LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Trying to install mine without damaging it, won't go all the way down.

I took a flathead screwdriver to compare the depth of my factory knob and the new one, and the factory one seems to go 4-5mm deeper around the center notch that keeps the shift pattern in place (the new one won't go any further). Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The replacement knob showed up today. I'm convinced that the only way to get it fully on the stick is to remove the stick and press it on by hand like one of the two ways pictured. With the stick still attached to the car I don't see how you can exert enough force to get it fully seated.

Attachments

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Going up to the shop in a little bit to install (more carefully this time) the new reproduction knob. Since I've already shown photos of it all installed, I'll just share one more of a little bit of detail I added to the new knob.

Attachments

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
One more tidbit. I was able to get the replacement on without incident. I can 100 percent confirm that these knobs go on a lot easier when a generous amount of RTV is applied to the stick before trying to jam the knob on the stick. It acts as a lubricant and once cured will help hold the knob on and to keep it from twisting.

I can also confirm that you can get the knob on with the stick still attached to the car. The RTV helps a lot and then if you kneel on the front seat and press down with the palm of your hand with your body weight on it, it will slide right down to full engagement. I'm only a buck seventy-five so you don't have to be a huge guy to make this work. I still think it would be best if you can get the stick off the shifter and install it outside the car it would work best though as you have more control and can bring more pressure to bear.

In my personal experience I so successfully installed the stick to the shifter on my Pro Billet I don't know if I could ever break the bolts loose again. I ruined three different bits trying to get the shifter to stick bolts loose! At least I'll never have to experience shifter stick rattle ever again....

·
Registered
142 Posts
this is the farthest I can push it, even with rtv silicone and stick removed from car.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
If that's all the farther on it will go I'd call it good enough. They fit so tight I doubt it will ever budge.
Thanks for the tip -- I pretty much stopped there and reinstalled the stick and fine-tuned the shifter knob into position figuring once the silicone dries the knob will stay put.

And yes it was a tight fit without the silicone (which as you stated, helped it glide down and should keep it in place).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Going up to the shop in a little bit to install (more carefully this time) the new reproduction knob. Since I've already shown photos of it all installed, I'll just share one more of a little bit of detail I added to the new knob.
What did you use to color it? Is it staying on after use?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts