LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Powdercoat all of it
217 Posts
I was shown this "mod" by an fbody guy. The bottom of an fbody door panel has no surface that would allow that install. He drilled in the bottom of his door, fit great and had plenty of space for the cylinder above the lens. Monkey see, monkey do.

That's not the only car with no spot on the door panel to install, but show me a car that doesn't have a flat surface at the bottom of the door shell. Seems the logical place to install it to me.

Anyway, mine are installed, no tape. Feel free to leave yours in the panel. And use your holesaw bit for cutting through newspaper when you need it.

·
GR-RRR!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Wol Gemut
3,293 Posts
OMG those courtesy lights are a horrible design, fragile as heck. I think they were designed to be installed once and never removed. I put LED bulbs in mine and it was a challenge not to destroy the housings in the remove/replace process.
not if done right. and the glow logo looks good imo.

·
Worthless reject member
40,356 Posts
You should rig up a position sensor on each door and put the light on a stepper motor. Then rig up some sort of controller to change the stepper motor position in relation to the door angle. That way when you open the door and the puddle light comes on, the GTO emblem is always aligned to your car regardless of door angle.

Now THAT would be trick.

·
GR-RRR!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
not if done right. and the glow logo looks good imo.
We were talking about the OEM courtesy lights in the bottom rear corner of the door panels.

·
Wol Gemut
3,293 Posts
We were talking about the OEM courtesy lights in the bottom rear corner of the door panels.
yes, if you try to change them from the outside, huge hassle, but they are meant to be changed with the door panel off, squeeze the rectangle sleeve and it pops right off.

Reactions: Glynn

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I bought a cheap set of puddle lights for the GTO ($15). They were easy to install, didn't even have to drill any holes in the door panels. I can't decide if they are kinda cool or kinda cheesy. They do get rather warm if left on for too long as they have really powerful LEDs powering them.

Here is what you get. As I said, you don't need the hole saw.
View attachment 502624

Installed on the door panel. The projector just wedges into the hole already in the door panel. Once the door panel screw is in place, they fit okay, but I put a little tape around the rim to help it fit more snug. I will clean up the tape at a later time, I just wanted to see if I could get them in and working. Just route the wiring and transformer around the foam block so the wires can reach the courtesy lights in the lower rear of the door panels. You'll connect these to the courtesy light wires however you chose. You have to leave enough slack in the wiring where the projector is because you need to leave it dangling while you put in the door panel screw and then you just wedge the light into the opening.

View attachment 502625

View attachment 502626

And here is how it looks projected. I put a piece of white cardboard down so it would show up better as it was still fairly bright in my garage with afternoon sun pouring in through the windows.

View attachment 502627

Since they aren't really fastened to the car in any meaningful way, you can orient them in any direction. I did mine to be perpendicular to the side of the car when the door is fully open. They would be fairly bright at night.

So, nifty or cheese-o-matic? They are certainly inexpensive and certainly easy to install and would be real easy to remove if you don't like them. They are available in both 5.7 and 6.0 GTO badge versions or any number of other symbols. Apparently you can even request a specific emblem, not sure what that would cost though.
Nice mod. The projected emblem looks cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is not easy taking a picture of my left door install. Remember the picture is taken with camera lying on the floor and looking up. I did not need to remove the door panel. Yeah, it has got that ghetto-look and I know my 1/4 mile and mpg are gonna go to sh*t but good luck finding any GTO gizmos anywhere anymore.

·
GR-RRR!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
View attachment 503507 It is not easy taking a picture of my left door install. Remember the picture is taken with camera lying on the floor and looking up. I did not need to remove the door panel. Yeah, it has got that ghetto-look and I know my 1/4 mile and mpg are gonna go to sh*t but good luck finding any GTO gizmos anywhere anymore.
Your install looks good. I still can't bring myself to cut holes in my door panels! Kinda the "I wanna have sex but remain a virgin" mindset!

·
Worthless reject member
40,356 Posts
View attachment 503507 It is not easy taking a picture of my left door install. Remember the picture is taken with camera lying on the floor and looking up. I did not need to remove the door panel. Yeah, it has got that ghetto-look and I know my 1/4 mile and mpg are gonna go to sh*t but good luck finding any GTO gizmos anywhere anymore.
That looks pretty clean.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts