LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a cheap set of puddle lights for the GTO ($15). They were easy to install, didn't even have to drill any holes in the door panels. I can't decide if they are kinda cool or kinda cheesy. They do get rather warm if left on for too long as they have really powerful LEDs powering them.

Here is what you get. As I said, you don't need the hole saw.

Installed on the door panel. The projector just wedges into the hole already in the door panel. Once the door panel screw is in place, they fit okay, but I put a little tape around the rim to help it fit more snug. I will clean up the tape at a later time, I just wanted to see if I could get them in and working. Just route the wiring and transformer around the foam block so the wires can reach the courtesy lights in the lower rear of the door panels. You'll connect these to the courtesy light wires however you chose. You have to leave enough slack in the wiring where the projector is because you need to leave it dangling while you put in the door panel screw and then you just wedge the light into the opening.

And here is how it looks projected. I put a piece of white cardboard down so it would show up better as it was still fairly bright in my garage with afternoon sun pouring in through the windows.

Since they aren't really fastened to the car in any meaningful way, you can orient them in any direction. I did mine to be perpendicular to the side of the car when the door is fully open. They would be fairly bright at night.

So, nifty or cheese-o-matic? They are certainly inexpensive and certainly easy to install and would be real easy to remove if you don't like them. They are available in both 5.7 and 6.0 GTO badge versions or any number of other symbols. Apparently you can even request a specific emblem, not sure what that would cost though.

·
GR-RRR!
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Worthless reject member
40,364 Posts
If you like it, that's all that matters.

At least it looks well done. If it was an all appearance show car, it would be a nice touch.

·
Powdercoat all of it
217 Posts
I did puddle lights on mine, but I drilled a hole at the bottom and installed there. It sits flush, you wouldn't know it's there unless you get on the ground and look up. The thing is, close the door, it's gone, off. So if I ever think it's cheesy, I'll just close the door and climb through the window.

As far as I'm concerned, do it, then forget it.

·
GR-RRR!
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I did puddle lights on mine, but I drilled a hole at the bottom and installed there. It sits flush, you wouldn't know it's there unless you get on the ground and look up. The thing is, close the door, it's gone, off. So if I ever think it's cheesy, I'll just close the door and climb through the window.

As far as I'm concerned, do it, then forget it.
Got any pictures? Did you place yours out by the rear edge of the door close to the courtesy lights?

If I keep them I do want to clean up the tape around the rim of the projector to make the install look more clean. I do like that I was able to find a way to install them without cutting any holes so if I decide to remove them it is a no harm no foul thing. But like you said, you don't even see them unless you are on the ground looking up with the door open. Mostly this was an act of boredom and curiosity. They are brighter than I expected them to be for $15. Using an existing hole does limit where you can place them, drilling a hole would open up more options.

And you can turn them off at any time by simply turning off the door activation of the dome light at the dome light switch.

·
Worthless reject member
40,364 Posts
Got any pictures? Did you place yours out by the rear edge of the door close to the courtesy lights?

If I keep them I do want to clean up the tape around the rim of the projector to make the install look more clean. I do like that I was able to find a way to install them without cutting any holes so if I decide to remove them it is a no harm no foul thing. But like you said, you don't even see them unless you are on the ground looking up with the door open. Mostly this was an act of boredom and curiosity. They are brighter than I expected them to be for $15. Using an existing hole does limit where you can place them, drilling a hole would open up more options.

And you can turn them off at any time by simply turning off the door activation of the dome light at the dome light switch.
Gonna snek up 2 ur garage 1 nite and switch ur gto puddle lites out for ford pony ones.

·
Powdercoat all of it
217 Posts
I have no pictures... figured it was cheap enough no one would care lol. I installed them at the end of the door under the courtesy light. I'm more proud of the courtesy light, generic led ebay items, but better looking than the stock junk!

·
GR-RRR!
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gonna snek up 2 ur garage 1 nite and switch ur gto puddle lites out for ford pony ones.
But you'd have to pull them off your Mustang II first. Sure it is worth the trouble?

·
Administrator
8,291 Posts
Shipping you a sticker. You’ve earned it:

·
GR-RRR!
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shipping you a sticker. You’ve earned it:

View attachment 502647
Oh c'mon, they aren't THAT bad. Besides, FPFQ is more about wrapping these things around trees.

And anyway, we can't all afford to put Maggies on our GTOs. And I'm sure those puddle lights added at least 10HP across the board through the whole RPM range.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,147 Posts
Straight Velveeta lol

Works for some cars, but not the GTO

·
GR-RRR!
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like the stock junk.

kinda ticks me off it breaks easily, tho.
OMG those courtesy lights are a horrible design, fragile as heck. I think they were designed to be installed once and never removed. I put LED bulbs in mine and it was a challenge not to destroy the housings in the remove/replace process.

·
GR-RRR!
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Straight Velveeta lol

Works for some cars, but not the GTO
Maybe I should remove them from the doors and install them as footwell lights. Then I wouldn't even need floormats with logos on them.

Actually what I would have preferred would have been illuminated door sill plates but the guy who used to make them no longer does. I have illuminated door sill plates on my daily and I think they are actually a nice touch.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts