LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it might not be possible to accurately answer this question for a few years, until a few of you guys install the Magnacharger, and things start to break. but i will pose it for you anyways.

im just curious how you think the GTOs bottom end, drive train, etc will hold up.

this is my situation, the Magnacharger looks like a very good way to add some great power. i probably wont be installing one anytime soon. (gotta get the GTO paid off first, and get to the end of my extended warranty ;).) by that time the GTO will be my weekend fun car. i will probably only take it the track a few times in its life just for some fun numbers. i only plan on doing some other bolt ons (exhaust, maybe headers, etc).

so my question is simply, how well will the GTO hold up to the extra power???
i would probably get the extended warranty. but im not sure exactly what or how that will cover.
should i plan on needing the BMR drive train upgrades??

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
I have read about many LT1 and LS1 owners who have had superchargers for lengthy periods with no major problems.

Assuming the supercharger is of good quality, it's pretty safe to say once you get all the "tweaking" done, the LS1 should be good for a lonnngggg time.

I would say the 6-speed can handle the power. A new Clutch/Flywheel will probably be necessary. I'm not sure how the automatic would take the power, but I'm sure there are reenforcements for it to come.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5point7 said:
I have read about many LT1 and LS1 owners who have had superchargers for lengthy periods with no major problems.

Assuming the supercharger is of good quality, it's pretty safe to say once you get all the "tweaking" done, the LS1 should be good for a lonnngggg time.

I would say the 6-speed can handle the power. A new Clutch/Flywheel will probably be necessary. I'm not sure how the automatic would take the power, but I'm sure there are reenforcements for it to come.
oh right, throw a Spec Stage 3 onto the list. forgot about that.

·
Sonoma Co. Goat Herd
358 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
it might not be possible to accurately answer this question for a few years, until a few of you guys install the Magnacharger, and things start to break. but i will pose it for you anyways.

im just curious how you think the GTOs bottom end, drive train, etc will hold up.

this is my situation, the Magnacharger looks like a very good way to add some great power. i probably wont be installing one anytime soon. (gotta get the GTO paid off first, and get to the end of my extended warranty ;).) by that time the GTO will be my weekend fun car. i will probably only take it the track a few times in its life just for some fun numbers. i only plan on doing some other bolt ons (exhaust, maybe headers, etc).

so my question is simply, how well will the GTO hold up to the extra power???
i would probably get the extended warranty. but im not sure exactly what or how that will cover.
should i plan on needing the BMR drive train upgrades??
Talked to a magnacharger engineer at a car show on saturday and ask him the same question and his responce was 150k average, and won't void pontiacs warranty and the handheld up loader that comes with the kit you can send it back to them to get new tune in the future. Ask what was the cost for them to install it and it is around 900.00 which they put it on a dyno.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1newgoat said:
Talked to a magnacharger engineer at a car show on saturday and ask him the same question and his responce was 150k average, and won't void pontiacs warranty and the handheld up loader that comes with the kit you can send it back to them to get new tune in the future. Ask what was the cost for them to install it and it is around 900.00 which they put it on a dyno.
wont void pontiacs warranty??? i mean, i know about the magnusson moss act, but i find it hard to believe that an SM isn't gonna laugh when i bring my SC GTO for warranty work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just started a similar thread on an Aussie website. I thiink the bottom end are very strong. I think the Magnacharger has slightly lower hp than the whipple so should be even better for the bottom end. Read as follows:

Most of you know I have Starr's PD whipple blower kit. Running around 11lb boost, water injection and intercooler, higgins heads and baby cam, ALL stock bottom end = 500+rwhp.

This is a daily driver and I have just ticked over 35,000km since the kit was fitted on a stock bottom end 14 months or so ago and over 90,000km in total. How good are these LS1s. Yes I give it a caning sometimes, especially the auto, which is soon to come out for the third time. In maintenance costs, besides the auto, all it has cost me to date* is 2 broken blower belts. And had car dealer serviced until it ran out of warranty a few months ago.

For everyone who's holding back on modding their LS1, worrying about reliability etc how much more proof do you need. Time for a S/C, T, TT, H&C, PD, do it now and enjoy.

Hope others have had similar experience.

*Touch wood I haven't jinxed myself by starting this thread."

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Where do they do the water injection. It's a tricky thing on a roots or twin screw. No alky, just H2O?

·
Sonoma Co. Goat Herd
358 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
wont void pontiacs warranty??? i mean, i know about the magnusson moss act, but i find it hard to believe that an SM isn't gonna laugh when i bring my SC GTO for warranty work.
I asked my dealer last week when I brought my car in for warranty work and they said no problem as long as they do the install. You might want to ask your dealer and see what there take is on doing the install.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
1newgoat said:
I asked my dealer last week when I brought my car in for warranty work and they said no problem as long as they do the install. You might want to ask your dealer and see what there take is on doing the install.
"as long as they do the install"?

They who, Magnuson Products? Or they the dealer? I don't think I'd trust a GM dealer to do that installation.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Reliability will be just the same as stock providing you have it tuned accordingly. You are not 'hitting' the journals on the connecting rods and the tops of pistons with sudden bursts like with nitrous. All you're doing is essentially stuffing more air and fuel into the combustion chamber. If you provide the right amount of fuel to match that air, the combustion will occur just the same as if you were stock just with more rotational force. IF you don't provide enough or too much, you start running into problems.

Will you get 150,000 miles out of it like stock, who knows! But it'll last you for your needs would be my guess.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Reliability will be just the same as stock providing you have it tuned accordingly. You are not 'hitting' the journals on the connecting rods and the tops of pistons with sudden bursts like with nitrous. All you're doing is essentially stuffing more air and fuel into the combustion chamber. If you provide the right amount of fuel to match that air, the combustion will occur just the same as if you were stock just with more rotational force. IF you don't provide enough or too much, you start running into problems.

Will you get 150,000 miles out of it like stock, who knows! But it'll last you for your needs would be my guess.
And when it breaks, you rebuild it with forged goodness and lower compression parts and crank up the boost and run it for another 150k right? :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yup.

The glass is always half full!!! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts