LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
silver gto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking some major Head work on existing Heads...ported, polished, valves & springs, intake/exhaust tuned with a z06 cam and dyno tuned. Everything else will be STOCK.

Re-working the INTERNALS for warranty purposes. Car is 2 weeks old

What kind of HP gains can I expect??? Please advise.

Silver GTO
Houston, TX

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
silver gto said:
I'm thinking some major Head work on existing Heads...ported, polished, valves & springs, intake/exhaust tuned with a z06 cam and dyno tuned. Everything else will be STOCK.

Re-working the INTERNALS for warranty purposes. Car is 2 weeks old

What kind of HP gains can I expect??? Please advise.

Silver GTO
Houston, TX
MTI is right at your doorstep in houston. They do all inhouse cylinder head work.

Otherwise Patriot Performance offers LS6 stage II heads with no core exchange.

I wouldn't go with a Z06 cam, i'd go MTI (ironic) Stealth II cam. or a Comp XE 224/224 .581 114 LSA. I heard a GTO with the comp cam I mention and it idled like a vacuum cleaner, very smooth and :secret:

·
silver gto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Padre,

Any idea what kind of gas mileage you get with your cureent Mods....Or do you care???

Silver GTO
Houston, TX

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
silver gto said:
Any idea what kind of gas mileage you get with your cureent Mods....Or do you care???
:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

When racing, I get about 5mpg. On the highway being a good boy, about 18mpg. Since I'm rarely a good boy, it's significantly less. :)

Padre

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It's probably cheaper to buy an already worked set of heads. Patriot, MTI, GTP (that's what I have) are all excellent and allows you to keep your stock set laying around should you ever need to return it to stock.

I can't quote you rear wheel HP numbers without knowing the stats on the heads you're planning on doing. What is the combustion chamber size? What is the compression? Valve sizes? Runner degree? Pathways ported? Or just polished? Same thing on the cam, What lift, duration and lobe separation? Are you planning on keeping the stock 1.7:1 rockers?

·
silver gto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...So buying a set of heads will be cheaper.

I'm torn between keeping the head work on the oem's but even if I do that the warranty will go out the window...probably??? (Your opinion welcomed). Then I should just go with cost effectiveness and get some "ready" made heads.

Trying to rationalize which way to go.....

Silver GTO
Houston, TX

·
Registered
72 Posts
silver gto said:

I'm torn between keeping the head work on the oem's but even if I do that the warranty will go out the window...probably??? (Your opinion welcomed). Then I should just go with cost effectiveness and get some "ready" made heads.

Silver GTO
Houston, TX
You mention that you want to do major work on your preexisting heads (valves, porting, springs). In that case, buying a ready made set is basically identical to getting your one-off port work done. The ready made heads start out as oem heads as well. Save yourself some time and guess work and get a set of proven heads from a reputable shop.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Their are Fbody guys running LG G5X3 cam (a very large cam, specs are actually kept secret, I think its the biggest cam you can use without fly cutting the pistons) and still getting 29mpg on the highway. G5X3 and thunder racing TREX cams are considered streetable by thoes who have installed them.

The ultimate heads to get would be AFR 205cc.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Do the pre-made heads like Patriot or AFR's come polished or is that extra?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
silver gto said:

Silver GTO
Houston, TX
If you alter any of the internals or the heads whether it be porting your stockers or buying a pre-worked set, your warranty is pretty much gone anyway!

The already "worked" heads are GM castings that are custom built to either your specs or a package spec. These are not aftermarket molded units or anything.

·
silver gto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BlueGTO said:
You mention that you want to do major work on your preexisting heads (valves, porting, springs). In that case, buying a ready made set is basically identical to getting your one-off port work done. The ready made heads start out as oem heads as well. Save yourself some time and guess work and get a set of proven heads from a reputable shop.
Note taken to Heart/Heads...HeHe

Silver GTO
Houston, TX

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Join the club. :gr_jest:

Padre
I'm ganna join it VERY SOON!

·
710 Posts
silver gto said:
Wow...Saudi Arabia. They tuners there???
hell yeah lol, for me SLP 500hp's package is on the way :cool:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
PadreGTO said:
I can't wait to see some more desert videos. :cool:

And just for the fun of it, here's Dark against a Firebird and a Stang in Saudi. Who'd a thunk Saudis had a street scene? :cool:

Good luck, bro! Padre
its funny you mention this. i saw a new special about the street scene in one of the middle east countrys (either saudi arabia or kuwait). it is actually a ver popular past just like in the states. they have just about any car you can find state side. not too mention the fact that the people in those countrys are generaly pretty wealthy. and they get cheaper gas. its a winning combo

·
710 Posts
PadreGTO said:
I can't wait to see some more desert videos. :cool:

And just for the fun of it, here's Dark against a Firebird and a Stang in Saudi. Who'd a thunk Saudis had a street scene? :cool:

Good luck, bro! Padre
thx bro! the package will be shipped around 24th. Stainles LT's, speed induction, Vigilante converter 2800 , B&M super cooler will be here by the next sunday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts