LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked in my transformer for my hard drive to the cigar lighter in the dash. Ever since then, I've noticed that when I shut the car off while the hard drive is in use that it will hesitate for half a second, the "Low Traction" warning comes on, and all the gauge needles jump up before coming down to rest when the car does turn off.

If I have the stereo on but not using the hard drive, it does not do this.

I'm going to move the hard drive to a separate circuit eventually anyway, but do you people who are using that connector for radar detectors and the like see this also?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I hardwired my XM modulator to the hidden plug in the dash to the right of the radio. I don't have any of the problems you mentioned, and I use my XM all the time.

Rob

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
I have 3 gauges, and my satellite radio wired to that, and have no issues.

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
My DPIC and Voltmeter are on that circuit, no troubles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
radar detector and satellite radio. no issues yet

·
Shallow & Pedantic
1,558 Posts
I think there are two different power circuits in that plug if i remember correctly. Which pin are you using. I posted a pic of the pinout a while back but couldn't find it for reference.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found that out on my own..

One only comes on when the lights are on. The other is on when the car is on (not Acc. power, but fully ON).

Actually that's probably the issue. I bet the problem comes from the fact that the radio isn't shutting down until the car is completely off, while the hard drive is losing half it's power a split second before that (when I'm rotating the key back). I better rewire that thing soon.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
I am running voltmeter, dimmed lighting for two gauges, a RadioShack cigar lighter, 12vdc hot for my oil pressure gauge and I (was) running my dual interceptors all from that one connector.

On the solid yellow that goes hot when the alternator is spinning via 20A fuse, not on the lighting circuit with the 2 color wire.

All the grounds (save the interceptors) come back to the black wire on the same plug.

Everything has its own fuse, I built quite the little wiring harness to tidy up one weekend.

I haven't had any trouble with any analogue stuff on this circuit.

With the Interceptors drawing hot from this plug, classII serial data from the DLC and grounding back to the DLC I do get occasional fuel gauge errors. Bobby at AZPSWest does too, see recent thread this section. I think he started his thread Saturday, this is Wednesday.

I am going to ping Willow and ask how that goatputer is wired up, this problem may have already been solved.

We are clearly into the retained accesory power system here, the BCM is trying to shut down circuits that aren't needed until the key goes back into the iginition switch. I don't see why the factory ACCY circuit doen't just power off when the alternator stops spinning.

It isn't like the alternator takes two minutes to spin down when we shut the motor off. My guess is there is some kind of link in there that lets the battery power circuits with B+ volts that ordinarily are powered by alternator/IGN1, IGN2, IGN3 volts.

I guess we could run a stand alone circuit from the B+ post to chassis ground and stick a relay in the hot side that closes with IGN1 presence and opens in IGN1 absence, but I kind of suspect that is what the BCM is trying to do for us already.

If I figure it out I'll post up.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if I should be using that 12V+ on the cigar lighter that comes on with the lights for dimming my HU. Didn't GTPPrix say once not to use the Illum wire from the radio since it's supposed to be variable with the gauge cluster?

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Lothar34 said:
I wonder if I should be using that 12V+ on the cigar lighter that comes on with the lights for dimming my HU. Didn't GTPPrix say once not to use the Illum wire from the radio since it's supposed to be variable with the gauge cluster?
Not unless he didn't have a copy of the Helm's yet. The problem with the two colored wire is available current. There is like jack doodle current to work with.

The 'brightness' command is either a 0 ohm 'dull' signal or a 5k ohm 'bright' signal on the wire between the ramp switch in the headlight switch assembly and the BCM. Base resistance on the wire is 2200 ohms. When a bright/dull command is received by the BCM, a digital signal packet travels the secondary serial data bus from the BCM to the radio and IPC. The radio and IPC respond to the data packet by modifying the amount of current fed to the illumination LEDs of the radio and IPC.

Notice the climate control LEDs do not change brightness with the radio and IPC. Find someone with the smoker's package installed, trade PMs, you will find the ashtray's illumination does not vary at all.

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
Lothar34 said:
I used this wire for my Voltmeter illumination function, and it works perfectly. I suspect that is a normal illumination wire, and not the "variable" variety that is used with the cluster / radio.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swmn said:
Not unless he didn't have a copy of the Helm's yet. The problem with the two colored wire is available current. There is like jack doodle current to work with.

The 'brightness' command is either a 0 ohm 'dull' signal or a 5k ohm 'bright' signal on the wire between the ramp switch in the headlight switch assembly and the BCM. Base resistance on the wire is 2200 ohms. When a bright/dull command is received by the BCM, a digital signal packet travels the secondary serial data bus from the BCM to the radio and IPC. The radio and IPC respond to the data packet by modifying the amount of current fed to the illumination LEDs of the radio and IPC.

Notice the climate control LEDs do not change brightness with the radio and IPC. Find someone with the smoker's package installed, trade PMs, you will find the ashtray's illumination does not vary at all.
The hard drive is drawing at most .5A @ 5V. I put a .5A fuse on the 12V side of the transformer, so it's not going to overload anything.

So is the illumination wire from the BCM to the radio 12V?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts