LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked the car up from being tuned at Complete Street, and have to give props to @EDC for the custom cam and LandSpeed Development for the head work. Design brief to both was max torque under 5k rpm, dont care what happens above it. Car is a street car, so driveability, throttle response and low end power were key. This is thru an xair and ported ls2 intake, kooks&cats and a Corsa touring. Haven't had a chance to beat on it, but just driving it in traffic is so much better then the vrx5 that was in it previously.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, kept the stock one on purpose. 1k+ for the intake for and extra 10 or 15 hp isn't worth it for a street car imo. Can't use what I have now. Plus I'm on the edge of the fuel system now. So would need injectors and fuel pump with the intake. Rather take the money and put a magnum f in for the better shift quality.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
When I put a FAST 102 on my full bolt ons LS2, the power gain wasn't massive, but it gained at least 5+ through the entire RPM range (more in some spots of course). That is an increase you can use. Prior to the FAST I had a ported LS2 intake. It also revved noticeably quicker and throttle response was much better.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually had a new 102 in the garage and returned it. I understand the tradeoffs between the two and what the benefits and drawbacks are, just not interested in it vs total costs.

Cam is "small" - 226/231 .600/.598. Ed is a cam whisper, but those heads are most definitely contributing quite a bit.

· Registered
21 Posts
Just picked the car up from being tuned at Complete Street, and have to give props to @EDC for the custom cam and LandSpeed Development for the head work. Design brief to both was max torque under 5k rpm, dont care what happens above it. Car is a street car, so driveability, throttle response and low end power were key. This is thru an xair and ported ls2 intake, kooks&cats and a Corsa touring. Haven't had a chance to beat on it, but just driving it in traffic is so much better then the vrx5 that was in it previously. View attachment 522854
I have a EDC cam also and when tuned the guy said I can see the cams secret. Torque gets you moving. Had trans rebuilt guy said not fast but quick as shit which is what I wanted on the street.

· Yes my name is Holden
869 Posts
Greetings Mr. Banananutz & all; I'm curious is your Outomobile a 6 sp manual? Very nice team (parts) EDC put together for ya. My combinations is only 431 @ 5400 & I was spinnin' my old Dunlop Direzza 200 UTQG's. I purchased some Nitto NT555 R II's & they seem to hook well. Only got a few miles on them before winter hit. Oh I did install a FAST 102 on mine & has it caused some un pleasantness. Comp is sending me a new base, hoping that that will eliminate my interference with the valley plate. The button screws supplied with the intake "almost" cleared the intake base! I'm planning to C'sink & go flat head screws. Maybe the new intake base will give me some more clearance? I may end up chamfering the valley plate top side edges some also? A couple of other tid bits, mine has (Ls-2: A-4) JBA sorties, previously mentioned FAST, X-Air, 1.8 Rockers, .599" w/209* & .607" w/217* & Wagner's port work. I wanted near stock idle (OE converter) & Lots of Flow. Well Myself & the Comp tech guy did Not par the valve springs properly for the ultra fast ramps & 1.8 rocker. End result is I've been turnin' the wrenches way more than I intended. Oh with stiffer springs I can now Rev to 6700 with ease. Ya got a nice ride there, Enjoy, Ole' Bob.

· Registered
2004 M6 PMB
460 Posts

I definitely agree with your mind set on the mods. Our results are close, and your additional 20 hp demonstrates the advantage of the LS2 bigger bore / displacement over my LS1. Our cams are similar. Yeah a FAST 102 would have yielded more hp, but I am satisfied with the torque and drivability with my TPIS modded LS6 intake / 90mm.
A properly ported set of 243 heads, and more compression really help.

· Worthless reject member
84,741 Posts

I definitely agree with your mind set on the mods. Our results are close, and your additional 20 hp demonstrates the advantage of the LS2 bigger bore / displacement over my LS1. Our cams are similar. Yeah a FAST 102 would have yielded more hp, but I am satisficed with the torque and drivability with my TPIS modded LS6 intake / 90mm.
A properly ported set of 243 heads, and more compression really help.
AI answering emails yet? lol.

· Registered
2004 M6 PMB
460 Posts
AI answering emails yet? lol.
Funny you mentioned that. I checked his website and it reads like "business is normal" with a Winter 2022 update.
Who knows though. Glad I did get his 243 ported heads.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@vanrah - 6 speed with LS7 clutch. DSS one piece and stock rear/axles.

Yep, got afr plot. Injector duty cycle is at 94% in 35* temps, which is higher than i'd like. Practically speaking it won't be an issue for me unless im full throttle in 4th, and since i don't race the car, it isn't an issue. Having said that i'll likely put a DW65c in and look for some take off LS3 injectors over the winter to be safe.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

Assuming i'm looking at the right table, here is the timing.
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

I've had an AEM 30-0334 wideband and gauge in my amazon cart for a while, i'll likely also get and install that over the winter so that I can dial in the tune further, mostly for driveability. No idea how to tune, but looking forward to learning. Having a really solid base tune to start from will make things easier. I had debated tuning it myself completely, but I wanted to spend time enjoying the car, not getting it to idle and drive decently learning to tune. Now I can work on the marginal gains as I like, making small changes with a good base to fall back to if I need to.

I can't say enough nice things about Brett @ Landspeed. I had started with AI, nothing but email conversation and getting a canned "stage 2" offering didn't appeal to me. Was able to talk to Brett and discuss the goals and desired outcome for the build multiple times, and was generous with his time and knowledge. He listed to what I wanted, what the brief to Ed was with the cam, and then made adjustments to his offering based on that conversation. Would go with him again without question.

· Worthless reject member
84,741 Posts
I had debated tuning it myself completely, but I wanted to spend time enjoying the car, not getting it to idle and drive decently learning to tune. Now I can work on the marginal gains as I like, making small changes with a good base to fall back to if I need to.
that part can be fun, too.

· Premium Member
77 Posts
My LS1 is hitting 489/436 heads, cam, fast 92 Nick williams 92mm throttle body, 42 lb injectors, 10 percent underdrive balancer, long tube headers catless x pipe magnaflo exhaust. Cam specd by tony mamo who also ported the intake and throttle body. Heads were cncd by cnc racing heads in joliet IL

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts