LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, back in 2015 my OEM lights were beyond saving.
I bought Spyder headlights. Its now 2019 and they are beyond saving.

I want to replace my head light assemblies and this time protect them with something (probably HeadlightArmor) but I'm curious if these are the only choices.

• OEM = Best but excessively expensive.
• Spyder = Cheap but also look cheap.
• Dorman = Didn't know these existed, cost similar to Spyder. Has anyone seen them in person / have photos?

• = ??? Any other options?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've never seen or heard of dorman headlights?
OEM or bust. You can have a very clean set of used OEM for 350-400. Add headlight armor and good to go.

·
Living the dream!
4,817 Posts
If it were me, the money I'd spend would be determined by the type of driving they'd see. For a DD that you know will be seeing damage in the future, I'd go with aftermarkets. I really wouldn't give a hoot what other people say how cheap they look.

For a GTO that is not a DD and usually enters into car shows, it would be OEM's only.

And yes, headlight armor, weather tech headlight vinyl, clearcoat, etc. is a very good idea on any new or used headlights that are in nice condition. As mentioned here in a different thread, apply a good protectant on the vinyl every few months to help them looking good and protect against UV damage.

I understand what you're saying about "beyond repair", but what exactly type of damage does your current set of headlights have?...Pics?
Do you think a good wetsanding and clearcoat can help them?
Once replaced, you can send the old ones to me and I will see what I can do for refinishing. I enjoy projects like that.

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If it were me, the money I'd spend would be determined by the type of driving they'd see. For a DD that you know will be seeing damage in the future, I'd go with aftermarkets. I really wouldn't give a hoot what other people say how cheap they look.

For a GTO that is not a DD and usually enters into car shows, it would be OEM's only.

And yes, headlight armor, weather tech headlight vinyl, clearcoat, etc. is a very good idea on any new or used headlights that are in nice condition. As mentioned here in a different thread, apply a good protectant on the vinyl every few months to help them looking good and protect against UV damage.

I understand what you're saying about "beyond repair", but what exactly type of damage does your current set of headlights have?...Pics?
Do you think a good wetsanding and clearcoat can help them?
Once replaced, you can send the old ones to me and I will see what I can do for refinishing. I enjoy projects like that.
I drive my GTO like a Hoonigan. It stays outside through all seasons. Nothing stays pristine on this car. Example this was my first manual burnout. Thought I could just row through the gears, I still have a decent amount of learning. Next time I'll just feather the brake and gas and stay in 1st.

I'll get photos tonight.
Looking at my photos (cause I photo document everything) My headlights were fine before I had my GTO towed to CSP. 3 months later I have my GTO back and it looks like something dripped on the headlight and ate the plastic. I'm NOT saying it was CSP's fault at all, its just a situation of shit happening and I'm dealing with it.

The stock photos of the Dorman headlights doesn't really show how they look on the car. They MIGHT actually look decent. The spyder lights wouldn't be so bad if the halos weren't so cheaply made.

·
Registered
305 Posts
what about changing lenses from one of the cheaper models to your oem ones if you still have them? not sure its possible but an idea. seal with butyl after.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,111 Posts
I've had Headlight Armor on my OEM headlights for years and it's coming up on time to change them out again.

Headlight Armor keeps the lenses clear, but my housings are starting to get pitted and brittle looking. I think they'll crack and fall apart before the lenses go bad. My GTO lives outside and occasionally gets to live under a car cover. The elements and the engine bay heat aren't doing my headlights any favors.

Regardless, all OEM headlights are ~15 year old plastic...

·
Registered
269 Posts
anything other than OEM are trash imho. I owned my current GTO then sold and and bought it back. Guy I sold it to put those trash lights on, never seen such junk in my life. They were ripped out (along with a lightbar) the day it came home.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd love to be able to get a set of replacement lenses for my stock headlights. I don't hate the look of the spyders which is why I'm running a set at the moment but I kept my stock ones on the off chance someone eventually comes out with replaceable lenses. Mine are beyond saving sadly, with micro fissures in the lenses that can't be sanded out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
anything other than OEM are trash imho. I owned my current GTO then sold and and bought it back. Guy I sold it to put those trash lights on, never seen such junk in my life. They were ripped out (along with a lightbar) the day it came home.
Who the fuck puts a lightbar on a gto...damn it

·
GR-RRR!
5,328 Posts
I can't speak to Dorman, but if TYC ever starts making headlights for these cars those would be a solid alternative if the ones I put on our old VW are anything to go by. I had a hard time telling them from OEM, they were that good. And amazingly affordable.

·
Worthless reject member
39,905 Posts
i have TYC oem-replacement headlights and tail-lamps on my truck, they are a bit lower in quality than original equipment. similar design, poorer materials.

·
Living the dream!
4,817 Posts
I'd love to be able to get a set of replacement lenses for my stock headlights. I don't hate the look of the spyders which is why I'm running a set at the moment but I kept my stock ones on the off chance someone eventually comes out with replaceable lenses. Mine are beyond saving sadly, with micro fissures in the lenses that can't be sanded out.
Care to part with 'em and send them to me? I'll gladly cover the mailing fee's.
I'm not saying that I will repair them to new, but I will definitely try.

PM me if interested.

I'm guessing that this has been discussed before, but I just haven't seen it:
Can the lens' on the spyder headlights be heated off and transferred to the OEM's?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I ordered a set of OEM's from JHP and they cancelled my order and informed me GM has no more in stock. Can anyone tell me where else to look for some OEM's? Thx

·
1 of 40,757
6,382 Posts
The Dorman headlights are $142 through summit racing and a couple weeks out when ordered.
Considering the price I wouldn't expect much but they do look ok.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts