LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a tire rotation on my goat tonight, taking the wheels off reqired many hits from a snap on 60oz. urathane hammer. The hubs are pretty rusty. Feel sorry for somebody who gets a flat and decides not to have it towed.

I've taken the wheels off of many cars and these wheels came off like a car with 100k on it.

So; I sanded down the hubs and brushed on some white grease making sure not to get any on the studs.

Just another reason to have your GTO towed if you get a flat tire. Hope I dont' have to eat my words :)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Usualy the first time is the worst. I typicaly use a very very light coat of high temp anti-sieze on the threads and hub when I put new lugs on or buy new wheels. This should keep it from getting stuck. When I mean light, i'm saying spread it around until you can almost not see it.

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
I have rotated mine once and they took a little bit of muscle to get off, but it didn't take a sledgehammer. I had an Audi A4 that I had to get towed because I couldn't get it off even with a sledgehammer. The state police was there helping and they were harassing the guy over the radio for not being able to change a tire :)

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
THis is just like the rear hubs on the Camaro. Very snug fitting. :D

I guess I take solace in the fact that my wheels won't fly off. :D

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CSiJason said:
I typicaly use a very very light coat of high temp anti-sieze on the threads and hub when I put new lugs on or buy new wheels. This should keep it from getting stuck. When I mean light, i'm saying spread it around until you can almost not see it.
yeah light very light coat of anti seize, white grease works best for making sure drum brakes don't weld themself on. I 've seen a few tow ins I think 2 that a wheel came off and their was visable anti seize on the threads. So I avoid doing anything to the wheel studs and lugnuts cept keep them clean.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Interesting - I didn't have any problems getting the wheels to come loose when I rotated mine - just a crossthreaded lug when putting them back on.
Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts