LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Yes, a bike rack on a GTO
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not getting very good AM reception and can't get an "all news" station. I get a constant whine in ghe background. It slowly increases but always seems to be there. It does not speed up with the engine. Never noticed if it is there whit the engone off. I know that the news stations in my area broadcast Free HD Radio but I don't want to replace my head unit.

Does anyone know if you can purchase and "add on" receiver, sort of like an XM add on receiver but for free HD Radio. I'm holding out before giving in and actually purchasing XM or Sirius.

·
Administrator
9,489 Posts
I'm not sure about the current add-on offerings for HD radio, but the units I have seen go for at least $200. That's a lot of scratch for the same lousy content with better sound quality. At least with satellite you're getting much more varied content. I've got an XM Commander on the stock radio and I'm very happy with it.
That said your reception with the stock radio shouldn't be that bad. By any chance do you have tint on the rear window, if you do that is your problem particularly if it's metallic tint. It is possible to have the tint replaced with ceramic type tint which will lessen the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts