LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking lately of fabricating H-pipe assemblies to replace the factory resonator. Seems as though a lot of owners here would prefer to not have the exotic sound of an x-pipe and it would be pretty slick if there was a bolt in H-pipe available. I was thinking of a design that used the Band style clamps utilized on catbacks to connect the H-pipe to the stock system. If there is insufficient space for clamps on the flange side then the H-pipe would be fabricated with flanges allready installed. Maybe Im wrong but it would be kind off cool to be able to remove the resonator and install an H-pipe using only a sawzall and a socket set.......

Worth looking into, or a waste of time?

StolenFox

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price should be very easy on the wallet provided I can build it without using flanges. If flanges are required the price would be dependant on how much it would cost me to have them cut by a cnc plasma. I can cut them freehand with a plasma using templates but only if the finished product is acceptable and consistant. Using a single flange for both pipes might be a possibility as well.

The most cost effective and readily available pipe would be aluminized, though stainless might be a option.

StolenFox

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been talking about this for months (check my post history). I am definitely in. Band clamps style would be great. Aluminum is ok too. I'll just hit it with some black high temp paint. For an 05 it should be 15" long and the tubes should be 4" on center with an H connection somewhere about mid-way.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 Bad Black Goat said:
I've been talking about this for months (check my post history). I am definitely in. Band clamps style would be great. Aluminum is ok too. I'll just hit it with some black high temp paint. For an 05 it should be 15" long and the tubes should be 4" on center with an H connection somewhere about mid-way.

Good to know I am not the only one who thinks this is a good idea!! Although I allready have the magnaflow x-pipe, DOH!!! The X-pipe sounds nice but its character doesnt match the engine if that makes any sense. On my mustangs X-pipes sounded nice because the modular fords like to rev, but the GTO with a big 6.0L that doesnt like to rev as readily probably sounds better as old school muscle.

Ideally i'd like to get a stock resonator back section to make a jig so the product is identical time after time.

StolenFox

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ideally i'd like to get a stock resonator back section to make a jig so the product is identical time after time.
you can make mine slightly irregular and when I get it clamped on, I'll trade you for my stock resonator ;)

It is exactly 4" on center though and the resonator itself is right at 11" long and there is roughly 2.5" between the front flange and the resonator. 15" length would leave some wiggle room and could be shorted the the excat length with a saw.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would prefer with flanges...but regardless, I too would be interested in such a mighty device :D

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brazen6.0 said:
I would prefer with flanges...but regardless, I too would be interested in such a mighty device :D
After further review and in light of 1 Bad Black Goat's provided measurements I have decided that the H-pipe must have the flanges allready attached. 2.5" between the flange and where the stock resonator would be cut is not sufficent space for a band clamp. Furthermore if there were to be any welding spatter on the stock pipe near the flange then the band clamp would not seal. I am leaning towards a single flange at this point.

StolenFox

·
Slow Guy, Fast Car
1,067 Posts
I'd be interested.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Could you duplicate a Corsa X pipe, and make an H pipe from it? This is a pic of my car with the Corsa cat back.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black Devil said:
Could you duplicate a Corsa X pipe, and make an H pipe from it? This is a pic of my car with the Corsa cat back.

I think with the corsa, you would have to have the h-pipe welded in. The corsa pipe after the x section begins to widen (center to center meaasurement) so the band clamps would not work. Muffler shop help would be required.

StolenFox

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I can do it myself. Work in a shop that has welders, and pipe bending machines) I just do not really have the time, and want it in stainless. I will see what I can get for material. Already have the clamps, and stainless flanges.

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
sounds like a great Idea I love my Hpipe but it was some work for my buddy to fab it up. Its all in the cost.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
id want 1 that bolts to the front pipes and up to the mufflers

not sure if i want a X or a H , would prefer stainless

i hate the kink at the diff , and id like to make the stock system sound a little better

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
s/c'd cav said:
id want 1 that bolts to the front pipes and up to the mufflers

not sure if i want a X or a H , would prefer stainless

i hate the kink at the diff , and id like to make the stock system sound a little better
I am doing having a local shop do a H-pipe and fix that same kink for me out of stainless on Friday. They installed my bullets and did an awesome job, so I am going back to finish the system up. I will let you know how it goes.

StolenFox - sounds like a good idea, I can see the appeal of having something that bolts in and would be interchangeable. I had them keep the flange on my muffler swap for that very same reason since I knew the bullets would be loud as hell and it really is.

<<< edit - woo hoo, lucky sevens

·
Registered
131 Posts
H-Pipe

I used Summit's H-Pipe. $29 for H and also need 2.5" adapter to get them long enough to replace the res. Not that difficult.

·
this ->pimpstatus(10);
1,113 Posts
Hells yea I'd be interested. I've been wanting an H pipe for a while, but unwilling to give an exhaust shop 65 bucks for such a little thing.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
dmince said:
I used Summit's H-Pipe. $29 for H and also need 2.5" adapter to get them long enough to replace the res. Not that difficult.
The summit pipe is an excellent piece and was the inspiration for this idea. I want to design a product that someone who does not have access to a welder or welding skills could install on their car using a socket set and a hacksaw, sawsall or auto parts store exhaust pipe cutter.

To clarify: This would not be a complete replacement section from the flanges at the mid-pipe to the flanges at the mufflers, rather this would be a replacement for the resonator on 05-06 models. Basically a h-pipe with flanges on one side to mate with the mid-pipes and flared ends to slip over the stock rear section piping for use with band clamps. Overall length should be around 14-16 inches.

If I can get 10 people who say they are interested then I will make a prototype and figure out a price. Those that have expressed interest so far are:

odingrey
tiretread
Brazen6.0
1 Bad Black Goat
tboicelli
GTO04
ROade
06PBM

Thanks to all for your input!

StolenFox

·
Registered
414 Posts
how hard would it be to make it from mid flange to muffler flanges (do we even have those? -sorry haven't had the time admire the undercarige yet :p)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brazen6.0 said:
how hard would it be to make it from mid flange to muffler flanges (do we even have those? -sorry haven't had the time admire the undercarige yet :p)

At that point youve built 90% of a catback exhaust which is way out of my league. Though I have all the pipe, plate, plasma cutters, mig welders and welding skill for the h-pipe section construction the $250,000 cost of a cnc mandrel pipe bender needed for full catback contruction is not in the budget!!

StolenFox

1 - 20 of 51 Posts