LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I bought some gear thinking "I installed the Aux in mod, I can install a whole system." Now that some of the parts have come in, I'm thinking "hmmm maybe I'll just pay someone to do it."

So the question is how much would it cost to have:
-new HU (Blaupunkt MP46, got it because it looks good/clean)
-Front component speakers (INFINITY REFERENCE 6010CS 6.5" COMPONENTS)
-Rear quarter speakers (Haven't purchased them yet, thinking Blaupunkt VX652)
-Subs in the rear deck, open air (SSMB8)
-Amp (Targa hx-4 . . . bought it new off a friend for $35, give it a whirl)
-Amp (Kicker kx250.2 to push the Subs)

So what should I expect to pay to have someone install this stuff?

Thanks in advance

·
not fast enough
474 Posts
best buy rates
50 for the headunit
70 for components
42 rear spkers
100 or so on the amps
plus wiring, harness, dash kit

·
Registered
115 Posts
Any chance you would want to part with your stock deck with the Aux in?

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brazen Goat said:
best buy rates
50 for the headunit
70 for components
42 rear spkers
100 or so on the amps
plus wiring, harness, dash kit
Are those retardedly high or is it just me? :soapbox: Hmmmm I think I'm leaning back towards the "eh . . . how hard could it be, I can do it"

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04gotgoat? said:
Any chance you would want to part with your stock deck with the Aux in?
I think I read somewhere that there is some kind of security associated with our head units? If it's just a matter of plug and play, then yeah, I'll be selling it. If not I'm not sure it would be worth your time.

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
The prices seem a tad high, but I know they are pretty close. Install rates are one reason why I learned and now enjoy doing my own work. With the wealth of information available here, I would say you can tackle it yourself. If you run into any problems, remember we are all just a forum post away! Good luck!

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you want someone competent, experienced, insured, and responsible to do the install, and back it up, then those rates are low, if anything. We give a lifetime warranty on our installs and the BB rates are about 10% lower than ours.

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I will be giving this whole install thing a whirl. The only thing that has me really worried is the amps. I'm sure I'll try and mount the sub amp in the trunk, not sure where I'll put the 4 channel amp.

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
Yellow_Goat said:
Are those retardedly high or is it just me? :soapbox: Hmmmm I think I'm leaning back towards the "eh . . . how hard could it be, I can do it"

That is actually WAY low. We charge hourly and you are realistically looking at a 6-8 hr job minimum IF you are familiar w/ how a GTO comes apart. We charge $60/hr if you buy the equipment from us and $75/hr if you bring it in.

FWIW, our shop has been around since 1967 and our techs are also ASE certified and the least experienced guy has been installing for 9 years.

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
Most often however, quality shop != Best Buy. I know there are good shops out there, that charge alot more (but it is quality work), but sadly, there are more crap shops with shoddy work than quality shops out there.

·
2,089 Posts
pawz said:
Most often however, quality shop != Best Buy. I know there are good shops out there, that charge alot more (but it is quality work), but sadly, there are more crap shops with shoddy work than quality shops out there.
this is unfortunately SO true.

It gives those of us that take this industry seriously a bad name.

·
goat lover
212 Posts
my store is about 100 yards away from the local bestbuy and its amazing how many customers a week we get complaining about the install they do.

·
2,089 Posts
04redgto said:
Dont take it too bestbuy find a real shop... or do it yourself.

Bestbuy will tear your shizit up!!Personally after having a fellow member swing by and show me the ropes I wouldnt trust anyone w/out the helms too many little things when taking panels off.
yeah, GTOs are unlike ANY other new GM car...there is so much more involved taking these cars apart. It is actually very similar to how you have to take apart BMWs if you have ever had the chance to take interiors apart on those.

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna try and tackle it this weekend. I'll post pics of my car on fire when I'm done.

Seriously though, I have been doing quite a bit of reading on installations so I feels pretty comfortable with taking the car apart, it really is just the amps that freak me out. I think I can just connect one amp to the head unit for the RCA connection and just plug the second amp into the first. Can I also do that for power? Just hook one amp to the battery and send the power to the second amp?

As for you theory of good audio shops compared to best buy . . . I agree fully. I was just hoping that Best Buy charged way high, see electronics, as aposed to a local yocal who may actually know what they are doing and also provide a better price.

Thanks for all the input fellas I appreciate it.

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the record $250 is a FANTASTIC price for an install . . . having issues, will start another thread. SunofaBiaotch!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts