LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mustang Convert
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yikes!! I took a nasty turn (with the traction control off) and ended up slamming into a curb. :slap:

I have not visited a collision place yet.

Is this a simple, inexpensive touch-up?

Are they going to need to replace the entire bumper?

Thanks for your input-

·
Registered
273 Posts
Since I'm in the collision repair fiel, I can tell you this .
The proper way this should be done (since your car is brand new) is to remove the facia (bumper cover) Feather (Sand smooth) All the imperfections . Color the area(s) and clear the whole Cover.

Get estimates from a few shops. Ask about the proceedures they will take.

Never go with the cheapest......... Cheap = Cheap.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My guess would be 1k to 1.2k. I had the rear bumber on my GTP done and it was in that range. Like GTOME said. There is a proper way to do it and the cheap way...

·
Disaster
339 Posts
It doesn't look that bad, but everyone may be right about the blending. They may not be able to just touch it up, they may have to paint the whole bumper(which sucks ass).

On a good note, lets see some pics of your car :thumbs: Haven't seen a Barbados with aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
273 Posts
RAZRS EDGE said:
It doesn't look that bad, but they everyone may be right about the blending. They may not be able to just touch it up, they may have to paint the whole bumper(which sucks ass).

On a good note, lets see some pics of your car :thumbs: Haven't seen a Barbados with aftermarket wheels.

Believe me, if you spray color over the whole bumper it will (90% ofthe time) not match the fenders and hood.

If you look real close at this now you'll see they are probly a couple of shades off from factory. Along with the door handles, spoiler, rockers, and rear deck finish panel (plastic piece where lic. plate mounts).

These are Painted off the car, usually from a different lot of paint and the spray equipment in different.

It is best to keep the color you are spraying away from the fenders and hood.

·
Mustang Convert
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advice :) I am going to spend the next few days getting estimates.

I will get more pics online when the sun comes up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Go and get some rubbing compound from an auto store. Get some really NOT agressive stuff and just take and polish the hell out of that area. You'll be suprised how much of that will come out. it will look like 30% of the damage as it does now. At least for the time being make it look LESS noticable. The results will be worth your $5 and an hour or rubbing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i noticed that i think the paint is really soft... like it comes off real easy on the bumer, rockers... plastic parts

i also see a huge difference in the wing/spoiler color... i have a yellow goat, and i know many others out there have said something, but they def. look different. now i know it could be the light and the way it hits it, but no way should this wing look this different in my point of view.. tomorrow i'll see if i can get a pick that will show the diff.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Rocket said:
Go and get some rubbing compound from an auto store. Get some really NOT agressive stuff and just take and polish the hell out of that area. You'll be suprised how much of that will come out. it will look like 30% of the damage as it does now. At least for the time being make it look LESS noticable. The results will be worth your $5 and an hour or rubbing.

this would also be my suggestion. atleast to relieve the temporay i soar.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I am more interested in the "I took a nasty turn with the TC off" portion of the story. Sounds like you were having fun. Care to elaborate? Don't be shy. You're with friends here. We will laugh WITH you, not AT you. He he he......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mate, I wouldnt bother, since these cars sit pretty low already, you will end up scraping the front, sides and rear sooner of later, must be a nightmare if you go even lower than stock FE2.

Paint quality from Holden is pretty crap, it will flake and chip quite easily, just wait till you get an accumalation of scratches, chips and dings, then do it in 1 go.

I hope you guys and gals arnt signing up for the paint and fabric protection bullshit sold by the dealers, same goes for tinting, bloody dealers.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Speedy Gonzales said:
Paint quality from Holden is pretty crap, it will flake and chip quite easily, just wait till you get an accumalation of scratches, chips and dings, then do it in 1 go
That's pretty much my philosophy. Wait a couple of years till the car gets pretty ratty, and do up the whole car right. Extra coats, wet sanding, the works.

·
Mustang Convert
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
dland - those are great looking wheels - what are they?

·
Mustang Convert
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Motegi DP-5
18" x 7.5"

They were put on by the dealership. My wife does not like them :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts