LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, this isnt exactly a race but a question.

My brother is car shopping and saw a GTO with a "Judge Kit" at a dealership that came with a ram air hood and some chrome wheels. We have also discussed the new Cobra.

Looking for reasons for or against either. Money is not really an object...

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
GTO's don't have ram air(yet ;) ), so it would be for looks only, chrome wheels could
be very nice, but that ain't no judge kit. More marketing BS by the dealer if you ask me. Cobra is faster,(it should be, it costs more.) but other than that the GTO is far more car for the money.

·
LSX Motors Rock!
2,684 Posts
The Cobra is faster but not nearly as nice inside. Also I think the Cobra ranks among the top 10 as far as highest to insure. Go for the GTO you will not be disappointed. Oh if your worried about th 04 no being as fast as a Cobra just wait till the 05 GTO comes out.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Pontiac GTO said:
The Cobra is faster but not nearly as nice inside. Also I think the Cobra ranks among the top 10 as far as highest to insure. Go for the GTO you will not be disappointed. Oh if your worried about the 04 no being as fast as a Cobra just wait till the 05 GTO comes out.
Insurance on Cobra's is expensive...I got quoted $2k/6mos for a GT vs. $1100/yr for my GTO. Go figure.

There's no such thing as Ram Air. Never has been. Sorry.

And there are plenty of right away mods you can do to blow away any Mustang, Cobra or not.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Get the Cobra if you want all out performance. A chip, pulley and x-pipe will make serious power for few dollars.

FLAME SUIT ON!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an 01 Cobra. It's not the supercharged 03/04, but still pretty quick. Other than the engine (na vs. sc), transmission (5 vs. 6 speed), and tire size (245 vs. 275), there's not a lot else different. Anyway, I am probably trading it in on an 05 GTO when they're available. The Cobra is an OK car, but I'm looking for something more sophisticated and refined. I don't know if my Cobra is typical or not, but its driveline/clutch leave a lot to be desired in terms of smoothness/harmony. I am just getting tired of driving it, honestly. The straight-line-tracking and composure over bumps are pretty suck, too. Now some of these things might be issues with my specific car, and could be fixed/improved, but I just don't feel like putting in the effort when nothing is guaranteed. Did I mention the stock ride height sucks? Bah, too late to mod it now. Goat for me. Gimme that 6.0L V8. I never was totally happy with moving *down* in displacement from my '89 5.0 Mustang.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
My experience is with 03 Cobras, and I'll agree that they are less refined and exbit many squeaks and rattles, I also hate the seats and shifter location, but these cars are brutes and the whine of that eaton is super cool

·
Registered
61 Posts
WKDWS6 said:

My brother is car shopping and saw a GTO with a "Judge Kit" at a dealership that came with a ram air hood and some chrome wheels. We have also discussed the new Cobra.

I've had 5 stangs before my goat. None of them can compare to the quality of the GTO. It's a little more expensive to have the GTO next to the Cobra when it comes to mod vs mod but that's the price you pay to have some luxury. With luxury comes weight.

If you want to go fast for peanuts take the Cobra. It has a strong bottom end that has taken over 1000 hp with no failure. You will find yourself in the same old mustang though.

If you don't plan on modifying the car then just keep in mind that the Cobra is almost 1 second faster than the GTO in the 1/4

It really comes down to what you want. Weigh out the pros and cons of each of the cars according to your taste and needs and then make a decicion. Pretty simple huh? :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
03/04 Cobra is definitely a brute of a car. If that's what you're looking for, go for it. If you're gonna mod it, I'd say it's excellent bang-for-the-buck. If you're gonna leave it stock, I'd say it's merely "good" bang-for-the-buck. After all, mid 30's MSRP is pretty dang expensive for what is essentially a Mustang at the core. Personally, I have outgrown my "speed is more important than anything else" phase. I want more comfort and refinement in the equation. I hope the goat doesn't disappoint. I don't think it will.

·
US Monaro-IBM/B/M6-K&N
739 Posts
I Test Drove a '05 GT ... Tough Choice .. coin toss..

... Okay, for what it's worth and to add to your delema ... Wait a month :zzz: and go test drive the '05 Mustang GT ... In late July I drove one for about 30 miles on a consumer survey, 4.6 V8/A4 /300Hp ... Great Styling (like a '67) w/ modern laidout interior. It was nimble, sure footed, great handling, fun to drive, great sound when I put my foot in it .. but it will NOT beat the GTO and I don't think the 5spd would either, but the Cobra version probably can .. don't know. (Put a SC on a Goat and wahla .. Cobra Killer.)

.... I agree with what has been said so far about the quality of the Mustang and GTO ... :rolleyes: .. however .. Ford seems to have made improvment in this area with the '05 ... new interior with a retro flair and "selectable background illuminated instruments" (kinda like customizing your stock Windows Desktop) and neat swirly vents for the aircon, and leather seats.

..... Bottom line .. If the GTO was NOT on the road .. I'd be trading my Ol'96 Mustang in on this new '05 GT or SVT ... but I think the GTO is the better made car, AND in our limited numbers, it will always standout as a Classic and Retain its value.
.. :hail: They don't call it the GreaT One for nothing .. ... okay back to .. my oowwnnn b'ness ... R/ BBD

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
BluGoatDvr said:
Get the Cobra if you want all out performance. A chip, pulley and x-pipe will make serious power for few dollars.

FLAME SUIT ON!
No flame suit needed. This is true. For all out power, the Cobra is a winner. But, as others have said, it's a little past it's prime in the other areas.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
WKDWS6 said:

For both sides of the argument, I would ask the same question on an '03/'04 Cobra forum,
then compare the answers to the ones posted here... ;)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Angus said:
For both sides of the argument, I would ask the same question on an '03/'04 Cobra forum,
then compare the answers to the ones posted here... ;)
I think I can already guess what some of the answers on the Mustang board would be..."You're cross-shopping with that Cavalier?! Jeez!"

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for the responses so far. Pretty much what I was guessing. Figured the GTO would be a better overall car minus some acceleration. When will the 05's (GTO)be available? Are they going to have a higher sticker price?
Yeah the "ram air" hood was a dealer thing, and I wasnt implying it was functional, just the look...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Thanks guys for the responses so far. Pretty much what I was guessing. Figured the GTO would be a better overall car minus some acceleration. When will the 05's (GTO)be available? Are they going to have a higher sticker price?
Yeah the "ram air" hood was a dealer thing, and I wasnt implying it was functional, just the look...
Based on what happened with the 04's and assuming GM learned from it's shipping mistakes the 05's will hit the dealers early to mid December. The only price quoted so far is under $35,000 however there are more options available so who knows for sure. It wasn't until November '03 that we learned the pricing on the '04.
:drink::drink:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The choice comes down to priorities. The GTO is more comfortable, easier to drive, easy to live with, and feels more like a new car in 2004.

The Cobra offers insane power, ability to get more insane power cheap.

Now the problem is people want power and comfort and both cars do give it. So whats the big difference ? Feel. The 03 Cobra is the best stang ever made on that platform but the chasis and ride shows the age. You are a passenger in the car and the interior and ride count for something. Another thing to conside is power. The GTO is no dog and that makes you think. If the GTO had 300hp and ran low 15s it wouldn't even be a comparison.

I've driven in the 03 Cobra and own the GTO. Overall you need to drive them both.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having owned many cars (including 5 mustangs) I traded in my 03 Cobra for an 04 GTO and am very pleased with the decision (even my wife is pleased) nuff' said

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
GTO is superior

1 - 20 of 81 Posts