LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed out to the local hangout last night. After parking a guy came up and wanted know if I wanted to run his friend's "stock" 03 Cobra. I was game and we headed out to a deserted stretch of road. On the way there I chatted a bit with the owner/driver and he told me had a filter,exhaust,pulley, and chip. I was kind of bummed but wanted to run him nonetheless. I have raced a couple stock ones and have walked them without a problem.

Once we get out the stretch of road we take off from a 2nd gear roll at about 30mph or so. We both spin a little and I started to inch ahead and we shut down as the road was a tiny bit wet. We head further down to another open stretch and park and end up just chatting. Pretty cool guy from Boca. He says he's a registered member here so speak up if you read this. After we leave this spot we go from another 2nd gear roll. I end up pulling him slowly to about a 1.5 car lead and we ended up shuttinig down at about 120 or so. We then have our final race from a 5mph first gear roll and I pulled him about a car and a half or so. I shifted from 4th gear at about 5k or so into 5th gear and stayed in it. I dropped way back out of my power band and I hear him coming. I stay in the throttle anyway and he comes walking by. It was a good run nonetheless. We end up heading out to another hangout and he told me how he was contemplating buying a GTO before he bought his Cobra. It was a good race and he was a cool guy too. He was impressed the car pulled so good on the bottom end. If you read this Spence, say what's up and chime in. Great race man.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me about it, it doesn't happen very often at all. It was nice to meet a ford guy and have some good runs.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Goes to show if you are a nice guy, it doesn't matter what you drive. If you are a jerk, you could have the fastest car in the world and in the end you are still a jerk.

We had a troll here from Houston who claims he has a really fast Mach 1. It doesn't matter if he has an F16 fighter jet. In the end, he was just a troll that got owned by everyone here and came home crying to his momma then begged all of us to take down his ownage pics.

Tell your friend the Cobra owner he could come here anytime and we would rather converse with him than Mr Houston Troll. Looks like you barely killed him. He could have killed you on the other hand. Must be your lucky night.

Great story and good kill.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
It's cool to talk to car enthusiasts period, no matter what they drive. I actually
like the Mach I's. They have an orange one at a dealer nearby at an awesome price
after rebates. My friend is waiting for the new gen. Cobra, but I'm trying to talk him
into getting that orange Mach I. He's a Ford guy and yet he is a cool dude. LOLOLOL

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
nice kill and sounds like a nice guy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like a good kill. Sounds like he was stock too. Wait till he starts modding................................... :secret:
The new Cobras are just plain nasty once you mod them. Its unreal their potential power with so little money in them. I havent even seen a single GTO in Austin, much less found 1 to run yet. :banghead:

Wait, nevermind just read he is modded. I am pretty suprised by this outcome then. He should have close to 450 to the wheels with those mods. Sounds like driver won this race!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
my buddy ran 12.4 with thoes mods and put down 460rwhp.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
GMH GTO said:
my buddy ran 12.4 with thoes mods and put down 460rwhp.

We have Goats running 12.2s with 400 rwhp. I'm sure your buddy has the ability to run faster or at least his car does! 460 rwhp is strong :eek2:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last time I dyno'd I put down 381. Since then I've put my intake on and exhaust. The car feels a bit stronger but who knows. My pulley and 3.91 gears got here today. The LT's are still a week away. I'm hoping for 425whp when all is said and done. I think my car is putting down a bit more power but I'm being very conservative in the Hp rating dept. The dyno I used to got to all the time does measurements in STD and after I got the tune done at REVxtreme in tampa I re-dyno'd at the dyno there and put down a little over 400whp (403 or 404) but this was in STD measurements. I don't bother to post the STD measurements anymore. The 381 I put down at revxtreme was after 12-15 pulls in 80%+ humidity while it was raining. I'm sure on a dry day it would put down a bit more. You know I like to post vids for you guys all the time so the next run is going to be taped.

Spence (the guy with the cobra) said the best he's been able to run is a 12.5 @112mph but he mentioned he has trapped 115mph.

I know my car should trap a quite a bit more than my best run shows as well. I posted a vid for you guys myself and a black SS at the track. He was trapping 111-112 all day and I was able to pull him as well on the street.

·
Resident Douche M3 Driver
1,597 Posts
Nice kill. Those are some healthy numbers for your Goat. See, not all us Ford guys are jerks :)

·
1,597 Posts
gtodoug said:
Yikes!, nice mods greycobra. Scary mods actually. and thanks.
:thumbs:

·
Banned
8 Posts
With those mods on that 03 cobra a 12.5 best is as sad as that guy that ran 15's with his GTO. Maybe not that bad. My friend with a bassani catted x pipe and catback kandn panel filter, 2.80in pulley,and dialbosport combined with drag radials ran [email protected] Not bad for under 2k in mods.

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
LS1350 said:
With those mods on that 03 cobra a 12.5 best is as sad as that guy that ran 15's with his GTO. Maybe not that bad. My friend with a bassani catted x pipe and catback kandn panel filter, 2.80in pulley,and dialbosport combined with drag radials ran [email protected] Not bad for under 2k in mods.
I agree. I'm a firm believer that a 2.8" pulley, tune, gears, solid rear axle and DRs will put an otherwise stock Cobra in low 11s. Biggest issue with that car is traction traction traction.

·
1,597 Posts
pinski said:
I agree. I'm a firm believer that a 2.8" pulley, tune, gears, solid rear axle and DRs will put an otherwise stock Cobra in low 11s. Biggest issue with that car is traction traction traction.
Speaking from experience, prior to me getting the Whipple I had a 2.8 pulley, CAI, exhaust, Chip, and BFG DR's (stock 3.55 rear and IRS) and ran a best of 11.24 @124 (1.8 60ft). I'll be the first to admit that was kind of a freak run (my average was usually 11.4's at around 122) and I'll blame it good air and sticky track (a guy with a modded Viper had a bunch of VHT put down just before my run, he ran a 8.87 :hail: )

At the time my car dynoed at 483 rwhp and 503 rwtq

On my stock street tires I could only manage a few high 11's and low 12's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts