LS1GTO.com Forums banner

481 - 500 of 528 Posts

·
a dysgenic effect participant
385 Posts
I am unsure why taxpayers are forced into paying for either one.
Welfare and entitlements have been so thoroughly ground into our culture that getting rid of them seems ludicrous. I have several coworkers who are retired non-combat military and 100% disabled and still participate in adult sports leagues. 100% gets them a check, no property tax, discounted utilities and car registration, and who knows how much other stuff. It is an area of contention between the younger combat vets and the retirees who play the system. For me 100% is "can't work" not 4 hours of overtime and the hit the basketball court every day then twice a year walk into the the VA with a cane and a limp.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,677 Posts
I am unsure why taxpayers are forced into paying for either one.
Welfare and entitlements have been so thoroughly ground into our culture that getting rid of them seems ludicrous. I have several coworkers who are retired non-combat military and 100% disabled and still participate in adult sports leagues. 100% gets them a check, no property tax, discounted utilities and car registration, and who knows how much other stuff. It is an area of contention between the younger combat vets and the retirees who play the system. For me 100% is "can't work" not 4 hours of overtime and the hit the basketball court every day then twice a year walk into the the VA with a cane and a limp.
indeed to both.

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
You've just described Middletown, Hamilton, Springfield, and much of Dayton (Ohio), as well as a large number of my hillbilly-in-laws. Not shocking, but want a mind-smurf for a Monday morning? These smurfing losers are nearly all pro-Trump.

Huzzah and all that, but when "conservatives" are talking about the wagon-train of freebies, you mouth-breathers are in the cross-hairs too.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,677 Posts
but and uhm then but

yeah

I mean I know 2 people on full disability one guy doesn't work supposedly can't stand for more than a few hours at a time yet I see him polishing his car - walking his dogs - etc. Nice enough guy - but I always wonder - has a POW-MIA banner in his garage, etc etc.

but the other I know is in a wheel chair - took cable shrapnel from a carrier cable that came apart during desert storm in the early 90's. He does work in my office - fantastic person to know and someone I consider a close friend. And yet he's here most every day working a desk job.

I don't' know if he gets full or partial and I don't care I hope he gets all he can get from the system. but then there are people like the first guy that I just wonder WTF.

complete aside - I'm already tired of hearing the shit over the various elections.

·
2010 Camaro SS Owner
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
So who will it be?

My guess is Hardiman. It should be Amy Coney Barrett but her strong- and voiced- religious beliefs set up too contentious of a confirmation battle and she might not get through the two female R Senators.

·
Porch Dick
20,259 Posts
You've just described Middletown, Hamilton, Springfield, and much of Dayton (Ohio), as well as a large number of my hillbilly-in-laws. Not shocking, but want a mind-smurf for a Monday morning? These smurfing losers are nearly all pro-Trump.

Huzzah and all that, but when "conservatives" are talking about the wagon-train of freebies, you mouth-breathers are in the cross-hairs too.
Real reform will require a lot of folks to vote against their interests. I'd prefer it happen willingly as doing so would indicate some growth in maturity and sense of responsibility. Since that won't happen, I'll settle for doing so unwillingly out of ignorance.

·
Registered Offender
33,864 Posts
i cant comment on the entitlement and welfare mentality.......i dont need to cause myself to have a fucking heart attack

·
Registered Offender
33,864 Posts
kinda surprised he didnt pick the chick myself

·
2010 Camaro SS Owner
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
Maybe a little under-qualified, but seems fine to me. Then again, I didn't have a problem with Obama's dude either. So... :dunno:
Define under qualified? 12 years on the DC Appeals Circuit doesn’t count?

·
Registered Offender
33,864 Posts
i have no problem with the guy but i figured he would go with the chick but i did see where they said because shes supposedly very religious (catholic) the left was going to give her shit over it

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
Define under qualified? 12 years on the DC Appeals Circuit doesn’t count?
Sure it counts, but it's only 12-years.

12-Years into your career, were you worthy of being considered one of the nine best in the Country? Probably not... no offense. And please don't give me the "This guy is the best thing since sliced avocados, bro!" comeback. He may be the bee's knees, but if so, his tenure/experience doesn't suggest it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sure it counts, but it's only 12-years.

12-Years into your career, were you worthy of being considered one of the nine best in the Country? Probably not... no offense. And please don't give me the "This guy is the best thing since sliced avocados, bro!" comeback. He may be the bee's knees, but if so, his tenure/experience doesn't suggest it.
A quick Wiki scan says that 12 years on the D.C. Court puts his experience on par with most of the other justices at the time of their nomination.

RBG had 13 on the same court.
Scalia had 4 on the same court.
Thomas had 19 months on the same court.
Gorsuch had 11 at the 10th Circuit.
Kennedy had 13 on the 9th Circuit.
Breyer had 14 years on the 4th Circuit.
Alito had 16 years on the 3rd Circuit.
Sotomayor had 11 on the 2nd Circuit.
Kagan was never a judge and didn't do much outside of academia besides trying to ban military recruiters from the Harvard campus.

·
Born in a class 5 hurricane
11,430 Posts
Plenty of experience on the appeals court, though no judicial experience prior to that. I don't know how common that is with appeals court judges. He appears to have been a bit. of Republican party hack before. He's the one who dug up all the salacious Lewinsky details as a part of Ken Starr's team.

Still he seems a bit of a softball choice given the current political climate, probably to appease a few swing votes. I wonder if they'll bring McCain back from Arizona to vote. However the Democrats are screaming like it's the end of the world, despite "elections matter"

·
Tu stultus es
27,106 Posts
His opinion that a sitting president can't be indicted and a special counsel can be fired at the President's discretion, which is pretty hypocritical considering he was part of Starr's team, doesn't make him a softball choice. It makes him Trump's attempt to protect himself and extend the power of the nation's Executive office. People gave Obama the moniker of 'King' but this guy is trying to make it a fact with all his judicial appointments.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That’s not his opinion. He posited that Congress should enact a statute that allows for a deferral of civil and criminal investigations for a sitting president. Barring action by Congress, he agrees with the SCOTUS decision that presidents aren’t entitled to a deferral. He also says that Congress still has the option to impeach the President so that it doesn’t place the President above the law.

http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kavanaugh_MLR.pdf

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The ironic thing is that in the same law review article the left is using to label Judge Kavanaugh a "right-wing ideologue," he calls for the Senate to create a rule that mandates they take action on all of a president's judicial nominations within 180 days.

481 - 500 of 528 Posts