LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new reproduction shifter knob from GTOG8TA.com today. It looks pretty nice and I've added my impressions and data and comments below. In the photos, repop on the left, original on the right.

First impression out of the box is that it is a quality made item and looks great. The plastic casting is of high quality and the leather is nice. The stitching is neatly done. The brushed chrome of the repop is a little shinier than original, but my original has 40k miles on it though you'd think with use it would get polished (be shinier) a bit from use. Regardless, the difference isn't enough to gripe about and the repop actually looks great here.
The stock knob is weighted so I threw them on a scale to see how they measure up:

Repop: 314 grams/11.25 ounces
Original: 334 grams/11.75 ounces

Pretty similar, certainly nothing to complain about or not enough to ever notice in use I'm sure.

As you can see from the pictures, there are a few differences. The stitches themselves are a lot smaller than original and the thread color isn't exactly the same though I assume my original is a little faded and dirty from age and use. The course of the stitching is also slightly different. I haven't tried yet to mount it on a shifter stick but a quick finger poke (heh-heh) shows that the repop has a slightly smaller hole. Hopefully it isn't so small as to cause a difficult install and I'm sure the original is stretched out at the very bottom from having been installed for 10 or so years. Assuming the install won't be difficult, the smaller opening will help insure a snug rattle free fit. It does have the locating tab inside to keep the shift pattern square and in order to keep the knob from spinning on the shifter handle. I want to rush out to the shop to attempt an install but that part of my report will have to wait just a bit. It is just too darn cold to mess with the plastic of the console, I'd hate to break something due to my eagerness.

Overall, it is a nice knob. I will happily run it on my car now and for the foreseeable future keeping my original and a low mileage alternate original tucked away for posterity. We will see how well this repop knob holds up over time and through use but it will be some months yet before the GTO will see the road due to the Winter weather.

Attachments

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the knob installed to my original boot. You can clearly see the difference in stitching size and color here, but again, my boot stitching is probably faded somewhat. I don't think 99.9% of the observers will ever notice the difference and even if they did I doubt they'd think much about it.

I'll be installing this one on my Pro Billet shifter with the handle in the lowest position and as such the boot doesn't exactly sit up proud and tall, but instead is squashed down so the transition from boot to knob will be less obviously anyway.

The first photo is the reproduction, the second is my low mileage original spare so you can really see how the stitching size and color appears different. Again, once installed, who will really notice? Maybe Eric can give some feedback to the manufacturers and future runs (if there are any) can shoot for larger stitches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Nice review. Hopefully sales will be enough to warrant a 2.0 version. For most GTOs that have survived, this would be an upgrade.

·
Repeat LS3 Swapper
191 Posts
My 04 knob has been through the ringer. Not sure if the previous owner had scales for palms, but the top of the knob looks like someone took a grinder to it. This would be a nice upgrade for sure.

·
Eva, my new love
2,030 Posts
I've had an aftermarket billet aluminum knob for a few years. I am VERY happy to moving back to a stock style knob again and this one is a good way to do that.
Is on the stock shifter or is it an aftermarket shifter ?

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Pro Billet shifter. The handle on those use the stock knob (or whatever aftermarket knob you can make work on it). But it is intended to run with the stock knob.

Here's a photo of the Pro Billet installed with the original stock knob in place.

Attachments

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a photo of it installed on the car.

HOWEVER, the knob fits VERY snug on the shifter handle and in my enthusiasm to get to fully seat on the stick, I busted the ever-smurfing shit out of the cap that has the shift pattern in it. So, net result $110 down the drain for me. I still endorse these knobs, but don't be such a "knob" as me and don't break yours putting it on.

Setting aside my self loathing for a minute, I contemplated what to do next. I reinstalled the original knob as I decided I just like it more than the aftermarket knob I had on there previously. Heck, I have a back up original so why not. I don't see dropping yet another $110 at this point.

Sad part is, I won't be able to provide any long term review. Sorry!

Two steps forward, three steps back.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,852 Posts
A stock knob on a non daily driven garaged car will last the life of the car. Stick with the OEM knob(s) man.

How exactly did you end up breaking it? If it broke just by pushing it into the locks and slotted grove, then I’d ask for my money back. If you took a hammer to it...

Sounds like some more work needs to be done by GTOG8TA on the fitment.

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The knob is stout. The breakage in the end was my doing, a moment of stupidity I regretted the minute it happened. The fault is mine, not in any way the knob's.

I removed my original a few years back because the leather was beginning to show wear on the top right edge, I didn't want to make it any worse. At the time I figured I'd never find a good orange original replacement (I have since found one amazingly enough).

The snug fit is actually a good thing assuming you can get the knob on all the way. There is a way to do it, just not the way I did it....

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Bummer about your broken knob
I was asking about the fit because I just bought the JHP billet shifter and said knob and it seemed like the knob needed to fit further down the shaft or the shaft needed to be a bit longer so I can see how one would try to jamb the knob further on to the shaft
So it should be glued on?
It seems like the slot doesnt make it far enough into the knob to engage

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bummer about your broken knob
I was asking about the fit because I just bought the JHP billet shifter and said knob and it seemed like the knob needed to fit further down the shaft or the shaft needed to be a bit longer so I can see how one would try to jamb the knob further on to the shaft
So it should be glued on?
It seems like the slot doesnt make it far enough into the knob to engage
The slot up in the hole is actually very shallow, only about an 1/8" if that. The knob should fit down to the cone shaped lip at the bottom of the shaft. Stock sticks and Pro Billet sticks are the same in size, length and slot placement. I got the knob on all the way down to the cone shaped lip but not over it as it should be, which is where it locks onto the shaft. I was just trying to get that extra 1/4" or so to fully seat it and I got too enthusiastic and used a poor method. Breakage ensued. Totally my fault.

The info on line says the knobs should be installed with a little RTV, just as the originals were, to help hold it firmly in place. The RTV will also act as somewhat of a lubricant during the install.

I would suggest to anyone wanting to get the knob on all the way that you remove the stick from the car and press with your whole body weight on the knob against the floor or something and you should be able to get it on all the way. You just can't bring enough pressure to bear with the shifter shaft still in the car without employing a poor choice method like I did. I was just too stupidly over eager to get it on and it was too cold out (15 degrees at the time) so I got in a hurry and made bad decisions.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Thanks for the info I have to wait till next weekend for my install but Im anxious to have a stock type knob again. I have tried all different kinds of setups hopefully this will be the best and last one

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to Eric we made a plan/deal so I can try to install one of these again, this time without stupid moves on my part that break things. Now I just need to figure out how to get the stick off the shifter. It came loose multiple times so last time I used red threadlocker galore and tighted down the bolts A LOT. Hopefully I can get them loose. I really think pressing on the knob with the stick out of the car is the trick. It will fit so snug it will never twist or pull off, pretty sure about that.

More comments and pictures to come on my install 2.0 attempt.

·
HGH Optimist
9,550 Posts
Eric is the real deal. Glad y'all worked something out.

Best of luck on the next attempt!

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I managed to get the stocker back off without breaking anything so I'm part way there and ready for the replacement.

If anyone is interested in a broken knob for experimentation of any type let me know. These knobs are solid and this one is very nice except for the cracked plastic. Maybe you could glue the cracks closed and paint the plastic a color of your choice? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Somewhat related comment. I bought a Genuine GM G8 GXP knob and it was just as incredibly difficult to install as you are describing. It took quite a bit of monkeying around to get it all the way down to snap.

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So you guys are saying the bottom part of the knob has to go down over the wedge shape and kinda snap over it
Yes. Stock ones do. I eventually got my reproduction to do so too so the hole in the knob is appropriately deep enough to allow it to go on far enough to do so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts