LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here is how I did them

1. Mark the back of the reflector with "driver" or "passenger" and an up arrow. You do this so once they are cut off you can get the orientation correct.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

2. Cut here at this radius. It is best to "error" your cut on the flat portion, not toward the curved portion. Flat portion is defined as the left side of the sharpie, curved being on the right.
Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Automotive design Bicycle part

3. Cut with a thin cutting tool
Sports equipment Automotive tire Skateboard truck Asphalt Skateboarding Equipment

4. Cut as far as you can around. You will be stopped because of the rest of the housing interfering. Insert a hacksaw blade and work through to the uncut remaining portion. This part is a little painstaking. You have to carefully cut it by hand with the blade because there is o way to access this side with a power tool. Take your time.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle Headlamp

5. Full cut shown. Now make sure you blow all the dust out of the tail light because you don't want to seal it in. An air compressor would work great but I just used the discharge side on a shop vac. Don't wipe the lense with any rag at all. They mar very easily.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Light Plant

6. Now I forgot to take incremental pics here but this one pic shows it all. Insert the halo and wedge fit it in there. It is a really snug fit. I used clear 5-minute epoxy to help hold it in. It is only epoxied at the very top and very bottom. The sides are "floating" in space. I put the power wire facing the bottom of the tail light. You will also need to cut a small notch in the reflector for the wire to pass through. Let the epoxy set. Once satisfied, go ahead and go around with a good quality silicon and pop the back back on. Make sure to let that solidify for 24 hours.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fluid Automotive design

·
|G|et |T|urned |O|n
1,632 Posts
Nice write up for this. Any pics of closing/sealing things back up and your own finished daylight nighttime images/vids?

No adverse impact to cruise control, trac control or other systems?

The end product of this mod actually looks quite sharp and helps subtly modernize the GTO back end / tails. Would never do this to OEM tails but certainly on a spare set of DEPOT or equivalents.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Nice write up for this. Any pics of closing/sealing things back up and your own finished daylight nighttime images/vids?

No adverse impact to cruise control, trac control or other systems?

The end product of this mod actually looks quite sharp and helps subtly modernize the GTO back end / tails. Would never do this to OEM tails but certainly on a spare set of DEPOT or equivalents.
Those are his own videos and pictures on pg 1...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That last photo of the modification shows the silicon on the lip. All I do after that is just slap the back reflector back on. I can take some closeups of this one I just did from all angles while not yet installed on the car. Maybe that is what you are wanting to see.

Non, no ill effects to any other electronics. The only tricky part was I had to splice in a resistor for the blinker because LED blinkers don't draw enough current. It's just replacing the running light, brake light, and blinker with LED. That should never impact other electrical circuits.

·
|G|et |T|urned |O|n
1,632 Posts
My bad … forgot/missed that you were the OP. Again great idea, and write up, and thx for added info on wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is how I did them

1. Mark the back of the reflector with "driver" or "passenger" and an up arrow. You do this so once they are cut off you can get the orientation correct.
View attachment 511187

2. Cut here at this radius. It is best to "error" your cut on the flat portion, not toward the curved portion. Flat portion is defined as the left side of the sharpie, curved being on the right.
View attachment 511188

3. Cut with a thin cutting tool
View attachment 511189

4. Cut as far as you can around. You will be stopped because of the rest of the housing interfering. Insert a hacksaw blade and work through to the uncut remaining portion. This part is a little painstaking. You have to carefully cut it by hand with the blade because there is o way to access this side with a power tool. Take your time.
View attachment 511190

5. Full cut shown. Now make sure you blow all the dust out of the tail light because you don't want to seal it in. An air compressor would work great but I just used the discharge side on a shop vac. Don't wipe the lense with any rag at all. They mar very easily.
View attachment 511191

6. Now I forgot to take incremental pics here but this one pic shows it all. Insert the halo and wedge fit it in there. It is a really snug fit. I used clear 5-minute epoxy to help hold it in. It is only epoxied at the very top and very bottom. The sides are "floating" in space. I put the power wire facing the bottom of the tail light. You will also need to cut a small notch in the reflector for the wire to pass through. Let the epoxy set. Once satisfied, go ahead and go around with a good quality silicon and pop the back back on. Make sure to let that solidify for 24 hours.
View attachment 511192
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

shoutout to GTO9090 for doing these for me! They look great and definitely give the car a sportier identity 👍🏻

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts