LS1GTO Forums banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

· Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,617 Posts
I like the SAP bumper better than the 05, 06 bumper. But I like the 2004 bumper with a clean cut out on the right side the best. The spoiler had grown on me so either one works but I am not a fan of the spoilerless look. Finally saw that in person a few years ago and I wasn't feeling it.

One thing is still for sure... if you like the SAP parts and want the GM original stuff, be prepared to look long and hard and then pay out your ass if you find it.

I may do the bumper cut on my 04, or buy another 04 rear bumper to work with, but I really like my Corsa Sport with oval tip. Finding another one of those will be like finding a needle in a haystack, so I guess I should look for one of them first before go any further.

· |G|et |T|urned |O|n
05 GTO, PBM, M6, SAP, 18s
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
I have the 2005 SEMA GTO. The tips have GM Performance stickers on them, but no magnaflow anywhere. It actually had Borla mufflers. It’s like pre-pre-production. More like prototype they threw together
No kidding. I remember there being some confusion back in 2005 re: Borla vs Magnaflow for the SAP exhaust. That explains some of that…Very cool thx for that info. Any chance you have some pics you can share of the car?

· Registered
534 Posts
No kidding. I remember there being some confusion back in 2005 re: Borla vs Magnaflow for the SAP exhaust. That explains some of that…Very cool thx for that info. Any chance you have some pics you can share of the car?
A couple more of the exhaust set up. All is how it came from GM except for long tubes. Interesting that they used the 04 muffler locations, and another interesting quirk about the car is that while it is an 05(verified with VIN and computer check), it does not have a dead pedal. Very early or likely first 05 preproduction car
Trigger Musical instrument Bumper Automotive exterior Shotgun
Musical instrument Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Bumper
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

· |G|et |T|urned |O|n
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Great pix, thank you for sharing what you have there! Looks to be full SAP with some GM custom adds. And agreed interesting they used the 04 muffler location and no dead pedal. 5k miles on the clock, incredible. Even the Pontiac arrowhead on the front is still red and hasn’t yet turned orange!

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

· Worthless reject member
84,756 Posts
“Retro Package” by GM.
LOL if true. Smurfing GM.

Not a fan of the SAP package, but i must admit that the 05/06 hood adds some nice lines to the front end. I was a big fan of the flat hood look when the GTO was released, though, and originally wanted a bzj rpo 05.

· Worthless reject member
84,756 Posts

· Registered
2005 red, Mast blk label heads and cam, magnacharger mp112, e85 conversion, FLT stage 6
207 Posts
Yeah i just had two of my 17s widened 1in. Will rock them for summer tires next year.
Found someone that might have a set of the MC2 wheels theyll part with. But I realized that any additional width I add, ideally 1-1.5 inches to get 275+ tires, will grow inward and require quite a bit of modification to the inner wall/suspension etc. I'm on stock suspension and Im guessing if I add 1-1.5" more wheel width to the inside will essentially require mini tubbing I would think.

· Registered
3,021 Posts
Found someone that might have a set of the MC2 wheels theyll part with. But I realized that any additional width I add, ideally 1-1.5 inches to get 275+ tires, will grow inward and require quite a bit of modification to the inner wall/suspension etc. I'm on stock suspension and Im guessing if I add 1-1.5" more wheel width to the inside will essentially require mini tubbing I would think.
I had mine add a inch 17x9 and should fit a 275 fine.

Those mc2 sure look like theres some depth to them. The spokes arent flush to the outside so you could have them extended that way as well

· Registered
2005 red, Mast blk label heads and cam, magnacharger mp112, e85 conversion, FLT stage 6
207 Posts
Are you referring to how the spokes attach a little bit inward from the outside/face lip of the wheels. Thus implying they could cut the wheel there and add the additional material there as shown in the attached picture? Im guessing that is not what you meant as that would be visible on the outward chromed face of the wheel.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Silver

· Registered
3,021 Posts
Are you referring to how the spokes attach a little bit inward from the outside/face lip of the wheels. Thus implying they could cut the wheel there and add the additional material there as shown in the attached picture? Im guessing that is not what you meant as that would be visible on the outward chromed face of the wheel. View attachment 511430
not exactly where your line is but the barrel outwards of the spoke..id think theyd get refinished after either way. isnt the barrel chromed behind the spokes?

· GR-RRR!
14,224 Posts
Saw this one at a Cars and Coffee in Lincoln, NE yesterday (9/24/2021). Owner says it is an original SAP car with just 22k miles.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Only mod to the car is the wheels, they are VMRs.

· Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,617 Posts

· GR-RRR!
14,224 Posts
I was having a hard time with the lighting trying to be sure. I like the MBM color.
You can thank my crappy old phone and the very early morning light. BTW, I got a new phone on Sunday, LOL!

· |G|et |T|urned |O|n
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Judge Appearance Package?

A question for anyone who may have an inside contact at GM or somehow just knows anything about this—

Way back in the day, I believe I recall hearing rumors that GM was originally planning to do an 05/06 GTO “Judge” edition. But only recently I read something online that possibly the SAP components may have originally been intended for a Judge model. And that all 3 years of the “base” GTO would receive the LS1 engine, with the LS2 being used only for the Judge model. Intriguing.

One could assume that similar to the confirmed 2004 GTOs final 800-units Pulse red (hidden) “40th Anniversary” package/callouts, possibly the “Judge” project was killed by GM after the initial poor reception of the new GTO by the general public. Instead, the “40th Anniversary” callouts never materialize, and GM sells off the Judge components as the 05/06 Sport Appearance Package. And as we all know, the LS2 became the standard engine for all 05s and 06s. Just curious if this is stupid Interwebs fake news, or if there is actually any truth behind short-lived plans for a Judge model.

Edit—answering my own question, I recently was fortunate to have a conversation with someone in GM who was directly involved with both the V2 Monaro and the new GTO. He confirmed that aside from some undocumented/underground plan for a Judge, there were no formal GM plans for a Judge model that he was aware of. Case closed.

· |G|et |T|urned |O|n
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Interesting….. just found this image buried in another SAP thread. (edit) FYI—this is a poster from the Jan 2005 issue of Hot Rod magazine. (/edit) I think this is the first Pontiac print/ad I’ve seen for the SAP package where the lower center black plastic of the front extension was painted body color…

Car Vehicle Grille Tire Hood

But then again, if you look at the following poster of the PBM SAP GTO with the Grand Prix GXP, you can see the OEM front grille was left on behind the SAP front extension. I don’t think anyone knew the right way to install/paint these, even Pontiac/GM dealers.

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light Wheel

41 - 60 of 107 Posts