LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
HGH Optimist
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figure it's an interesting conversation starter.

With some restaurants/businesses struggling... it's inevitable, unfortunately.

Any places near y'all that have had to close down? Doesn't even have to be a favorite, honestly. Just a place that has had to shut its doors.

Here in Houston, a couple of places that I've been to:

Bernie's Burger Bus - They started, obviously, serving food out of an old school bus, next to bars. Opened up a few small places over the years. They were opening up another location right before this all happened, but instead of taking out a loan, they used their own money. They tried to hang in there, but closed the doors a few weeks ago. Their menu was honestly way too expensive. Still sucks they had to close.

Barry's Pizza - Apparently they've been around for almost 50 years. Small little cabin looking place. The pizza wasn't stellar, but it was cool to go there for lunch at work, every so often. Their deep dish was the best thing they served. The owner put out a heartfelt message on their Facebook page. Right in the feels.

·
いいえ、それ&#
2,017,847 Posts
I haven't seen any closings right in our area but I'm sure there will be some that never re-open. A few restaurants here have done ok by switching to drive-up -- one has been selling home staples like eggs, bread, milk, etc from local producers to help their suppliers out as well as get food out to people. They just ended the program as the state has allowed re-opening with less patrons.

·
Worthless Staff Mbr
57,009 Posts
My favorite restaurant, Euclid Hall, closed in mid-March and I didn't feel comfortable visiting before they closed because it was right when Covid-19 really hit Denver. Another is Racine's, it is planning on closing Jan 15, 2021; however, with Covid it is currently closed and unless stuff gets better I doubt it will open back up. Spent a lot of time at both restaurants, really sad I didn't get to have one last hurrah. Meadowlark Kitchen, boyfriend and I had our second date there; excellent burgers. [email protected], classy tiny restaurant near me; had a fantastic meal with an old friend when they opened up a few years ago.

3 Kings Tavern, local punk/rock venue, closed permanently due to Covid. I personally couldn't stand the venue, but I went to a LOT of small shows there over the years. Jazz @ Jacks downtown, had karaoke (which I hate), but I spent a drunk night there with coworkers and it's sad it is now gone.

·
HGH Optimist
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 Kings Tavern, local punk/rock venue, closed permanently due to Covid. I personally couldn't stand the venue, but I went to a LOT of small shows there over the years.
My wife's nephew's girlfriend posted about that one.

·
HGH Optimist
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot that about 5 restaurants under the Pappa's franchise closed, as well. A lot of their restaurants were overrated, and overpriced, but it still sucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,159 Posts
All of our Restaurants have been booming after switching over to take out only and only recently opening back up to half capacity.

So I hear.

We or I don't eat out a lot.

It's pretty obvious in todays society that are are shit tons of people that can't cook or even boil water.

Reactions: LS2-GTO

·
HGH Optimist
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Texas is going to make the alcohol to-go thing permanent. That's been saving a lot of restaurants, too.

·
Super Moderator
12,159 Posts
I could totally see that Manny

·
Born in a class 5 hurricane
11,467 Posts
Not that I ate there, but one place nearby was Carter Brothers BBQ. Been around for a long time, turns out there was only one Carter brother left. He decided this would be a good time to retire and wound up shutting the place.

There's a burger place I go to frequently, a mom and pop operation. They greet me by name and always know exactly what I want. I continued to get take-out from them to support local business.

When NC started opening back up, I asked if they were going to have dine-in again. They said no. They were running at 1/3 capacity, but that it was sustainable. With only 50% of capacity open and people still skittish, they were unsure if they would have the business to support it.

They have since restarted dine-in, but there aren't very many people there. They still seem to do a good take-out business, but strangely they are having difficulty finding workers.

·
17,484 Posts
I haven't been paying attention (eating out anymore is disgusting on how much it costs for what you get), although bet there are at least a few locally that have bitten the dust, or will in the near future. Shame.

·
HGH Optimist
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have since restarted dine-in, but there aren't very many people there. They still seem to do a good take-out business, but strangely they are having difficulty finding workers.
Man, that sucks. It might start picking up since the unemployment stimulus is going away.

·
Registered Offender
34,204 Posts
theres a few places here that went belly up, 2 of them I really enjoyed but what can you do :(

·
Born in a class 5 hurricane
11,467 Posts
There's also a deli near work that I like to frequent at lunch, another mom and pop operation. I was buying my lunch meat there during the lockdown even though the grocery store is closer to my house. I know the grocery store will survive this economy. I wasn't so sure about the deli and wanted to throw some business their way.

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
There's a little diner in the Hooksett tolls that was closed. They said something about they are in the food court, but there is no food court, so I have no idea where they were talking. They have great chips there!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts