LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 2004 auto gto witha cam, headers, etc.

I have been driving the car for some time now after the dyno tune and I have noticed a ticking that has been driving me nuts. At idle the car sounds amazing. No ticking whatsoever. But once I hit 1500 and up it gets a tick that isn’t very consistent, kinda towards the passenger side but I can’t tell in all honesty. In fact when I’m driving 60mph it has a very odd pattern it’s not a steady tick
I did put a melling pump high pressure and volume, and I ended up pinching the oring which I fixed after the dyno session. But the ticking never went away. The ticking isn’t dependent on temperature though, if it’s cold it’ll tick and if it’s hot it’ll tick just the same.
I’ll post a video.
If anyone has any ideas it’d be greatly appreciated. I also forgot to mention I put ls7 lifters and hardened pushrods in the motor so I don’t think it’s any of those.

I started thinking maybe it’s a flywheel but it’s more of a tick then a flywheel knock.

Any ideas? Thanks guys

·
Registered
576 Posts
As dumb as it sounds check your idler and tensioner pulleys. I just had a truck at work that did the same thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As dumb as it sounds check your idler and tensioner pulleys. I just had a truck at work that did the same thing.
Worth a shot. Thanks man. The noise ended up getting so bad today I got the car towed home. I sounds almost like on the bottom of the motor. But I’ll run the motor without a belt for a couple minutes and see if it makes any noise. Thank you!

·
Registered
576 Posts
No problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did take the belt off and no change in sound. It sounds like it’s coming from the rear of the motor. I’ll try to get a better clip tomorrow. I’m afraid it maybe spun a bearing or somthing. If it spun a bearing wouldn’t there be metal in the oil though? Cause oil looks clean as could be.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It almost sounded like a bolt is bouncing around inside. Wonder if your oil pick up got loose and is bouncing around under rev. - that’s all I can come up with anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It almost sounded like a bolt is bouncing around inside. Wonder if your oil pick up got loose and is bouncing around under rev. - that’s all I can come up with anyway.
I would be shocked. I’ve put probably close to 1000 miles on the combo, and when I had torn it apart to fix the ticking (or so I thought) all bolts were still in place. Plus for it to survive a dyno tune..

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
What rockers and valve covers are you using? I just listened again and I had a very similar sound with the rocker tapping the valve covers.

·
It's only cosmetic...
537 Posts
Get a stethoscope and put it up to the timing cover. Sounds like you have a worn timing chain guide creating a little slop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get a stethoscope and put it up to the timing cover. Sounds like you have a worn timing chain guide creating a little slop.
Alright I’ll do this, I mean I did put a brand new ls2 timing and a brand new dampener. I know these motors didn’t come with one from the factory so I just added a factory one on.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Does it only make ticking after you rev it? or does it do it all the time right?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I wonder if you have a lifter collapsing. Can you tell which side its on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well all... I took the heads off today because I couldn’t handle myself anymore. And I found that my lifters were ground down. And it destroyed the cam. I think that’s because I put the wrong lifter trays in it. Rookie move by me. I appreciate everyone’s input. I guess I know to buy ac delco GM trays from now on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts