LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok can someone explain this to me.....sorry for the dumb question that started an argument

The headers end right before the cats? and then there is the resonators? These header packages that are offered.....Do they replace the cats or what I am confused on what bolts on where. Can someone put some arrows on the image below and explain the whole setup for me?
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5851&highlight=dynatech
this pic above shows the new cats that come with the dynatech system? Does this remove the resonators too? I am confused do you guys understand what I am asking? Draw me a pic please.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Driver7 Please stop answering questions if you do not know the answer.

SW LTs are available with or without Cats. The Resonators are eliminated with both KITS. The SW LT kit that does not come w/ Cats supplies a "test pipe" that is used in the location that the catalitic converter would occupy. The Cat KIT is supplied w/ 3 inch Random Tech Cats (brand may or may not change) and if i am correct, this KIT may also be suppiled with the "test" pipe for those times you want to run catless.

I did not install my LT's. From the info I got, the KIT includes all instalation hardware except manifold bolts and gaskits, both of which are re-useable.

Also, if the cats are moved from the stock location, the system is no longer emissions leagal. Both systems move the cats further back towards the rear of the car. This makes both systems "Off road Use Only". Including the cats allows for the #2 O2 sensor to be used, reduces crackel and is better for the enviroment. It may help to avoid a large fine as well and it may APPEAR leagal to an inexperanced inspector.

I love my SW LT's and I have no opinon, good or bad about any of the other systems as I have not seen them or used them.

SW's w/ cats are Stainless and the Dyno's seem to be mild steal for the same price.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Driver7 Please stop answering questions if you do not know the answer.

SW LTs are available with or without Cats. The Resonators are eliminated with both KITS. The SW LT kit that does not come w/ Cats supplies a "test pipe" that is used in the location that the catalitic converter would occupy. The Cat KIT is supplied w/ 3 inch Random Tech Cats (brand may or may not change) and if i am correct, this KIT may also be suppiled with the "test" pipe for those times you want to run catless.

I did not install my LT's. From the info I got, the KIT includes all instalation hardware except manifold bolts and gaskits, both of which are re-useable.

Also, if the cats are moved from the stock location, the system is no longer emissions leagal. Both systems move the cats further back towards the rear of the car. This makes both systems "Off road Use Only". Including the cats allows for the #2 O2 sensor to be used, reduces crackel and is better for the enviroment. It may help to avoid a large fine as well and it may APPEAR leagal to an inexperanced inspector.

I love my SW LT's and I have not opinon good or bad about any other systems as I have not seen them or used them.

SW's w/ cats are Stainless and the Dyno's seem to be mild steal for the same price.
statement retracted

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Here is a pic showing the New location of the cats w/ the Dyna tech system. The SW systems moves them even further back.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
ok, so what i said wasn't really wrong, it was just incomplete. i neglected to mention that you can get the SW LTs with Cats (but i did say that it is up to the buyer to decide what they want to do about Cats). and i neglected to clarify that both kits completely eliminate the resonators.

oh, and i guess i was unclear on the term "kit". both kits come with all connecting hardware, etc. i just meant that the dynatech kits comes complete with cats, etc. my bad.
Yes, It was completely wrong.

GTOdriver7 said:
the only other LTs (besides the dynatech) i know of right are the SWs. this is not a really a kit since it is just a pair of headers.
It is a kit which includes items besides a set of headers.

GTOdriver7 said:
no, not all LTs replace the stock cats etc.
LT's replace or remove the stock Cats. Stock Cats can no longer be used with LT headers.

GTOdriver7 said:
with these, it is up to you buyer to decide if they want to replace with Hiflow Cats, resontors, etc.
resonators and stock cats can no longer be used as there is no room for them w/ LT's. The buyer has no choice to use stock hardware here. Their choice is After Market cats or nothing.

GTOdriver7 said:
the dynatech system will be a great value kit for those who want Cats to remain stree legal.
The cats are moved, The system is not street legal.

Driver, this is not the first time you have posted erroneous information. Please do not post answers to questions that you are not 100% accurate on. This forum is here to help the GTO community and educate those who are interested in learning. Please join that group. The number of posts under your sig does not increase a members standing here. As I have said in many other forums before. Read Read Read.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
*68 rips me a new @$$hole :punch: :punch: *

ok, i still believe that most of what i posted was correct but incomplete and probably not easily understood. so i guess you could say that i was wrong or just not 100% correct. i could go back and try re explain what i meant by each of my points, but i wont.

i dont wanna get into an arguement with you, so i will just say sorry for the mix up and thank you for correcting me. i will try to be more clear in the future. sometimes its hard to explain these things in writing.

and im sorry to all, if anything else that i have posted is "erroroneous". not purposeful, just a mistake. i will try to be more careful.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
sometimes its hard to explain these things in writing.

Only if you do not know the answer.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Kick him a couple more times, he's still trying to get up !! :gr_jest:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:

what i meant was, is that some things take a great deal of explenation. i believe my error was caused by me not COMPLETELY explaining EXACTLY what i meant. again, my mistake.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
what i meant was, is that some things take a great deal of explanation. i believe my error was caused by me not COMPLETELY explaining EXACTLY what i meant. again, my mistake.
You keep right on standing up. I admire that in a person. Really I do.

Your error resulted, as it always has, by a large misunderstanding of the facts. You have a tendency of knowing 10% of an answer and inventing the rest. It was magnified by the fact that you refuse to admit that you are flat out wrong. Tell me, where do you attach the headers, above or below the heads?

Not everyone here is expected to contribute new information to the forum. Nor is everyone expected to be an expert in any aspect of the GTO. Most of us, myself included, are learning everyday. Please do not hinder that by continuing to post erroneous information. Leave answering technical questions to those who understand the question asked and also know the correct answer to the question.

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
GTOdriver-
Tell us what you really meant....
;)
Street/emissions legal is a bit of a grey area. I know the rules, but states seem to have varying degrees of enforcement. Here in Nevada, now that they use the OBD2 port under the dash, they don't even look under the car for cats. My Viper had no cats or mufflers, but since the PCM was programmed properly, no codes, and passed smog.....
:D
I've had the PCM re-programmed on the Goat to ignore the rear 02's as well, so as soon as the SW headers arrive next week, I'm good to go.
:)
Mufflers are for wussies, btw.
;)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
You keep right on standing up. I admire that in a person. Really I do.

Your error resulted, as it always has, by a large misunderstanding of the facts. You have a tendency of knowing 10% of an answer and inventing the rest. It was magnified by the fact that you refuse to admit that you are flat out wrong. Tell me, where do you attach the headers, above or below the heads?

Not everyone here is expected to contribute new information to the forum. Nor is everyone expected to be an expert in any aspect of the GTO. Most of us, myself included, are learning everyday. Please do not hinder that by continuing to post erroneous information. Leave answering technical questions to those who understand the question asked and also know the correct answer to the question.
ok, i was wrong, you were right.
i retract all earlier statements. i will be more careful about what i post in the future. can we let this die now?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
It is true that there are various alterations to the laws from state to state. In Illinois, where Driver7 is from, moving the cats is Illegal. I may be wrong but I believe that is true for most states. This is why all LT header suppliers call their systems "Off Road Use Only" systems. In Illinois they will occasionally look under the car but not often. In Mass, they inspect very thoroughly and will likely detect the change.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
ok, i was wrong, you were right.
i retract all earlier statements. i will be more careful about what i post in the future. can we let this die now?
Yes.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
It is true that there are various alterations to the laws from state to state. In Illinois, where Driver7 is from, moving the cats is Illegal. I may be wrong but I believe that is true for most states. This is why all LT header suppliers call their systems "Off Road Use Only" systems. In Illinois they will occasionally look under the car but not often. In Mass, they inspect very thoroughly and will likely detect the change.
this was one of the points that i was trying to make. what i meant to say was, is that with LTs, after market CATS and proper tuning, your car should pass emissions test, but that it wont pass a visual inspection. but since many times the attendants dont look under the car, you would be almost "legal" ;) (in Illinois anyways, cant speak about other states)

·
Been here for a long time...
4,659 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I believe its Federal, not state law, about cat location. Moving a cat from the stock location is illegal, plain and simple. I'm not 100% sure but replacing a stock cat with an aftermarket cat is illegal also if its under 50K miles.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts