that this guy with a modded Z was afraid to take on a stock auto LS1 GTO, but was willing to attempt it on the streets (and lost anyway)

Anyway, if people want to challenge your goat, have these comedians put their money where their mouth is. Or just keep doing what you do, ignore the morons.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have had the car for 2 weeks and haven't run into anyone that has said anything bad about it. I've had thumbs up's in drive through's, car washes, stop lights, parking lots, etc. All the cars I have run had pretty cool drivers too. There was this stock lt1 guy who was ****y that had to be taught a lesson. That was the only exception :stickpoke

·
king of the castle....
726 Posts
okie123 said:
zone.

Ignore them. If not take no mercy, but be very careful as the penalty can be severe if po po sees you.

Street racing is pretty stupid anyway, go to the strip. Its actually pretty fun.
Im with this guy fo sho. :thumbs:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okie123 said:
zone.

copy that 10/4. i've barely taken the GTO out and i've already had these encounters. i think they're just going to increase. the car is a magnet for it. it's cool, i admit, but it's also annoying. i like the attention as much as i cannot stand some of the prick attitudes i'm seeing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
napoleon123 said:
Get used to it man, especially in Cali, ricer and eurocar central. I applaud you on your humility in not stooping to their level. Me? I dont have such humility. I will make every possible attempt to embarrass and bust someones ass if they desire for a beating. The GTO seems to be a massive target for ricers and douchebags in higher end cars. Just the other day, I had to hand some guys 57K Benz CLK coupe its ass on a platter, because the guy just kept shadowing me for blocks to get me to race. After beating him from one light to another by a couple cars, the idiot, not done yet, tries to race me from a 40mph roll on an open road outside of town. After walking him by 2 buslengths the comedian finally got the picture and took a sharp turn off the road. And dont even get me started on the damn ricers. I dont even waste the gas on these clowns in civics and focis, and cavaliers. I have actually twice now responded to a would be loser in riced civic, at a stoplight who revved his engine at me with (while leaning out of the window) "dude, you're in a civic, dont bother." I have one easy solution to help you deal with the annoying ricers in particular. Offer to race them for money on a drag strip, magically, the huge majority of them that know any better, will chicken out.

... "500 bucks, heads up, and I'll even let you borrow a buddies helmet, and I'll pay the 30 bucks for your pit pass." Honestly, I'm not going to go all out on the streets. Needless to say, this comedian mentioned some BS about how his car is running hot or some shit. Speaks volumes that this guy with a modded Z was afraid to take on a stock auto LS1 GTO, but was willing to attempt it on the streets (and lost anyway)

Anyway, if people want to challenge your goat, have these comedians put their money where their mouth is. Or just keep doing what you do, ignore the morons.
i hear you, brother. i like your style. that pretty much shuts them up quick. i like the 500 bucks in-his-face thing. that really emasculated that guy. you get major props for that.

as well, to corroborate with the other poster, everywhere i go i do get nice conversations and compliments about the GTO. people are ever curious, and they are most often happy for me and just enjoy seeing the car.

yet the occasionally appearing "euro-superior" thing is very thick out here in socal, that you mention it. it is the holier-than-thou elitist upmanship thing that is typically a sham when actually addressed. and most often, these people are on the road, weaving, and acting the ass.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I had this chick with an EVO VIII say that my gto was not fast...I had to just laugh at her

06 quicksilver M6
k&n aircharger

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unless she's got a 20g turbo with cams, or something else, on that 4G63 over stock, she's living in a total fantasy world of denial. stock Evo 8 will not take the GTO, nor will the Evo MR.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i see

bonzelite said:
i hear you, brother. i like your style. that pretty much shuts them up quick. i like the 500 bucks in-his-face thing. that really emasculated that guy. you get major props for that.

as well, to corroborate with the other poster, everywhere i go i do get nice conversations and compliments about the GTO. people are ever curious, and they are most often happy for me and just enjoy seeing the car.

yet the occasionally appearing "euro-superior" thing is very thick out here in socal, that you mention it. it is the holier-than-thou elitist upmanship thing that is typically a sham when actually addressed. and most often, these people are on the road, weaving, and acting the ass.
I can tell you, the attenton can work both ways, but fortunately, for the most part, its positive. Another thing you'll find funny, is when some of your friends who normally wouldnt touch a pontiac with a 10 foot pole, end with a GTO once you give them a lift or after they chat with you about your car. No kidding, I worked with a middle aged guy, when I was working in Kansas, who was a fanatical BMW owner. His last 6 cars were BMWs, and the last two were M3s. When i got my GTO, he gave me all kinds of questions about the car. I was thinking, surely, he isnt considering a GTO. No BS, I see this guy a few months later with a black 6 speed LS2 GTO. The same thing happened when I ended up here in Oklahoma when another coworker, who had been a lifetime nissan/infiniti owner ended up getting a GTO after grilling me with questions about the car. Granted, his first choice was a GT500 until the Ford dealer here in Lawton told him they were auctioning their only Shelby GT500 with a starting bid of 65 grand. 65 grand plus for a mustang, thats a good one...

I actually had a guy in a Maserati Quattroporte Sport while in Dallas, TX told me how nice he thought the GTO was, after he watched me and my wife step out of it in front of valet parking at PF Changs. I was rather suprised that a guy in a $115K vehicle was sincerely impressed with a car that was under a quarter the price of his own. My wife likes going to these little higher end shopping plazas down there such as, the village, to window shop, (we cant afford to actually shop at most of these stores, but thats another story, lol) and I get lots of curious random stares as I drive past rich folk in outdoor sidewalk bistros, as I go to and from the parking lots. I think the attention also has to do alot with the fact that not many of our cars are around. Plus how often to people hear a rumbling, clearly domestic V8, coming from something other then an Fbody or mustang? I'm sure that gets people looking as well. Hell, up until early this year I was still getting random people telling me, "They bought back the GTO? I had no idea." Good job on the marketing, Pontiac....

And one more thing, there is one group of people that will give you NO attention whatsover. The mustang guys. Most of them want no part of a GTO. But dont take my word for it, ask them, lol. I actually asked a new mustang GT owner if her car is fast, she looked at my LS1 GTO and said, no BS, "not as fast as that". The only exception thus far is one guy went to a racetrack with a seemingly heavily modified mid 90s mustang, with huge drag radials, and an impressively scary sounding exaust, only to lose to a stock 06 GTO on stock tires. Hell, he didnt even crack the 13s (got a 14.2) and the GTO crossed at 13.3. I offered to race him and he turned me down (I run 13.8s typically at that track). After the beating I told him that i'd give him a closer race. Needless to say, we havent seen that guy there since. Those mustang guys/girls seem happy chasing down civics and cavaliers, and will avoid GTOs like the plauge. At least here in oklahoma...

·
Registered
109 Posts
yup

bonzelite said:
unless she's got a 20g turbo with cams, or something else, on that 4G63 over stock, she's living in a total fantasy world of denial. stock Evo 8 will not take the GTO, nor will the Evo MR.
especially from a roll...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i enjoy reading your posts.

i get nearly all positive feedback on my GTO as well. most are entirely surprised the car is a Pontiac/GM product. that is a neat account of the Maserati owner.

i must agree that GM made a very half-baked effort to market this car over here in the States. many people who see the car really don't know what it is. it's a shame in a way because the car is beyond what i and most others have come to expect from GM. the fit and finish and attention to details on the car are superb. and it fits like a glove around my body in the cokpit.

we have a gem, indeed.

·
US Monaro-IBM/B/M6-K&N
739 Posts
:cool: Yep, yep .. we all go through this stage, bonzelite .. It's all part of learnin' how to be .. mindin' yo oowwwnnnn b'ness .. Buddy!

Just take heart in knowin' that .. YOU .. are on top of the food chain with a GTO. After a while .. you will be amused at some of the antic's. If they really knew the strength of the GTO, they wouldn't be messin' with us. :rolleyes:

You're representin' all of us ... Jus' run fair, run with respect, keep it safe, and when you have to beat 'em, do it hard, no mercy, and only give 'em one chance. One run, one Kill, .. that way they stay dead. :judge:

Drive On, Bro! :driving: Welcome to the Forum. :thumbs:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
COOL!! thanks Big Blue Daddy!! this is great! i will do our kind proud and run with integrity. most of em are not gonna be worth it. i'm already getting to see that. but when i do cross that line, i will do as you and many others are saying: i'm not going to show them any mercy. they're going to get it. this is fantastic!

·
Banned
8,940 Posts
Blecch .. I had my BOM "investigated" by the Department of Homeland Security this eve while heading back to Canada for an AM dentist appointment.

It was so sad ... they tried to bust me on every front and pried apart every interior panel. It was dark so I can't see what the bottom line outcome is ... but the bald self-righteous dude whacked every body panel 12 times or more with his fist ... and some stuff was missing afterward (can't say what due to decorum, how sad ... scrip codeine medications from dental work that have US street value). And a CD.

So what can you do when the INS's Glock carves a gouge in your rear quarter panel while they look for crystal meth ... nada

Can you bitch that Cingular hands over your call logs and maybe audio transcripts of all your convos to the NSA ? ... nein

What do you do when the zit-faced border "Person in authority" does an accounting of your cash in pocket .. and forces you to put it on the median ? ... Smile 'cause you got $160CAD (to pay the .CA dentist) and $45 US ??? wooo hooo !!!!

INS assholes thorougly and disrepsectfully prodded and pried every panel and structure in my car this eve, and it pissed me off greatly. I have multiple entry documents ... legal US status, and they were total bastards.

After they cleared me, and we agreed they were doing an essential service, and allowed me to use my Blackberry .... I documented all their names. And I'll let it pass.

We'll see in the AM if any panels are hanging off the roof or new vibrations from taking apart the car exist.

Tell you this .. it's because of the ********* Arabs that they did this to me. Hmm, maybe they didn't like my Rolex and Zaino'd GTO ...

Who knows.

·
Banned
8,940 Posts
I'll see better in the morning if the INS put it together as Holden did originally.

But they were arrogant that if I have an issue with it, I can always resort to "tort" law ...

Shit, in Canada where I come from, a torte is a cake ! They treated me like shit 'cause the car was cool, and baldie-boy lifted some 12-odd T3's (tylenol 3's) on a dental scrip, which I understand are worth cash in U.S.A.

How shit is that ? The protector of law and order, stealing ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
bonzelite said:

I like to pretend I'm going to race them. When it turns green, they make a huge scene and waste all that fuel and rubber...all the while I slowly ease into 1st gear out of a complete stop. Now THAT'S entertaining.:fawkdance

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TexasAggie said:
I like to pretend I'm going to race them. When it turns green, they make a huge scene and waste all that fuel and rubber...all the while I slowly ease into 1st gear out of a complete stop. Now THAT'S entertaining.:fawkdance
LOL! i'll bet especially fun on the not-worthy masses of ricer crap. i will try that one. then they make an ass of themselves and maybe attract a cop.

·
Registered
209 Posts
bonzelite said:
then they make an ass of themselves and maybe attract a cop.

Not only that, but my hope is that someday someone loses control, hits a curb, breaks their axle, and takes out a pole. ALL in that order (without injury to themselves or others, of course).:gr_devil:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts