LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wait is over and the job is complete....

http://groups.msn.com/RaffertyHouse/stereo.msnw?Page=3
http://groups.msn.com/RaffertyHouse/stereo.msnw?Page=4

I'm very pleased. You'll notice the new trim pieces for the subs look really shinny, they are armor all'd and the flash really brightens them up. in normal lighting, they look 100% factory.

Scott gave me a little suprise... notice the GTO plexiglass grills over the sub - I LOVE THEM.

Now I need some GTO letters for the black strips on the amps.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it broke even on the weight

nikivee said:
So how much weight did it add your the car. :D

Since I removed the spare, jack and blocks, I think it's about the same. I didn't weigh it though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Expect quite a few PMs from me in the future ;) Not looking to do quite as extensive an install, but would certainly like a few tips.

Great looking (and clean!) system. :hail:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
enclosure thickness

mike1421 said:
How many layers of fiberglass went on those sub enclosures?
about 6-8 layers, they dont give or flex at all. You'd be suprised how solid the car is too. there are no rattles outside and you can put your hand on the quarter panel outside (right behind the sub) and there is no flex or movement.

I forgot to mention the system sounds incredible. I can definately tell the power is very clean and the speakers just love all the power. I've listened to DVD, CD and MP3, all of which are clean. It's wild just how crystal clear everything sounds at high volume.

There are a couple minor things left (get the serial number off the satellite receiver so I can register, oops) and get the programming squared away on the steering wheel controls; it's wired but not programmed yet (might be a while) and procure the GTO badging for the black stripes on the amps. I'm also toying w/ doing something on the right side of the trunk, where there is a larger space. I was thinking some kind of embroidering or a large pontiac arrowhead. Any creative ideas welcome.

And thanks for the positive feedback !!!

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
josephra said:
about 6-8 layers, they dont give or flex at all. You'd be suprised how solid the car is too. there are no rattles outside and you can put your hand on the quarter panel outside (right behind the sub) and there is no flex or movement.

I forgot to mention the system sounds incredible. I can definately tell the power is very clean and the speakers just love all the power. I've listened to DVD, CD and MP3, all of which are clean. It's wild just how crystal clear everything sounds at high volume.

There are a couple minor things left (get the serial number off the satellite receiver so I can register, oops) and get the programming squared away on the steering wheel controls; it's wired but not programmed yet (might be a while) and procure the GTO badging for the black stripes on the amps. I'm also toying w/ doing something on the right side of the trunk, where there is a larger space. I was thinking some kind of embroidering or a large pontiac arrowhead. Any creative ideas welcome.

And thanks for the positive feedback !!!
Maybe a frosted Pontiac arrowhead logo on a glass insert into the amp cover (the carpet one I mean), with a red flourescent underneath (between the amps)? That might look cool. But might be too much of a PITA given that the system is already assembled.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Looks like beautiful workmanship. I never would have thought to stick the subs in the sides like that. If you ever want to do fabric there, the suede-like stuff in the GTO is called Alcantra.

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
wow, that looks amazing, I am very impressed. Those GTO covers for the subs in the back seat look sweet!

So.. you never answered, what did this whole setup set you back? I'm just GUESSING about $2,000?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5point7 said:
wow, that looks amazing, I am very impressed. Those GTO covers for the subs in the back seat look sweet!

So.. you never answered, what did this whole setup set you back? I'm just GUESSING about $2,000?
Thanks for the compliments, I've been passing them along to the installer. Regarding price, I never believed it proper to discuss money with strangers. I will say it was a professional install w/ high end gear. The system is a competition quality system and the time that went into it was greater than what I actually paid for. It needs a few minor tweaks for sound deadening (noticing a few things after hearing it more) but I'll wait a few weeks to make sure all the rattles come loose first so we dont miss anything.

I had a choice to do either this or a super charger w/ long tubes. I can hear some folks now... what was I thinking to go w/ a stereo over power. I chose this as I knew winter is coming and the aftermarket for the GTO is still new. I'm hoping to see a few more forced air products come to fruition before I commit.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Something like this with fiberglassing will usually cost you between 5-7K for those who are wondering.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The installer did a hell of a job. That kind of work around here isn't cheap either. Congrats on a awesome system.. I hope mine looks half that good when I'm done..

·
Registered
264 Posts
does your guy know anyone in the North Carolina area??? or does anyone for that matter... i'll be moving there and wanting to do work like that also... although i am looking more like all JL and MB quarts stuff

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is an awesome setup. I doubt I will go with that HU(too pricey for me), but I plan on doing those sub enclosures exactly the same. Thansk for the idea, because I was at my wits end trying to figure out how to use the trunk without losing too much.

·
Registered
142 Posts
OH yeah, is there anyway you can get me rough dims to work with on those enclosures? Especially the depth I have to play with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts