LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Get this!!:
Minding my own business and I roll into the local watering hole after a long week.
Am halfway to the door and get challenged by a Mitsu. We check each others ride. Lets go!

I stroll to the light, no deal. He catches me and we roll. 2nd goes good but 3rd took him walking away.

·
Big Pappa
298 Posts
dmonty said:
Get this!!:
Minding my own business and I roll into the local watering hole after a long week. 216.117.140.21
Am halfway to the door and get challenged by a Mitsu. We check each other s ride. Lets go!

I stroll to the light, no deal. He catches me and we roll. 2nd goes good but 3rd took him walking away.
im not sure if im understanding how this went down...

BTW wanna meet today,tonight?

·
Expelled
8,316 Posts
dmonty said:
Get this!!:
Minding my own business and I roll into the local watering hole after a long week. 216.117.140.21
Am halfway to the door and get challenged by a Mitsu. We check each other s ride. Lets go!

Nice kill, did you notice he was minding his own business!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
just try not to get too ****y around the turbo eclipses, talons and lasers ... there are plenty of them on the street that would make you feel very very embarrased :thumbs:

jack

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Funny you should mention a Turbo Talon, blazetsi. I got challenged by one the other night, but I was in my "driving slow" phase and told him "I can't afford the ticket."

Now, I told myself that it wouldn't be much of a race anyway and wasn't worth the risk. You seem to know, however, that the Turbo Talon is pretty quick. Glad you pointed that out for me. :D

dmonty, good job on the Eclipse. Those seem to be very popular cars around here. There are almost as many Eclipses as Mustangs.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
blazetsi said:
just try not to get too ****y around the turbo eclipses, talons and lasers ... there are plenty of them on the street that would make you feel very very embarrased :thumbs:

jack
I use to like roasting the Diamond Trio in my Volvo. Of course it was an 850R with modded computer, wastgate, exhaust (you get my drift). It put 251 bhp on the ground and at 3100 lbs it was pretty quick. It was quick enough to put Stang GTs down by 2 cars in the 1/8 mile. It was "boxy but quick!" :gr_jest: So far only 1 turbo Eclipse GSX in the goat and he was toast! I do know of one in town that is suppose to be blistering fast but have not seen it yet! :secret:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
type R said:
im not sure if im understanding how this went down...

BTW wanna meet today,tonight?
Basically we were rolling slowly to pace each other in 2nd and then hit it. I was inching on him in 2nd but when I dumped into 3rd I took him by 2-3 lengths. Did this twice. We planned to try and catch a light but it wasnt possible and since we had empty road he gave the go ahead.

Sorry I couldnt get back to you earlier. Had to work a bit this AM and one of my female friends wanted to hang out and be seen in the GTO, if you get my drift.

Are you busy next Saturday? I have the dyno in the AM and may hang out with the other area GTOs for a bit but so far I will be free after that.

Let me know if this is feasible for you,
_DM

·
Grumpy Old Man
393 Posts
blazetsi said:

jack

Agreed, I'm not a DSM fanboy, but I'll admit you want to walk softly around these. Especially those trying to be sly in bating a race. You might end up cleaning the black off your bumper from his rich running ride.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
Were are all these FAST imports on the street?????? Around here there is only one or two that I know of. One is a 10 sec Supra and the the other is a Lexus GS340, runs 11's. Other than those two cars everything else is no big deal. I always get challenged by some import guy in a VW, Mitsu, Rx7, etc. Frankly. I get fed up with being challenged at every red light by these guys and just laugh and tell them to take dads car home. :D

The ones I've raced at the strip could turn no better than 14's or high 13's. Though there is one old Datsun sedan running a rotary that runs 9's!!! But it's a dedictaed drag car.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
nikivee said:
Were are all these FAST imports on the street?????? Around here there is only one or two that I know of. One is a 10 sec Supra and the the other is a Lexus GS340, runs 11's. Other than those two cars everything else is no big deal. I always get challenged by some import guy in a VW, Mitsu, Rx7, etc. Frankly. I get fed up with being challenged at every red light by these guys and just laugh and tell them to take dads car home. :D

The ones I've raced at the strip could turn no better than 14's or high 13's. Though there is one old Datsun sedan running a rotary that runs 9's!!! But it's a dedictaed drag car.
That's what I'm saying. I did find a place where the import racers hangout. I will check it out next week.
:secret:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was never into imports either... my first car was a 1987 Camaro IROC-Z with the 350 in it... was fun and all but it just fell on its face winding higher in the rpm range... so then I decided it was time for a change... I kinda fell for turbo dsm's due to their wide availability (except for clean turbo all wheel drive models)... they are easy to mod and have a HUGE aftermarket/community support, easy to work on ... and of course run rich (my rear bumper was black before i washed it)... but its all about what people are into... and when i spool up that turbo to 18psi... its like a slingshot.... and don't catch me at a light because ill dump the clutch at 5500 on your ass!! :) Anyway happy motoring!

PS: my next car will have an LS1 in it ;)

·
Grumpy Old Man
393 Posts
nikivee said:

I hope you aren't laughing at 3rd gen RX7s

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
AMRAAM4 said:
I hope you aren't laughing at 3rd gen RX7s
You mean the ones that have to have their motors replaced as frequently as their oil!!! :bomb:

·
2,432 Posts
blazetsi said:

jack
This kind of response always makes me smile. While it's true it assumes that there are a lot of modded ricers that can beat a stock GTO, but it never assumes the GTO is also modded.

Stock vs stock the GTO is all good against all of these cars. If both cars are modded the GTO would still be fine, unless the GTO isn't modded much or well and rice is.

Just last night I went for a drive with some guys from the local F-body club and it turns out one of them has a pretty modded C5 Vette. We pulled up to a light with me in front of the C5 and an Eclipse in the other lane next to the Vette. The driver yells over to the C5 that he could take both of us. The Eclipse guy must have missed that the C5 sounded like a NASCAR.

·
Grumpy Old Man
393 Posts
Doc GTO said:
You mean the ones that have to have their motors replaced as frequently as their oil!!! :bomb:
Please don't be ignorant like a lot of forums. Yes they have problems, but there are reasons for it, like idiots who just add stuff to the car and don't bother to tune it.

I like the GTO, but I am also an owner of a '94 RX7 that I have revamped in the last year as a weekend driver. The car is worth about what a Goat will be worth in a year. Please don't portray yourselves here as ignorant car people, put yourselves on a higher level. There's no reason to poke fun at a world renouned car...we all have one enjoyment, autos.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Yikes!

AMRAAM4 said:
Please don't be ignorant like a lot of forums. Yes they have problems, but there are reasons for it, like idiots who just add stuff to the car and don't bother to tune it.

I like the GTO, but I am also an owner of a '94 RX7 that I have revamped in the last year as a weekend driver. The car is worth about what a Goat will be worth in a year. Please don't portray yourselves here as ignorant car people, put yourselves on a higher level. There's no reason to poke fun at a world renouned car...we all have one enjoyment, autos.
#1. You need to chill out. If you're new to the forum you must understand that we do this all in fun.

#2. The RX7 in stock form (like the factory designed it) was one hell of a car. Heck, Mazda's Rotory was the only Japanese car to win Le Mans outright (Mazda 727B). With some aftermarket mods that motor became a ticking time bomb. The 13B had some inherent problems that would only show itself when pushed to the limit. This is the main reason that we have the RX8 Renesis motor that can make almost the same power without turbos!

#3. Welcome to the Forum

The car ('94 RX7) is worth about what a Goat will be worth in a year.

According to who? You or Kelly Blue Book? Heck, with that thinking I think I'll put my 1979 Alfa Sprint GTV for sale at $20K :gr_jest: LOL

·
Grumpy Old Man
393 Posts
Doc GTO said:
#1. You need to chill out. If you're new to the forum you must understand that we do this all in fun.

#2. The RX7 in stock form (like the factory designed it) was one hell of a car. Heck, Mazda's Rotory was the only Japanese car to win Le Mans outright (Mazda 727B). With some aftermarket mods that motor became a ticking time bomb. The 13B had some inherent problems that would only show itself when pushed to the limit. This is the main reason that we have the RX8 Renesis motor that can make almost the same power without turbos!

#3. Welcome to the Forum

The car ('94 RX7) is worth about what a Goat will be worth in a year.

According to who? You or Kelly Blue Book? Heck, with that thinking I think I'll put my 1979 Alfa Sprint GTV for sale at $20K :gr_jest: LOL
Your half right and half wrong. Renesis is no where near close in WHP and the TMV for a 94 RX7 of mine's caliber is well over $20k. You've never even seen my car nor know the RX7 market. A shell alone will get you close to $9k on a '94 or '95. There were only 3400 '94s and 500 '95s imported. Now take those 2 numbers and subtract the countless one's that have rotted away over the years by people who didn't appreciate them, or moreso the number totalled by young kids who can't handle them.

I agree with the LeMans part, but a 3rd gen doesn't have a 13B, it has a 13BREW. And tuned properly a modified RX7 will be no match for a stock RX7.

I'm not here to argue RX7's, I'm here due to interest in the GTO. However, when people feel the need to make uninformed comments or act ****y, I like to provide accurate info. Think of it as helping someone out, no one likes to be embarassed.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
The RX7, that's rear wheel drive, right?

LOL, beats me, but I met up with a young man in what I THINK was an RX7. It sounded great, really loud, deep throated exhaust, but not that V8 deep, something different. We didn't race or anything, just talked cars in the Sheet's parking lot. He said his carb wasn't working right, but whenever he got it fixed, he'd like to line 'em up.

I saw him again this past Saturday as he pulled into the cruise-in. His car still sounded good, but he claimed the carb still wasn't tuned. He managed a tiny squeak from his tires (yes, rear wheel drive) as he left. Nice kid, cute car.

I don't know enough about cars to say what's fast and what isn't. I've been surprised that Car A was so slow and Car B was so fast. I'm learning what MY car can do, and I'll guess I'll learn the hard way what anyone else's car can do.

The point is, let's have fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts