LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a fairly simple mod for the tail lights using these halo rings

This took the 110mm size. The process is not too bad. You just cut out the back of the tail/brake light housing and adhere them inside. Then use a RTV adhesive to reseal the back.

Wiring is

GTO brown - running light - halo white
GTO blue - blinker - halo yellow
GTO blue w/ red stripe - brake - halo red
GTO black - ground - halo black

When operating normally they are 50%, then for braking they go 100%, and then on a blinker they blink between 50% and 100%

It is hard to get pics right and they do look better in person. I did them because I like the way the new FordGT tails look.

·
It's only cosmetic...
558 Posts
I like the look, but I would keep the factory turn signal. I would wire the center to be the brake light instead.

·
HGH Optimist
10,189 Posts
How hot do those get? I know we can't use certain LED bulbs because they'll melt the tail light housing. They look pretty cool, though. Nice work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To each, their own. I understand that as is true with all cosmetic upgrades.

They barely get warm. The LED driver get's a little warm but it is inside the trunk.

I only didn't like the factory turn signal because of how they make the DEPO lights look yellow. And chrome bulbs don't illuminate quite right. I thought about keeping the brake light bulb in there as brake only. I might experiment on this at a later date but these definitely send the message that the car is braking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I actually ruined a set due to testing. I was trying to remove the entire front lens like you would normally do to modify the insides but DEPO used a silicon adhesive to seal them and not butyl tape like I was used too. I found this out because they would not separate after the "oven trick". I knew the set was already ruined so I kept increasing the temp in 25 degree increments.

The clear lens did not start to melt/bend until about 275-300F. They were the first plastic part to melt. What LEDs do people run that get close to those temps? I thought only HIDs could ever get that hot.

Also FYI the stock tails do use butyl tape and can be separated using the oven trick.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've been wanting to do something like this for years. Use the ring for the running light and keep the center LED for brake. Nice concept with the turn signal although I would keep the factory location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone needs help, just ask. It is pretty straightforward.
Anyway you can do a write up with pics on the whole process? Like splitting the DEPO lights and modifying to make the halos and stuff fit then sealing them back up? Thanks!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was not able to split them. I tried and broke a pair, unfortunately. This is because DEPO used a silicon adhesive instead of the butyl tape. So you cannot use the oven trick on the DEPO lights. OEM lights DO use butyl.

I can take a picture of where on the back of the DEPO lights I made my cut. After the back is cut out you just secure the halo in there with a little epoxy and then glue the back of it back on with some clear silicon. Once installed, you cannot see the cut line at all since it is behind the red reflector.

For clarity, the halo is mounted behind the red reflector, not in front.

If I supply a pic of the cut I made, is that enough to help you out?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a walk-around shot. The reason they look somewhat blurry in nature is that I put on some Lamin-x tint film on the tail light.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts