LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had the "hard shifter" in there GTO. My 06 does not shift smoothly at all. In fact the shifter is a little hard to move. Do not get me wrong, it will shift but I would not want to be in a drag race the way it is moving now. I just had a complete oil change. My mechanic suggested that I have all of the fluids drained and replaced. This car was stored for quite a long time.
It is an '06 with 38,500 miles. I am the second owner and I store it every winter. any suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS How to I correct miss spelled words once I have posted something?

·
GR-RRR!
7,873 Posts
Would help to know what equipment is on the car. Is it all stock? Have you flushed the clutch fluid? I'd start with a clutch fluid flush before you do anything else. If it is in the shifter or transmission, a good aftermarket shifter and a bronze shift cup will likely improve things.

The transmission and rear end really like only specific fluids. If you drain and refill, be sure to use good quality fluids that are known to work well in the GTO. For the rear end, Torco RGO 85w140 with the proper amount of Torco F-type friction modifier is a good choice. Also, refilling the transmission by putting in the correct volume instead of filling per the GM instructions is a good idea (the GM instructions cause it to be overfilled by quite a lot).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would help to know what equipment is on the car. Is it all stock? Have you flushed the clutch fluid? I'd start with a clutch fluid flush before you do anything else. If it is in the shifter or transmission, a good aftermarket shifter and a bronze shift cup will likely improve things.

The transmission and rear end really like only specific fluids. If you drain and refill, be sure to use good quality fluids that are known to work well in the GTO. For the rear end, Torco RGO 85w140 with the proper amount of Torco F-type friction modifier is a good choice. Also, refilling the transmission by putting in the correct volume instead of filling per the GM instructions is a good idea (the GM instructions cause it to be overfilled by quite a lot).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the drivetrain is all stock. I have no yet had the clutch fluid changed. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
Monaro, Ute, Commodore wagon
205 Posts
Yes the drivetrain is all stock. I have no yet had the clutch fluid changed. Thanks for the suggestion.
The clutch fluid is a good start, the LS2 clutch was particularly bad for clutch dust getting into the fluid, so worth keeping an eye on in general.

The old anti venom mod mentioned above does improve the shift feel, more just removing some of the notchy feeling. It's just a case of taking out the shift detent (can reach it from under the car without removing anything else) and shimming it with a washer or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts