LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I guess I will have to buy Spyders since that seems to be the only choice available.

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Who the smurf puts a lightbar on a gto...damn it
yup a lightbar in the bumper behind the lower grill. THen he decided to mount the switch right next to the power window switch and drilled right into the window switch circuit board. So he put a piece of tape over the hole and drilled another hole. He did some real ugly paint under the hood too on the intake manifold and rail covers.

I undid everything he had done to it and then did a bunch more upgrades while I was at it. I saved her, shoulda never let her go to him in the first place.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Who the smurf puts a lightbar on a gto...damn it
yup a lightbar in the bumper behind the lower grill. THen he decided to mount the switch right next to the power window switch and drilled right into the window switch circuit board. So he put a piece of tape over the hole and drilled another hole. He did some real ugly paint under the hood too on the intake manifold and rail covers.

I undid everything he had done to it and then did a bunch more upgrades while I was at it. I saved her, shoulda never let her go to him in the first place.
Smh. Good on you for cleaning it up

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

You should make a thread telling the story of how you gave away then rescued your GTO. I want to see the transformation from nice, to rice, to survivor.

·
LS9 FTW
241 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If it were me, the money I'd spend would be determined by the type of driving they'd see. For a DD that you know will be seeing damage in the future, I'd go with aftermarkets. I really wouldn't give a hoot what other people say how cheap they look.

For a GTO that is not a DD and usually enters into car shows, it would be OEM's only.

And yes, headlight armor, weather tech headlight vinyl, clearcoat, etc. is a very good idea on any new or used headlights that are in nice condition. As mentioned here in a different thread, apply a good protectant on the vinyl every few months to help them looking good and protect against UV damage.

I understand what you're saying about "beyond repair", but what exactly type of damage does your current set of headlights have?...Pics?
Do you think a good wetsanding and clearcoat can help them?
Once replaced, you can send the old ones to me and I will see what I can do for refinishing. I enjoy projects like that.

The drip marks feel grooved into the plastic.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm going to have to do something soon. Mine aren't yellowed, but look a bit hazy, almost as if you had stuck a saran wrap on certain areas on the front. The car is inside most of the time.

I hit them with some polishing compound and a 3" buffer a few months ago, after taping off the paint around them. It got better but not perfect.

To do a better job, I'd probably have to remove them. Does the bumper have to come off to do that?

·
1 of 40,757
6,382 Posts
On my car the passenger side is sand blasted and the drivers side while not new is clean and looks pretty good. Kind of odd. Both original, bought the car new.

·
GR-RRR!
5,328 Posts
I put Lamin-X on my headlights as soon as I got the car in 2010. They still look like new.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts