LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone measured the length of the SLP resonators?

The entire length INCLUDING the piping. Not just the resonator shell itself.

I unfortunately will have to be replacing the Resonators with DynoMax mufflers and making the GTO's version of the DynoMouth.

I loved the sound, and I think many other guys here loved it too and I think I may have even helped SLP sell a few after the guys heard mine. :D But the car is simply too loud as the little lady won't get into the car with me. In which case, when we go out, the GTO sits in the garage being useless. On a Saturday night, I want to take her out in style in the GTO and I can't because it's obnoxiously loud. It also defeats the sleek, sophisticated personality of this car. It isn't a racer boy Camaro but rather a muscular, sport coupe.

When she left for work the other day (I had left just before her and was about a mile away), she heard me loud and clear because she called me to ask if I had just gotten on it.

Plus if the windows are closed, their is rattling/vibrating inside the car from the resonance. Which after awhile DOES get annoying.

So if anyone has measure the resonators, please let me know. I will be ordering DynoMax's and replacing them this weekend.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
useless? this car can't be considered useless........

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's sitting in a garage on a nice Saturday evening/night because it's too loud for my significant other, then yes, it's a "useless" $30,000 paperweight in the garage.

Yea, I know, I should go get a new woman, right? :D

It's cheaper to get a set of mufflers vs. getting a new lady.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
If Dynomax doesn't have anything off-the-shelf that fits your plumbing and space constraints, Stainless Works can build you something that fits exactly. They can make s-tube, chambered, straight-thru, or baffled in a range of sizes. They use stainless wool for packing which will not compact, burn, or load up with moisture. I saw what they are doing on the new C6, and it's very interesting.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DynoMax should have something. The resonators are in the same place as the stock mufflers. The stock muffler body's are 10" and 10.25 accordingly with offset inlets and center outlets.

Here I'm thinking a 14" muffler, offset inlet in, offset inlet out in 2.5" OD and they should just pop in place of the resonators. Thing is, I don't have that resonator measurement.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
Maybe consider putting the mufflers from the Powerflow on there? They are basically bullet mufflers instead of straight through cans.

-Brian

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bullets will not net me the level I want to quiet it down too. Only an actual muffler will do that which is the route I'm going to have to go.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Here's a thought, how about one muffler that has two chambers for each side. Twin inlets and outlets. Essentially being two mufflers inside one case. That should help on space and should quiet it down.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's the equivalent of a DynoMax SuperTurbo muffler. They're a 2 chamber design. But I'm looking at an UltraFlo most likely.

Guys, I know exactly what I need/want in there. I just needed to know the measurements if anyone had them sitting around. Otherwise, I'll get under the car myself and measure it tonight. But if someone knew, I could order the mufflers today instead of tonight and get the process going sooner.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, updates.

The SLP Resonator is 18-18.25" inches long.

So I looked up the DynoMax muffler for the F-Body crowd as well as the Borla XR-1 muffler that is used for the Borlamouth. Personally, I do not like Borla, but the Borla works even better than the Dynomouth.

What I forgot was that the F-Body's intermediate pipe is 3" and all these mufflers/bullets were for a 3" inlet/outlet. Of course neither make a comprable 2.5" I/O unit. :(

So I took a last shot and tried Magnaflow. Sure enough, I found a Magnaflow (part# 14416) that is 4" round, 2.5" I/O but is 20" in length. Magnaflow adds that length in the piping, so if I lop off 2" on each side, it'll slide right in place.

I got them from Jegs for $69.99 each.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts