LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done doing my header install on my 04. It wasn’t till the end I heard about the Steering column screw breaking once it’s disconnected and rotates too much. What happens if that screw breaks? Or how will I know? Sometimes when I turn my car sticks a little and I got a pole hard the other way to unstick it. I didn’t know if that was the screw or the steering hitting my headers but I don’t see any marks on my headers.

·
GTOless
7,128 Posts
I believe you are talking about two different issues. The “breaking” you may have heard about is the clockspring breaking if you rotate the steering column when you disconnect it. You will know right away because an airbag light will illuminate.

The other problem sounds like exactly what you think, the bolt hitting your header. There are a few possible causes, your motor mounts may be worn, your rack might need to be adjusted a touch by loosening the steering rack mounting bolts, or the headers have a poor fit. I wouldn’t be driving the car around with a chance of the steering locking up. It happened to two guys I know, one went off the highway around a turn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weirdly enough it’s under acceleration, I was actually wondering if it the motor mounts throwing with engine back on it. Just tightened the rack and pinion bolts the other day so it may need to be reset but it was done at a shop so I think it should be good.

·
GTOless
7,128 Posts
That is when it usually happens. My buddy made a turn and floored it, it completely locked up on him. Luckily he was only going 25-30mph and it unlocked itself when he let off of the gas. I forget if his motor mounts were loose or missing a nut (this was about 10 years ago). My other buddy was lucky as well but still went off-roading when it happened.
Like I said, I would check the motor mounts first. If not that I would look into seeing if the rack could be adjusted slightly. If it isn’t any of those, it could just be the fit of the headers and you may have to clearance the tube with a BFH.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Has happened to me a few times with shorty headers. Scary as idk what when it happens but goes away before you can poop your pants. Had stock rubber mounts and when I gassed it on a turn it would lock then free when I let off. Now that I think of it, this is why I’ll keep my poly engine mounts. Safety over comfort because I don’t like my dash shaking while I take off but like having a car to drive more.

·
Worthless reject member
47,713 Posts
Has happened to me a few times with shorty headers. Scary as idk what when it happens but goes away before you can poop your pants. Had stock rubber mounts and when I gassed it on a turn it would lock then free when I let off. Now that I think of it, this is why I’ll keep my poly engine mounts. Safety over comfort because I don’t like my dash shaking while I take off but like having a car to drive more.
You just have all kinds of crazy stuff happen to your car.

Partout?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just torque checked everything under the car and it checks out. I took it for another run and it only seems to lock when I turn the wheel left the hit the gas hard then I let up and it unlocks. Goin to see when I get time if the steering is hitting the headers but I don’t imagine it is if it drives fine under low acceleration.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I just torque checked everything under the car and it checks out. I took it for another run and it only seems to lock when I turn the wheel left the hit the gas hard then I let up and it unlocks. Goin to see when I get time if the steering is hitting the headers but I don’t imagine it is if it drives fine under low acceleration.
people just told you that is exactly what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
If you say so

·
Worthless reject member
47,713 Posts
Weirdly enough it’s under acceleration, I was actually wondering if it the motor mounts throwing with engine back on it. Just tightened the rack and pinion bolts the other day so it may need to be reset but it was done at a shop so I think it should be good.
That is when it usually happens. My buddy made a turn and floored it, it completely locked up on him. Luckily he was only going 25-30mph and it unlocked itself when he let off of the gas. I forget if his motor mounts were loose or missing a nut (this was about 10 years ago). My other buddy was lucky as well but still went off-roading when it happened.
Like I said, I would check the motor mounts first. If not that I would look into seeing if the rack could be adjusted slightly. If it isn’t any of those, it could just be the fit of the headers and you may have to clearance the tube with a BFH.
people just told you that is exactly what happens.
That post didn’t add anything helpful to the thread. I was reiterating.
i, too, will add a useless post.

get some poly motor mounts and adjust your rack, and stop telling people they don't help when they all just did.

·
GTOless
7,128 Posts
Look at where the shaft goes through the headers and see which tube it is close too . Then loosen the bolts that hold the rack and see if you can adjust the rack away from where it is close. Then tighten the rack back up.

If that doesn’t work, you most likely need motor mounts (you probably do either way since these cars are 15 plus years old).

If neither of those work, it’s most likely poor fitting headers. Which brand do you have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate everyone’s knowledge and taking time to post. Didn’t mean for this to get side tracked. Did the poly mounts make your daily drivers annoying! I’ve heard the engine drone is bad.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I appreciate everyone’s knowledge and taking time to post. Didn’t mean for this to get side tracked. Did the poly mounts make your daily drivers annoying! I’ve heard the engine drone is bad.
Cant say I like them but are a compromise between stock rubber and some sort of solid mount. When I installed a one piece driveshaft it felt like the motor was loaded harder and the rubber mounts didn’t like that. Mind you, I’m super sensitive to vibes, sounds and what not. Installed some poly mounts and later 3M window welded a new delco trans mount. Sure it’s a much more direct feel but with an M6 my dash vibes on 1st gear takeoffs. Others claim shifts are improved, MPG’s are better and overall value is higher but YMMV.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Whiteline here, I still have a vibration when cruising in any gear at 1500rpm, and a slight one at 1750. I just avoid it with gear and speed selection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts