LS1GTO Forums banner

What do you think of aluminum tubing over the induction tube?

• Keep it for the "bling bling".

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Not a bad idea, but it needs to be redone more carefully.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • : slap : yourself around for even thinking it.

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Not even worth voting on.

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the never ending quest for easy, inexpensive "hot rod mods", I did something really... uh... different?

I bought some flexible aluminum tubing and slipped it over the induction tube. Pic attached. Place your vote and flame on. :D

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
hmmm,

Don't know if I like the look. (I don't like the look :)) But it may give you a bit of insulation aginst heat soak. I thought of doing the same thing until my carbon/kevlar tube comes in from New Zealand.. You get funny ideas walkin' round HomeDepot.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wouldn't do it, looks like exactly what it is, dryer vent tubing.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Thermotec

How about some Thermotec wrap, or sleeving Wildman?... :thumbs:

Florit, you are my hero. Your mind runs a thousand miles an hour all day... :D

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
:slap:

And one more for good measure...

·
Registered
98 Posts
derf said:

And one more for good measure...

:slap: :slap: :slap: Better add a few more for me.

Anyways they can chrome plastic these days I think. Not 100% sure and I dont know how it turns out but that might be a better route to go if you must have something shiney under your hood.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D

Dudes, I agree. It looks like a clothes dryer vent. It's coming off tonight. My GOD, what was I thinking?

:D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
It should provide a small degree of thermal isolation. Actually, I'm not much of a stickler for looks if it works. Form follows function. In my Probe I have a big piece of plywood to keep hot air off the intake. Having said that, let me know when the socks are done.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mistermike said:
It should provide a small degree of thermal isolation.
This idea, perhaps induced by sleep deprivation, was strictly for appearances. It looked good in my mind when I saw this flexible tubing in the store. It was like, "Wow! Hey! I could slip this over my Induction Tube! That would look awesome!"

It didn't.

hahahahaha, "...tell me when the socks are done." This, like all dryers, eats socks.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
How's this for off-beat food-for-thought, Florit? Take that dryer vent hose and pipe it to a CO2 tank with an outflow leading outside of the engine compartment. You can then pump CO2 through the space between the two tubes and drop the temperature of your intake tremendously on-demand.

Am I planning to do it? Heck no! Does it have potential? Well... ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
mistermike said:
It should provide a small degree of thermal isolation. Actually, I'm not much of a stickler for looks if it works. Form follows function. In my Probe I have a big piece of plywood to keep hot air off the intake. Having said that, let me know when the socks are done.
I tried the vent tubing 20 minutes ago. I started out with 6 pairs of sox, and now I'm missing two sox. What's worse is they're not even the SAME COLOR. Darn it all!!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
761 Posts
It should provide a small degree of thermal isolation.
Haha, theres no airbox and your talking about thermal isolation!!! :)

It looks rough, but hi-tech, I'd sugest a cold air intake, then thermal isolation for your tube:)

You can also get thermal tape for your extractors which will keep the engine bay cooler and keep the heat in your pipes like ceramic coating would...=more power.

Adam

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
White Rider said:
...You can also get thermal tape for your extractors which will keep the engine bay cooler...
Where are these "extractors" that you speak of? And what is "thermal tape"? I'm wondering if "thermal tape" inside the louvers on my carbon fiber hood would draw even more heat out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
761 Posts
extractors- the exhaust tubes that come out of your engine? Maybe its an aussie term.. sorry...

It's some sort of thermal tape Ive seen somwhere, maybe a magazine or a forum, it was a while ago... I'll try an look it up, basicly you just wrap it around the exhaust "extractors" it insulates them keeps more heat within the pipes- it doesnt look pretty, but apparently does a good job.

the louvers on your hood would certainly draw heat out- right into your fresh air ducts for your interior! It may get a little warm on hot days, you may find yourself turning the aircon on a bit more... also maybe some general engine bay smell wafting in, but hey its a muscle car right?:)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sanity Restored

Thankfully, this idea was easily revoked. I have removed the aluminum tubing and restored the HFI kit to it's intended state. Pic attached, with the date and time included so you won't think I'm cheating. :)

Man, it's a good thing I didn't buy that "chrome in a can" I was looking at! :D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
FLORIT said:
Thankfully, this idea was easily revoked. I have removed the aluminum tubing and restored the HFI kit to it's intended state. Pic attached, with the date and time included so you won't think I'm cheating. :)

Man, it's a good thing I didn't buy that "chrome in a can" I was looking at! :D
Looks much better. :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
White Rider said:
extractors- the exhaust tubes that come out of your engine? Maybe its an aussie term.. sorry...

It's some sort of thermal tape Ive seen somwhere, maybe a magazine or a forum, it was a while ago... I'll try an look it up, basicly you just wrap it around the exhaust "extractors" it insulates them keeps more heat within the pipes- it doesnt look pretty, but apparently does a good job.
Header wrap. Fiberglass tape you wind around the plumbing.
1. Keeps exhaust heat out of the engine compartment
2. Improves performance by keeping the exhaust hotter. Hotter=less dense, higher velocity
3. Can shorten life of headers if used improperly or on uncoated mild steel headers.
4. Lights your cats up faster

Points 1 and 4 are pretty much of a no-brainer, non controversial. Point 2 is debatable depending on who you talk to. Haven't really seen any scholarly workups or controlled A/B tests, but they might exist. Perhaps 1stChildhood has an opinion. Point 3 is probably where you will see the most polarized discussion. Most header manufacturers will not warranty wrapped headers. Over-wrapping will get the metal awfully hot, depending on what you're asking the engine to do. DEI and Thermatech both manufacture header wrap and recommend a 1/4" maximum overlap using 1/8" material. Header wrap can trap moisture with predictable results on mild steel. The composition of the header makes a lot of difference. Mild steel deteriorate at a lower temperature than some stainless alloys. On my Probe, I made a MAF-TB tube from a piece of stainless provided by Stainlessworks. I went through 4 drill bits putting in a 3/8" breather fitting. I cut a 7/8" oxygen sensor hole in a mild steel midpipe and it went like a hot knife through butter. NASCAR teams used to wrap headers and would burn them out in a couple races, however that is probably the severest real world application I can imagine. Don't know if they use mild or stainless headers.
I wrapped the header on my Probe because:
1 It's chrome plated stainless. Shitty stainless, but stainless nonetheless. I painted them with silica-aluminum paint before wrapping and painted the wrapping afterwards.
2 The primary tubes are awfully close to the radiator
3 I want the cat to work as well as possible. Probes will throw a "cat efficiency" code at the drop of a hat.
4 If I burn up the header, I'm only out $125 for a bit of Chinese metalwork. I don't think I will, because I wrapped according to spec and I'm not entering the Daytona 500 this year.

·
Registered
761 Posts
thanks for the info mistermike! I may have to do that to my C3 because of the right hand dirve conversion puts the steering box a hairs width away from the headers! I've already put an aluminium plate in between to act as a heat shield, but the fibreglass tape looks like a good idea as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts