LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sitting at the light minding my own business when some kid in a Grand Prix GTP pulls up next to me. He revs on me and I hear a nice blower sound. Sounded sweet. But heck, I rev back with a nice deep growl :) Light turns green and I nailed it, heck if I didnt have 20/20 vision :eek2: I would have questioned it, but the darn thing started pulling away from me. I ran to 110 mph and he was about three cars ahead of me. I caught another light on him up ahead and asked him what he had done to it, he rattled off ported manis, downpipe, slp exhaust(me too), chip, and pulley. Pretty sure that was about it, said he spent less than a grand modding it. Needless to say I am impressed, and have an even more favorable opinion of those cars. Some nice sleepers out there!

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Needless to say I am impressed, and have an even more favorable opinion of those cars. Some nice sleepers out there!
Indeed. I ran against one in El Paso. I got him, but just by about 2 car lengths. That means this particular GTP would be running mid-12's in the 1/4. Very nice.

Just so happens that this was the race I caught on video. (6mb WMV file) :)

Padre

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Bull Sh!t

so if i am understanding you correctly, you have ported manifolds, downpipe, SLP exhaust? right?
if a WS6 runs what stock? a 13.5?
so you should be running low 13s??? right? somewhere close to that?

he is saying that he has spent less then a grand modding a GTP and he is running low 13s.
i have two words for that: BULL SH!T, PURE BULL SH!T
here is a quick break down off the top of my head
pulley: ~$80+$60for install or $100 for pulley puller
SLP exhaust: ~$600+install
chip:~$300
Ported manifolds: (couple hundred bucks)
Down pipe: (another couple hundred bucks)
=A HECK OF ALOT MORE THEN $1000

he was blowing smoke up your butt hole BIG TIME. i guess it doesn't surprise me, some guys dont like to talk unless there is money on the line.
but rest assured that he was LYING THROUGH HIS TEETH.

ok, i guess the ONLY way that this story might hold water is if he did all the work on his car himself and got a hookup with parts. but the parts he mentioned would only put him at low 14s. which means that your WS6 was running really slow, which i also find hard to believe.

so i guess the choice are: you were running slow, or he is lying through his teeth. im gonna go with the latter of the two.

i know that there are MANY other X-GTPers on the forum. i would like to hear their take on the situation.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did some research on a GTP site. Seems like they get their chips for $200, ported manifolds for $250ish, Downpipe for $100,intake can be made for $15 plus $40 for the K&N, pulleys are about $65 and seem to be easy to install, SLP exhaust for $550 i think. That would put him in under $1200. Now if he bought anything used it could probably be done for under a grand? Also I cant remember what size pulley he was using. Seems it may have been a 3.2. He was rattling this all of to me at a light. So their may have been a mod I am missing. Maybe a cam or something. Either way it was fast! My car was running solid. I know her like the back of my hand.

One other thing, my car is STOCK. I referenced the SLP exhaust because that is what is on my car STOCK. So I would guess he was running 13 flat probably. I conservatively will run 13.5. I didnt have my best launch, however I try not to cause a scene by screaming my tires and such. I cant afford the attention. Police and such :)

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
My wife drives and 04 GTP so naturally I drive it a lot as well. This thing is fast,
I think it runs high 14's in the 1/4. It's rated at 260hp which is nice, but low 13's
with just those mods seems like, well, WOW. That would be an equivilant of at least
150hp gain according to 1/4 times. That seems a little much. I know these things
can be made to go fast, but I think you'll need to do a little more than that.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From reading on their site, many of them run mid 14's stock. Some a little quicker, some a little slower. I am not sure how well they take to mods either. Seems they take much better than our cars do. Our cars referring to LS1's

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dude one more time... :bs:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
My wife drives and 04 GTP so naturally I drive it a lot as well. This thing is fast,
I think it runs high 14's in the 1/4. It's rated at 260hp which is nice, but low 13's
with just those mods seems like, well, WOW. That would be an equivilant of at least
150hp gain according to 1/4 times. That seems a little much. I know these things
can be made to go fast, but I think you'll need to do a little more than that.
Well the L32 seems to respond even better than the L67 to rockers/headers/3.25 pulley combination. I have done these mods and have the power to hit 12s, it is my launching ability that is holding me back. As soon as I can cut a sub 2.0 60ft I should have 12s. So don't underestimate the L32! :)

It could be done for less than you think:
1.9 Gen1 Rockers = 300
ported manifolds = 250
3.25 pulley = 60
Intake = 60
larger exhaust pipes = 150
pcm = 170
Total < 1000 :)

I really like the new GTO and wish they were available back when I got this car, oh well maybe in a couple years...

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
I just did some research on a GTP site. Seems like they get their chips for $200, ported manifolds for $250ish, Downpipe for $100,intake can be made for $15 plus $40 for the K&N, pulleys are about $65 and seem to be easy to install, SLP exhaust for $550 i think. That would put him in under $1200. Now if he bought anything used it could probably be done for under a grand? Also I cant remember what size pulley he was using. Seems it may have been a 3.2. He was rattling this all of to me at a light. So their may have been a mod I am missing. Maybe a cam or something. Either way it was fast! My car was running solid. I know her like the back of my hand.

One other thing, my car is STOCK. I referenced the SLP exhaust because that is what is on my car STOCK. So I would guess he was running 13 flat probably. I conservatively will run 13.5. I didnt have my best launch, however I try not to cause a scene by screaming my tires and such. I cant afford the attention. Police and such :)
ok, from your explanation its starting to a make a little more sense. i would agree that it sounds like he is running low 13s. but for less than $1000? that is pushing it. but again, even the mods he listed would only put him at a low 14 at best.
he wasn't telling you whole truth. maybe with all those mods and DRs and 100 shot of NOS he might run a low 13. maybe

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
GTP_SLEEPER said:
Well the L32 seems to respond even better than the L67 to rockers/headers/3.25 pulley combination. I have done these mods and have the power to hit 12s, it is my launching ability that is holding me back. As soon as I can cut a sub 2.0 60ft I should have 12s. So don't underestimate the L32! :)

It could be done for less than you think:
1.9 Gen1 Rockers = 300
ported manifolds = 250
3.25 pulley = 60
Intake = 60
larger exhaust pipes = 150
pcm = 170
Total < 1000 :)

I really like the new GTO and wish they were available back when I got thWis car, oh well maybe in a couple years...
I went to your web site and checked your car out. That is exactly like
my wife's. Black GTP Comp G. I didn't realize I could get so much for so little.
Hmmm? Oh honey, can we talk? LOLOLOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
I went to your web site and checked your car out. That is exactly like
my wife's. Black GTP Comp G. I didn't realize I could get so much for so little.
Hmmm? Oh honey, can we talk? LOLOLOL

My suggestion is to mod the crap out of it and see if she notices. :secret: :cool:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GTP_SLEEPER said:
He could very likely have low 13s for about $1000. A GTP with those mods should run anywhere from high 12s to mid 13s.
ok, well then maybe your experiences w/ GTP is much different then mine. but in my experience, the mods he listed will not get you close to low 13s

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I remember back in 97 drove moms GTP, just got my license. It seamed like a big deal I could get the car up to 100mph, seamed like it took forever to go 70-100. In the goat I can go 100mph with minmal effort.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, I am not sure if he was still pulling on me at 110mph. He was in front of me though. It happened so quick and I must admit I was in some shock that I could have been slowly catching back up to him. Its not like I was on the strip and could focus only on the end and car in front of me. I had to pay attention to the street too. Anyways I have seen the car before. Its not hard to miss. Two tone black with yellow stripe and ram air hood. I will track him down and talk with him in more detail. Also I will get a visual on his engine :)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Blitzu said:
With quadruple those mods listed I ran a best of 12.8 with my Grand Prix... and that is still almost in the top 50 in the nation. In the ILGPC there are many modified members... and through lots of experience with the Grand Prixs I can tell you thos mods will not net low 13 times
thank you so very much Blitzu. its good to know that im not crazy.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Remember weight reduction is a huge mod, and not mentioned often...
Dan

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Remember weight reduction is a huge mod, and not mentioned often...
Dan
true. but still, bye Blitzu's and my best estimates the fastest that GTP could be running with just the mods he mentioned was a mid 13 (on a very good day).
so if you follow the rule of thumb (100 lbs=.1 off 1/4 et) that means he would have to do lose approximately 500 lbs to drop his et to low 13s. not to say that this is impossible, but it is difficult. for comparisons sake, the RMR drifter GTO is 800lbs lighter than stock. i stand by my original statement. he was blowing smoke up your butthole.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts