LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fake bacon lover
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok IT guys, this one is right up your alley.

Last week, my Dell Laptop (shit if I know model) went kerpoop. And I mean, it fucking died. You try to boot, nada. Hear a little beeping noise and some DOS shit comes up on the screen. Then prompts to hit the any key. WHERE TEH FUCK IS THE ANY KEY!!?!

Anyhoo... my IT guy told me its fuxored. Hard drive won't spin up.

:gto_rage:
shit

And ooh yeah, I'm a typical user dooshnozle. I haven't back up shit for ages.

So.... my question:

Do y'all have any experience with Hard Drive Recovery services? I know it ain't cheap (I've already cleared the cost with my boss). The work data that is on it is well worth a few grand to get back IMO.

I'm just looking for any recommendations on who to send it off to.

FWIW, its a Seagate, Laptop Thin SSHD - 500GB (that's what's written on it).

And no, I don't have any other 'technical' details I can give except IT dude said he tried but "it won't spin up."

·
Fake bacon lover
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I don't have laptop anymore - just the hard drive. Its wasn't the normal DOS beep shit. Just a real quiet constant beeping noise from inside... Of course, I just drive these things. I don't know what makes 'em tick. Or beep.

"maybe" someone local can do it, but I'm in a smallish city of 100,000.

Dallas/Ft Worth is only 2 hrs away. And I ain't skeert to send off in FedEX. I mean, what's the worst? Its all ready broken.

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Try plugging it in to an external HD enclosure and see if it spins up. Might have been the laptop/MB not providing power to it.
This.

You can always try Recuva software, (The software I had my company buy that I use is EaseUS data recovery), but the data will be jumbled up and unorganized. (aka, there will be no folder structure) I agree, if this is for business and not personal, don't risk making it worse. Take it to a local recovery company.

·
Suffering Fools
15,250 Posts
If your boss has already cleared the recovery cost, I wouldn't bother putting it an external enclosure. If the failure is something related to the power input then you might make it worse.

I don't know that there are any data recovery chains. Most of what I've seen are mom & pop shops. I'd try to find one local who has references.

·
Fake bacon lover
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to a local computer repair place and they gave me the name of recovery place they suggested in Austin. Its likely going to need to be 'cracked open' and a clean room to do so.

Sent off the hard drive today.

Will advise how it works out!

·
Registered Offender
32,473 Posts
cant you just go on facebook and find some russian hacker to hook you up broski?

·
Fake bacon lover
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL

I'm sure Facetoobs would have the answer for me in a jiffy!

Sidenote: damn a 1 TB back up HD is under $70. And a Terra byte isn't really all that big as they had 4 TB drives as well.

**sniff, sniff - I long for my old 486DX days...
mostly because I was like 22 and life was FREAKING GOOD! I was broke AF, but hey rent was split 3 ways and 30 packs of Keystone light were cheap.

Thank goodness craft beer didn't really exist back then.

·
Registered Offender
32,473 Posts
386/40 amd processor bitches with a 250k video card

·
Suffering Fools
15,250 Posts
I had a Compaq luggable with a 286, and the realtime clock chip was on an ISA card. It wasn't even built into the motherboard.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,647 Posts
So I haven't personally but our company has people they use. One of them I believe is the FedEx Tech Connect group. they run a repair center in a few places around the country.

Another is that we go back to the vendor - so for us it's HP or Dell and make them do it because warranty.

Was this a personal laptop or work laptop - I'd be surprised your company IT group didn't have a plan in place. That's on them, IMO.

·
1 of 40,757
6,249 Posts
Before you do anything have a nerd friend attempt to mount the drive with unix/linux.
If they are able to he/she can access and copy the data to another drive for you.

Often times files for windows to "see" the drive are corrupt where another o/s like unix is capable of accessing the drive.

·
Fake bacon lover
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Work laptop - not personal data
Boss has given me the okey-dokey to spend whatever

Media has been sent to fancy lab place in Austin that has a clean room
Fancy place has gotten back with me saying "mechanical failure" - the drive no spin (I knew that from our IT guy)

Waiting for them to see what they can do now
Assume they will crack it open and see why it no spin

Recovery cost is NOT cheap, but still worth it for the data IMO
I could pay more for faster turn around but I'm ok waiting.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,647 Posts
Work laptop - not personal data
Boss has given me the okey-dokey to spend whatever

Media has been sent to fancy lab place in Austin that has a clean room
Fancy place has gotten back with me saying "mechanical failure" - the drive no spin (I knew that from our IT guy)

Waiting for them to see what they can do now
Assume they will crack it open and see why it no spin

Recovery cost is NOT cheap, but still worth it for the data IMO
I could pay more for faster turn around but I'm ok waiting.
Oh you're good then - for new machine I recommend an HP. That's what we use and what I keep at home. so far for our group they have been better than any dell the company provides. I'd have dell, lenovo, and hp and so far for my uses the HP has always worked out better. (more reliable, faster, etc)

·
Fake bacon lover
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'll say one thing, these guys are moving at a really slow smurfing pace...

They have an on-line portal that shows updates. I had to e-mail my customer rep 3 days ago to ask for an 'update'. A week in and I've still only had one minimal detailed update.

Sounded like they tried to replace a board or something (just said first set of parts didn't work) on the HD and it still no spin. And then "we will try a fresh set of parts and hoping to have results soon"... that was 2 days ago.

So... what the smurf is your definition of soon buddy?
I emailed back asking for better update and why progress is going slow.

I understand try easy and less aggressive things first. Messing with the platter would be the last thing to try. But come on, LMK if its totally fuxored or whatnot.

Here is what I think; This place has a few "levels" of service. I choose standard which advertised 2-3 days for recovery. They also have emergency or whatever for lots more $$$ of course. So, I'm wondering if my shit is sitting there while they work on other things that keep bumping me down the que. Also as they have an actual clean room, I bet they get a lot of outsourced work from other data recovery places when you have to crack open the HD. They probably have 6 guys who do software and 'plug in' type recovery. But way less skilled technicians who actually can do physical work like mine needs.

And its the holiday weekend now. So, I don't expect anything before late Tuesday earliest. However come Wednesday afternoon. I will probably call and start to become less cordial and more 'look smurfers, I want you to work on my shit now'

PS: its a 4 digit price tag that I've agreed to (only pay if they recover) so this isn't cheap.

K, Rant over/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts