LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight I took a ride out to summit to look at some goodies for the gto and now im looking for advice. I was thinking of going with the Ls6 conversion (Heads,Cam,Intake) and adding a procharger D-1SC with a 7-8 Pound pully and of course the fuel system will be upgraded with bigger injectors,a bigger MAF, and other bolt ons that go with what im doing. I was wondering if anyone had any better recomendtaions for the heads,cam setup or is the ls6 conversion better suited for what im doing. I do not know what stuff is out there for the ls1 and for blower setups but im more of a centrifigul supercharger fan and I really like prochargers intercooled boost. I have had a vortec charger before and I do not have any compliants about there charger's but I like prochargers setup and Im calling them in the moring to see if there D-1SC kits for the f-bodys and vettes will be a problem on the goat but im figuring it should not be a problem since the motors are vituraly the same as far as I know. Im just looking for a good combo on the heads and cam for the blower I will be buying. There will be plenty of pics when Im installing and afterwords and anyone in the NE Ohio area will be glad to come check her out when she is finished. By the way any other recomendations on what would be good to do?

Here are the specs for the procharger unit

Spec sheet for procharger units

Thanks,
Dale

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
As far as I know, it's not a problem of whether the supercharger is compatible with the engine - it's a problem of fitting all the piping in and having it be emissions legal. The engine compartment of a GTO is quite a bit different from that of a Vette or an F-Body. Have you looked at the Magnuson Supercharger yet?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
He is probably looking down and smiling at you & your GTO! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm from the NE Ohio area and would like to be updated as you
get more info on this upgrade. I had a Vortech'd Mustang before
the Goat and that is what I am eventually looking to do also.

Carmen

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
LS6 heads are good for the money you could probley get patriot performance ported stage IIs heads and a thunder racing 224 cam. AFR heads have just come out but they are couple hundred more then PP's.

Speed Inc. / LS1 speed sells patriot stage IIs (CNC ported LS6 heads) with comp or lunati cam of your choice, fel pro head gaskets, all other gaskets and balance bolt for $2150. http://www.ls1speed.com/whatsnew.cfm#enginexx5

·
Try Me
85 Posts
If you go H/C.. The Eaton cannot support the Airflow Needs. You'd need to go with a Procharger or a Whipple.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Condolences on the passing of your dad. Consensus of those who've been there is that Patriots or AFR's are better bang for the buck than LS6 factory heads. AFAIK, the cam choice ideally should be one designed to complement the supercharger. Like you, the Pro Charger intriques the s**t out of me. It seems to be the preferred weapon of the Vette/Fbody guys. Tons of good info on ls1tech. What ever you do, I'd certainly like to see it. BTW, I found out about a dyno / tuner in one of Cleve's eastern burbs who supposedly does Mallett's work.

·
Try Me
85 Posts
mistermike said:
Condolences on the passing of your dad. Consensus of those who've been there is that Patriots or AFR's are better bang for the buck than LS6 factory heads. AFAIK, the cam choice ideally should be one designed to complement the supercharger. Like you, the Pro Charger intriques the s**t out of me. It seems to be the preferred weapon of the Vette/Fbody guys. Tons of good info on ls1tech. What ever you do, I'd certainly like to see it. BTW, I found out about a dyno / tuner in one of Cleve's eastern burbs who supposedly does Mallett's work.
Careful with the Procharger. I don't know if all the Belt Slippage issues have been worked out yet

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys and the condolnces on my father...
I really liked the airflow research heads for the mustang so I might look into that :) I do belive procharger switched to a 8 rib belt if im not mistaken they used to have a 6 rib belt Well I will keep everyone updated on what I end up doing .. Im defintaly going to stick with centrufulgal supercharger as a roots style is just not what im looking for. And from pepole in my area maybe we can set up something and meet at dragway 42 for a day of some fun

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well so far I have been reading the Forced Induction sections and Internal engine tech over at ls1tech.com and trying to see what the best setup would be I know what procharger unit I want to go with the D-1 with a 8 rib setup (seems they have some slipage issuses on the belt on the 6 rib) I need to find out more info on AFR's heads for the LS1 and a good cam choice for a supercharged ls1 is there any other intakes other then ls6 intake that are out there? (That are not to pricey like lingfellers one) im doing this on the stock bottom end so I will be keeping boost down in the 8 psi range and will be probley installing the heads and cam over the late fall - winter season put the charger will go on now :D (I want to at least break her in first) and of course a good dyno tune after the install. By the way what eastern suburb of cleveland is that tuner at (I used to live in cleveland) And I goto a college in strongville curently if there is any places that are good with dyno tunning supercharged ls1's and knows what they are doing let me know as I had a computer custom ordered for my mustang when I had it as I knew of no places that did any dynos out here( Couple of freinds said they had a mobile dyno unit up at norwalk a few times) but they did no tuing it was just there to get the numbers. I like to do my research before I just go buy parts and slap them on thats what I did before and had a nice combo on the mustang till I twisted the oil pump shaft and lost oil presure and well needless to say should of been watching the gauge when it let loose. Sofar a Procharger D-1SC 8 rib setup (Room for exapsion) A good set of afr's that are ported (where to find) and a nice cam profile thats good for street drivabilty and for the blower application (not to ruff in the idle) Im going to be driving this on the street mostley doing daily driving and to work and college classes besides in the winter so I do not want somthing that is just not drivable that why I love supercharging there when you want and not when you don't The only other thing I can think of is what Size Injectors would be recomened to run ( I do belive the procharger kit comes with them not sure though) and any other thing that would need upgraded to handle this (Drivshaft? ect)

Phew long post but im excited and want to get something together soon

Thanks.
Dale

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Ok, your looking at a pretty high power set up. Unfortunetly your demands go furthur then what the OE short block is suited for in my opinion. The furthest you could reliably take a RPO LS1 short block is about 500rwhp. That is obtainable with AFR 225cc heads now available, pair that with a LG G5X3 cam and your nearly at the 500mark, estimated with bolt ons. The equivilent of a G5X3 is a TREX cam from thunder racing. From reading the the many amounts of information over the past years, i'd go with a 114* LSA about 220* duration (give take) and you have a good driver and not a dyno queen.

Their is other intake options other then LS6, their is a LSX manifold by FAST. The weiand manifold is pos, nobody uses that, i'll make a bold generalization on that.

Driveline-Your going to need a KAAZ LSD no questions asked, thats $900, best changing gears while doing that to 3.91. And a spec clutch too.

If you do blower built motor etc your going to need this differential made in australia, it uses Ford 9" ring and pinion but bolts on the GTO with no modifications. And looks nearly OE. VERY EXPENSIVE!
http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder/driveline_components/99-ahsg2525-00.html

have fun take plenty of pictures for us.

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
I wish you a good luck, and sorry about your dad
I lost my dad last year 28/03/2003

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
DFWGTO said:
OMG Thats an expensive Diff!
Actually, in U.S. $ it is only $5,186.00. :eek2:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
about twice the price of a 12 bolt for a Fbody :eek2: Shipping cost would be a Killer too.
But its OE looking with little mods to put it in, basically bullet proof and made by one of Australias top performance engineering and fabrication firms.

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well for now it looks like the procharger will just be going in.. maybe over the winter I will decide on putting more work to the engine but I will be thinking about this and what I want to do :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Ya know, you guys are talking about replacing the diff with a $5.2K unit but our good friends BMR Fabrication are saying in their latest product announcement that the OE rear diff does just fine in a vehicle that pulls low 11's in the quarter...And I'm sorry but the GTO with an S/C alone isn't going to be pulling low 11's so why spend a buttload of money changing something the "break it then design a new one" guys say is pretty sturdy?

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't plan on changing the Diff the only thing im doing right now is adding a charger and then over the winter im going to be looking at a head/cam combo :)

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I never said Harrops diff is required, its an option. I'd assume that price of it could be haggled. BMRs axles driveshaft and hubs cost $3,000!!!! thats friggn expensive.

You only have one option with our diff and thats a KAAZ diff, with the harrop you can use any ford 9" LSD spool detroit locker etc. KAAZ diff is a g note to your door step so your already 1/5 of the way to a harrop diff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts