LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to the g/f's house last night, downshifted from 3rd to 2nd, thunk, and voila!! car will not move :mad: WTF?? Then I remembered reading here that a few of you guys had the half shaft bolts fall out. Finally push the car somewhere out of the way and look, drivers side half shaft is hanging out of the differential :banghead: . Call Pontiac and they had a flatbed there in about an hour.
Just a piece of advice to you guys, KEEP YOUR EYE ON THIS.

·
Registered
600 Posts
www.nhtsa.dot.gov is the web site for the National Trafic Safety Administration. Search around for the consumer complaint section. File a report on this issue. It is now four or five cars that this has happened to. You others that have this happen should also file a report. The bolts are one time use. If removed they must be replaced. So if th eshaft has been out, it may not be Pontiac's fault. Also call Pontiac Customer Assistance and make sure a case is openned with the info. They need to have documented proof this is happening, more then just warranty claims for the new bolts.

Here is the link to file a complaint: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

There are currently only three issues with the 2004 GTO, reflection from console trim onto windshield, a fueling issue, and a power issue. No one has posted about th ehalf-shaft falling out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just submitted my complaint. I may have been the first person with this problem. I was severely harrassed by two dealerships when mine failed. I am going back to both to to see their reaction when I tell them it IS a problem. I wonder if maybe they are disconecting the axles (for some reason) for the boat trip?

Reason why I ask, is because we have a drag car where I work and it has a Lenco transmission, we took it to a race and inadvertanetly left it in gear when we towed it 2000 miles. It ended up beating up a sprag in the transmission because of the "rocking".

I wonder if the rocking that the GTO's would experience on the way over could hurt the driveline and therefore they disconnect the axle(s)???

Dave

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
hellhammer said:
I just submitted my complaint. I may have been the first person with this problem. I was severely harrassed by two dealerships when mine failed. I am going back to both to to see their reaction when I tell them it IS a problem. I wonder if maybe they are disconecting the axles (for some reason) for the boat trip?

Reason why I ask, is because we have a drag car where I work and it has a Lenco transmission, we took it to a race and inadvertanetly left it in gear when we towed it 2000 miles. It ended up beating up a sprag in the transmission because of the "rocking".

I wonder if the rocking that the GTO's would experience on the way over could hurt the driveline and therefore they disconnect the axle(s)???

Dave
I don't know, since the concensus is that these are one use bolts, wouldn't that mean this problem would be massively seen, versus only the three we've seen? Not saying I know... just guessing unlikely ???

·
Registered
244 Posts
The diff is assembled "off line" and it would be expected that missing bolts would be noticed when assembling.

cars for shipping have "tie down" hooks fore and aft so I would expect that that would stop movement. That said, I always leave my A4 in neutral with the hand brake firmly applied - I was told the "park" lock pin can be severed in a rear end shunt.

Mike

·
Registered
370 Posts
The case hasn't been missing bolts, but for some reason all six fall out at the same time. I found all of mine together on the side of the road and I think some of the other people found all of theirs also.

Even though the cars are tied down they still rock, due to suspension and tires.

Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
hellhammer said:
The case hasn't been missing bolts, but for some reason all six fall out at the same time. I found all of mine together on the side of the road and I think some of the other people found all of theirs also.

Even though the cars are tied down they still rock, due to suspension and tires.

Dave
This happened to me on the 9th of aug.. I found all 6 bolts in the road behind the car. Still don't have my car back. :banghead:

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dave, excellent format on the registry. Most detailed complaint I have ever seen posted on the web. WIll prove helpful if others will follow your lead. You may want to edit your post to ask disscussions to take place in this thread, and only use the registry thread for the details. Also everyone should open a Pontiac customer assistance case to provide quicker feedback to Pontiac.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Miss-our-GTO said:
Dave, excellent format on the registry. Most detailed complaint I have ever seen posted on the web. WIll prove helpful if others will follow your lead. You may want to edit your post to ask disscussions to take place in this thread, and only use the registry thread for the details. Also everyone should open a Pontiac customer assistance case to provide quicker feedback to Pontiac.
Good ideas, thanks

Dave

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sorry about that, moved this from the other thread.

Yeah I noticed all that too. All 3 built Jan-Feb. Close in the VINS, All M6's, and kinda close in miles too. Hmmmm

·
Registered
600 Posts
OK, when I suggested reporting the issue to the NHTSA, I wasn't suggesting every little issue. The NHTSA should be concernned with important safety related failures. They shouldn't have to deal with "the dealer screwed up my rearview mirror" (paraphrased) issues.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
There are currently only three issues with the 2004 GTO, reflection from console trim onto windshield, a fueling issue, and a power issue
I assume the fueling issue is when the tank won't fill up all the way, but do you know any more details on the power issue???

·
Registered
600 Posts
BowdawG said:
I assume the fueling issue is when the tank won't fill up all the way, but do you know any more details on the power issue???
I only took a quick look for axle bolts complaints. Think the "power" complaint started with something about turning key--bells--lights---then I stopped reading.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I noticed we now have one that's a Nov build. This is starting to get scary. I'm worried that if I mod my car and the bolts come out the dealer won't cover that. The only good thing is it seems to have happened under 5000 miles and my car is up to almost 10,000 w/o incident.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Hmm, the thing I noticed about all of the posted problems is it was the Driver's side Inboard joint... Almost leads you to believe they had the torque wrong on that wrench on the assembly line or something (a case of "The Monday's"?). I don't know why they would claim it was exhaust related- from what I've seen every exhaust goes under the suspension- there just isn't room to snake it over!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got off phone with the service manager. Said parts were on back order! Who knows when I'll get my car back. He also said he had no idea how they all mysteriously backed out. Main thing, he did not give me a hard time and sounded very cooperative.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Problem with registry

There's a problem with the registry - there's no field for "mods done to the car" that I can see. I remember seeing in one of the original threads about this that someone had to have the bolts undone to have an aftermarket exhaust fitted. I don't remember the why or the how of it, I just remember that. So I think you guys should all go back and add a "mods" field to your posts in the registry. If they are one time use, as has been noted, and they are being removed to fit exhausts, then we know what's up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
370 Posts
phobos512 said:
There's a problem with the registry - there's no field for "mods done to the car" that I can see. I remember seeing in one of the original threads about this that someone had to have the bolts undone to have an aftermarket exhaust fitted. I don't remember the why or the how of it, I just remember that. So I think you guys should all go back and add a "mods" field to your posts in the registry. If they are one time use, as has been noted, and they are being removed to fit exhausts, then we know what's up. Just a thought.
I was the one with the exhaust issue. But the bolts were not removed, they will never need to be removed to do and exhaust and an exhaust shop would not normally remove something like that. I created the registry and listing mods would just clutter the problem. The problem isn't an exhaust pipe or golf clubs in the trunk. There is some sort of problem with the assembly.

Dave

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Any of our Aussie friends having this problem? Might want to ask over at the aussie ls1 site ???

1 - 20 of 58 Posts