1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
Aftermarket ones have been around for awhile. Haven’t tried them, but have heard they sometimes will not program.

·
GR-RRR!
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aftermarket ones have been around for awhile. Haven’t tried them, but have heard they sometimes will not program.
Huh, first I've seen them. I think I'll stick with OEM, at least as long as they are available because I can see the fakes as not being reliable. I have a few spares tucked away, I had to use one a few years ago when one of my originals quit working. A new battery wouldn't even bring it back.

I know it's been said a million times, but these things were a really STUPID design by GM.

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
Yup. A blade that doesn’t retract and you can’t replace the battery without demolishing the fob. Genius design.

·
Registered
274 Posts
would there be interest in an aftermarket housing that could be taken apart? not sure if a flip key blade would work or not but it may be possible

·
GR-RRR!
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would there be interest in an aftermarket housing that could be taken apart? not sure if a flip key blade would work or not but it may be possible
I'm sure there would be. And if it could help incorporate holding the battery in place so the electronics could be converted to a changeable battery situation, I think you'd hit a real market for them.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Here's an aftermarket body and blank blade for $10. I bought two with the intention of swapping over the electronics and original cut blades. The screws that hold the blade go into the body as well. Not sure how useful it will be since you can't change the battery. I was going to have my EE buddy take a look and see if he could add a battery holder to the board.

·
GR-RRR!
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought an aftermarket replacement body so I could transfer the electronics over to it. The OEM electronics don't fit inside.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looks like there are now aftermarket keyfobs with electronics and everything. A lot cheaper than OEM but I have to wonder how good the quality is, will they last very long and can you even get them to program to the car successfully?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-Remote-Key-Fob-3-Button-for-2004-2006-Pontiac-GTO-FCC-QQY8V00GH40001/253684508877?fits=Model:GTO&epid=21005058977&hash=item3b10c668cd:g:qLAAAOSwEARbH21J
I bought a $20 ebay one and would not program. So going to bite the bullet and buy oem. My $.02.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bought an ebay special, and it was a waste of money. Wouldn't program. The metal pin doesn't stick out past the plastic case the way it does on factory fobs. I tried moving and resoldering the pin so it sticks out the way it should, but that didn't work either. I gave up and bought a new OEM one, and just programmed it last night. Worked just fine. I now have two keys - one that's falling apart but still usable (backup in my dresser drawer, lol) and a brand new one that I can now use.

In all the time I've had the car, I've never needed to cut a new metal key. The two I have are the same ones I have had since buying the car new in 2004. The fobs (more specifically the unlock button) are the crappy part that always fails.

·
GR-RRR!
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've tried a couple over the years. Not worth the headache. You can always get more money, but can't recover wasted time.
Maybe we can't recover time, but apparently we can shrink it.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts