LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at our speaker layout and have been debating customizing it a little better. I’m thinking 6x9’s in the rear somewhere would be nice but I want to cut it out and install them, making it loom like they are suppose to be there. I didn’t know if anyone has tried this before. 3 sets of 6.5 is a little redundant.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,958 Posts
There has to be a thread or 2 in the electronics section on this. I've seen a car with 6x9's where the factory subs were located.

I've also seen people put actual 8's in there which takes a bit of work. Personally on my car when I got rid of it I had JBL components in the front, with JBl something 2 way 6.5 in the rear. I disconnected the factory subs and didn't really notice much.

I know, I know had to sound like shit, I didn't spend enough, etc etc. actual worked quite well with some tuning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might put subs in the trunk not sure, don’t really need all that. I was thinking it wouldn’t be to hard to put 6x9s in the rear and it would sound great. Then upgrading the front ones. Still working on the ideas

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,958 Posts
I think the popular route was the 8's in the rear. I thought of doing this if I needed more. With clean power and good signal I found I didn't really need much more. There is so much other noise in the car I really didn't feel like I needed to shake things much more.

I also didn't want extra weight. I think when I was done my audio mods were 4 lbs heavier than the factory stuff over all. Life was good.

·
Seriously?
1,586 Posts
There were a couple of guys that did mount 6x9s in the rear deck... Batboy was one and I remember reading about it and PM'ing him back in the day about it. I would do 6x9s over 8s in the rear deck and move the 8s to the side panels and do a good component set up front. This is assuming you want a great sound quality system and are not looking for a competition set up.

The $64,000 question is how to mount the 6x9s in the rear deck properly and fit under the rear deck cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8’s in the side panel sound interesting. I’m also not above laying something custom on the rear deck cover to make it happen. Still debating if I want to delete the side panel speakers all together or run 4 6x9’s😈 but I doubt that.

·
Seriously?
1,586 Posts
There is lots of information available about the side panel sub boxes and 8s in the rear deck on this forum. I am a fan of sub boxes in the side panels if the factory side panel does not have to be modified in any way so that it maintains the stock look. I like rear fill in a sound system so I would like to see 6x9s fit the rear deck.

For me, the ideal GTO system would be a good set of front components, a pair of 8" subs in the side panels, and a good 6x9 or 6.5 in the rear deck. Since our trunk is half occupied by the gas tank, I would prefer to keep what space we have and not use the trunk for anything. If you feel differently and/or want more bass, then you can do al lot with the trunk but there will no room for anything else. Your call on that one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There is lots of information available about the side panel sub boxes and 8s in the rear deck on this forum. I am a fan of sub boxes in the side panels if the factory side panel does not have to be modified in any way so that it maintains the stock look. I like rear fill in a sound system so I would like to see 6x9s fit the rear deck.

For me, the ideal GTO system would be a good set of front components, a pair of 8" subs in the side panels, and a good 6x9 or 6.5 in the rear deck. Since our trunk is half occupied by the gas tank, I would prefer to keep what space we have and not use the trunk for anything. If you feel differently and/or want more bass, then you can do al lot with the trunk but there will no room for anything else. Your call on that one.
I can fit a backpack in my trunk... 12 inch sub and a ported box, lol. Came with the car

·
Registered
753 Posts
Put a set of 8's on the back deck but moved them to custom boxes behind the seats. Just recently put 6x9's on the deck while the tank was out again. Got some wooden rings to mount them too. about an inch thick.

·
Seriously?
1,586 Posts
Put a set of 8's on the back deck but moved them to custom boxes behind the seats. Just recently put 6x9's on the deck while the tank was out again. Got some wooden rings to mount them too. about an inch thick.
Did you happen to take any pics of your 6x9 install? Curious to see the subs behind the seats also... was wondering if there was room between the tank and seats for anything...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Did you happen to take any pics of your 6x9 install? Curious to see the subs behind the seats also... was wondering if there was room between the tank and seats for anything...
Didnt take a pic but I could one of these days. Just remembered, its more like a 5/8" spacer as the 8's used a 1". There is room between the tank and speaker as I have a hard filter there anyway. But my plastic shell was removed along time ago.

·
Seriously?
1,586 Posts
Didnt take a pic but I could one of these days. Just remembered, its more like a 5/8" spacer as the 8's used a 1". There is room between the tank and speaker as I have a hard filter there anyway. But my plastic shell was removed along time ago.
Cool, if you get a chance and remember to take one, I'd like to see what you did. I am planning my stuff out now in hopes for a Spring install.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts