LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chalked up both a loss and a kill today simultaneously!!

Coming up a section of highway where everyone hauls butt and I was playing with a few trucks. Nothing serious of course, not at least that I could tell. :D

While this is going on I notice a Mustang a few cars back and a Trans Am way back there. We enter town and the Mustang catches up and joins in the fun, still nothing serious.

When we get near the middle of town the T/A catches up and apparently the trucks realize what is inevitable. The upcoming light turns red and its me, the T/A, and the Stang on the line! :bubbrub

Not much time to prepare. T/A revs up while I am turning off traction control. Right after that the light changes and we launch HARD!! I stay with the T/A through 1st and 2nd but the Stang is in the rearview by a few lengths. I am in the left lane and he is in the right on a 3 lane so he had to be back there for me to see him. Am still even with the T/A when I hit the rev limiter in 2nd. I missed the shift to 3rd by a fraction of a second but thats all he needed. I couldnt catch up and he pulled me by 2 lengths real quick like!

We catch the next light and everyone has that grin :D and he yells over "Man, that thing HAULS ASS!! Is that bone stock?" I reply "Yeah, but I hit the rev limiter in 2nd!" He says stock here too! T/A passenger replies that my hole shot was awesome and that they have 300 lbs of gear in the trunk. Later on I realized that that would mean more traction.

I guess the Stang was fuming because we left the light normally (somewhat) and the Stang rips around us and I see the Mach1 badges. I think that this is the guy was tailing me last week trying to show off.

I admit driver error for the 2nd gear rev limit hit and loss to the T/A. I think I have 1st down now and need to practice with 2nd. Actually this was probably for the best because if we stayed even it may have gotten dangerous.

I am also suspect that the Mach1 blew it due to error, he looked to be in the early 20's and new to the game.

It was truly the most invigorating run I have had yet!!!
_DM

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Nice crunch on the Ford. I don't take F bodies lightly. I've seen too many out there that were stoopid fast.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
First off, good Ford kill. As I have said before, the driver is one of the most important parts of a cars performance. Keep up the practice with the shifts until they flow like a hot knife through warm butter . . . Once the launce and shifts are mastered you will be a terror to your future contenders!!!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nice kill and nice death.

That would have been great to see on the street. So the stang was actually a Mach1 ? and got pulled pretty hard ? Hmm, interesting must be driver.

Without that missed shift things should have been real close with the TA. I figure with him and a passenger and some stuff in back that near eliminates the weight advantage he had on you and with the same motors :thumbs:

good clean fun

·
err... MEOW!
113 Posts
Well, you know what they say about Ford:

Fast Only Rolling Downhill

and
(spelled backwards) Driver Returns On Foot
:D

·
err... MEOW!
113 Posts
OK — here's a few more:

First On Recall Day
Fatally Obese Redneck Driver
Fault Of R&D
Finally Obsolete Racing Device
Flipped Over Roadside Disaster
Forced On Reluctant Drivers
Formed Of Rejected DNA
Fork Over Repair Dough
Frequent Opinion: Really Disappointed

…and of course the GTO ones:

Gas, Tires, Oil
Good To Own
Get The Others
Good Time Out
Gone To Overdrive
:D

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i saw a commercial on the internet from back in the 60's. i guess they were trying to market the GTO to women as well. they called it Girls Take Over. thought that was amusing

·
err... MEOW!
113 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i saw a commercial on the internet from back in the 60's. i guess they were trying to market the GTO to women as well. they called it Girls Take Over. thought that was amusing
Well, once I'm hooked up with my ride - I just might take over! ;)

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
alleykt123 said:
OK — here's a few more:

First On Recall Day
Fatally Obese Redneck Driver
Fault Of R&D
Finally Obsolete Racing Device
Flipped Over Roadside Disaster
Forced On Reluctant Drivers
Formed Of Rejected DNA
Fork Over Repair Dough
Frequent Opinion: Really Disappointed

:(.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Aw shucks, I feel bad for Pinski. Seems like a pretty good guy. Ya gotta have a thick skin to hang with this crowd. Those Falcon guys are pretty tough on the LS1 Aussies. I saw a list of derogatory Holden acronyms that would curdle your blood! :punch:

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
pinski said:
Don't worry - there's only one true acronym that GTO owners need to remember:

First On Race Day :p

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts