LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to hardwire my Valentine 1 radar detector to the passenger visor vanity mirror. When I cut the end off the RJ11 connector from the V1 to wire it to the visor, there are three wires, red, black & green. The visor only has two wires, black & red. I keep playing with it but can't seem to get the radar to power up. Does anyone know what wires I should wire together?

·
Registered
2 Posts
IndepGTO said:
I'm trying to hardwire my Valentine 1 radar detector to the passenger visor vanity mirror. When I cut the end off the RJ11 connector from the V1 to wire it to the visor, there are three wires, red, black & green. The visor only has two wires, black & red. I keep playing with it but can't seem to get the radar to power up. Does anyone know what wires I should wire together?
Take the wire coming from the v1 and hook the positive side to a switched fuse and the other wire to ground. Should work just fine

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're saying it won't work on the visor vanity mirror? I know that light isn't switched but I thought I could just turn the detector off when I want to. Besides, the V1 has three wires, not two. Should I hook both the black and green together to the ground?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've given up on the sun visor mirror. I have the wire routed now down below the drivers side but I can't find a wire to tap in to...that's why I was trying to go the sun visor route to begin with. All the wires are bundled together and I really don't know which wire to crimp on to. Do I just find a red one and go for it, or should I go for a white one? I managed to put my K&N Air Charger on myself, I can build computers from scratch, I didn't think this was going to be any big deal. I'm probably just in a stupid mood tonight.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
IndepGTO said:
Yeah, I've given up on the sun visor mirror. I have the wire routed now down below the drivers side but I can't find a wire to tap in to...that's why I was trying to go the sun visor route to begin with. All the wires are bundled together and I really don't know which wire to crimp on to. Do I just find a red one and go for it, or should I go for a white one? I managed to put my K&N Air Charger on myself, I can build computers from scratch, I didn't think this was going to be any big deal. I'm probably just in a stupid mood tonight.
This is how I did it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help phobos. I had seen your post showing the route you took but didn't remember seeing the pictures of how you wired it. Once I saw that Tapa Fuse gizmo, it was a piece of cake. I found one at AutoZone today for $5.99 and now I'm all hooked up and ready to rumble. Thanks again!!!

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
IndepGTO said:
Thanks for the help phobos. I had seen your post showing the route you took but didn't remember seeing the pictures of how you wired it. Once I saw that Tapa Fuse gizmo, it was a piece of cake. I found one at AutoZone today for $5.99 and now I'm all hooked up and ready to rumble. Thanks again!!!
No problem, glad you got it worked out. It is not the prettiest way of hooking up the detector by far but it is the least permanent as far as mods go (to both the car and the detector) and it was how I did my last car. The difficulty for me as I had described in that thread was actually finding the fuse box.

The pictures I recently added into the first post (they were linked in the 2nd post but only as a zip file from my website; don't know why I didn't bother to post them back then as I post probably too many pictures these days lol).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts