LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I still have 5 hours to wait. I already called all the stores around to see if they have the Dec rags out yet. They don't so I guess I will just watch Football and do a little...
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Can someone tape it so I can host it like I hosted the autoweek one? I dont get SPEED :(

I'll get all the mags scanned when I get them and the scanner back next week.
If someone could tape the show and send it to DevilYellow that would be AWESOME because I don't get the Speed Channel either.

I will scan MT for you as soon as I get it. Hopefully Monday now.

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be taping it and would be happy to send you a copy.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It was nice to see the car with wheels turning. Nothing new. You Yellow Jackets will like it I am sure. It was a pilot car so nothing final so far with the numbers given as 5.3 and 13.65. They did quote the estimated MSRP as $33,000 and $33,695. Loved the torques and handling. Said the the looks blended in. A nice way of saying they weren't impressed. I found the most interesting non GTO thing is the Touareg was voted SUV of the year.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
no burnouts that I remember but they showed the slalom which was done at about 64mph. That was pretty cool. used words like not top notch but very good. I took that to mean it wasn't in the $60,000+ range of handling but was better than anything in it's class.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually, they did show a long burnout. Looked alot like the young NASCAR racers do now when they win. By the way, I think it is ridiculous that at every NASCAR race, whoever wins does burnouts, donuts, and polish victory laps. I understand it when it's a guys first win, but it's every stickin week now. End of rant.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I've got it.

Actually that burnout looks like it was in the bleach box at the drag strip heating and cleaning the tires for a blast down the 1/4 mile, not a NASCAR style 180* burnout.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Oh yea, I was a little peeved at the SUV of the year award going to that difficult to pronounce "Kraut Kar."

I've owned nothing but trucks and SUV's (GM of course), probably some 15-20 in the last 10-15 years and it just rubs me the wrong way seeing these cross over, car platform based sport activity vehicles taking the awards. The one comment they made about the Touraaraeg or whatever the f*ck it's called is it's 7,800lb towing capacity. I just about fell out of the chair! I'd love to drop my 7,800lb trailer that I pull with my HD on that thing's hitch and watch it's bumper hit the ground let alone the hilarity in watching it try to move it. Sorry a unibody chassis just simply doesn't support 780 - 1,170lbs (10-15%) of tongue weight!!!

That's just an editorial from yours truly. :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
The one comment they made about the Touraaraeg or whatever the f*ck it's called is it's 7,800lb towing capacity. I just about fell out of the chair! I'd love to drop my 7,800lb trailer that I pull with my HD on that thing's hitch and watch it's bumper hit the ground let alone the hilarity in watching it try to move it. Sorry a unibody chassis just simply doesn't support 780 - 1,170lbs (10-15%) of tongue weight!!!
Actually the Toureg is based on the new porche (I'll never be able to afford one so didn't bother to learn how to spell it) SUV which is built extremely solidly. In fact I read that it weighs 4900 lbs which is only 350 lbs less than a 1/2 ton 4x4 suburban. Some people on this board thought the GTO was a pig.:)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yea and it's optional V8 is an Audi V8. Weight isn't a determining factor in how capable a tow vehicle is. And for what it's worth, my 97 4x4 Tahoe LT weighed in at 5,300lbs. So a 'Burb would weigh more. My 2500HD tips the scales at 7,000lbs.

What makes a good tow machine is one with a torque monster motor (gas or diesel), a transmission equal to the engine, high capacity axles, heavy duty frame, and capable suspension.

Like I say, I want to see a 7,800lb trailer dropped on that thing's class III hitch and watch the headlights point towards the sky. :D

·
Resident workaholic
2,250 Posts
very old

1 - 20 of 20 Posts