LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
TREAD HERE. LIMP HOME.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else disappointed with pedal position in this car? This is definitely my ONLY significant beef with this awesome car. The pedals are too far apart and a little too offset. I have to twist my foot clockwise to span the pedals, and even then its difficult to get a decent blip. On my Z06 and even my 328is, the heel-toe goes like buttah, but on the GTO I have to be a contortionist. Is it just me?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Yep, I'm with you on that one. I had a similar thread "peddle spacing" about a month or so back. Damn thing almost killed me when my foot slipped off of the break peddle.

·
got rice?
480 Posts
RA7 GTO said:
Anybody else disappointed with pedal position in this car? This is definitely my ONLY significant beef with this awesome car. The pedals are too far apart and a little too offset. I have to twist my foot clockwise to span the pedals, and even then its difficult to get a decent blip. On my Z06 and even my 328is, the heel-toe goes like buttah, but on the GTO I have to be a contortionist. Is it just me?
I couldn't agree with you more. I have the same problem with heel and toe. And I wear a size 13. I would like to see some aftermarket pedals that would bring the gas and brake closer together. That would give me a little more confidence when trail braking.

Brakes could also use a little touch up since they faid after some hard stopping.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Not only are the pedals to far apart but the gas is closer to the floor than the clutch also gives me grief.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
What is "heel/toe shifting"?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
FLORIT said:
What is "heel/toe shifting"?
When entering a corner at speed and down shifting and breaking at the same time to more rapidly slow down and stay in power band.... pressing the break with the heal of your right foot and bliping the throtle (sp, gas, sorry) with your toe as you down shift. The idea is to raise the RPM to the higher rate the lower gear will demand. In this car, with the high torque of the motor, if you do not heel/toe and you down shift hard the rear end will break loose because the tires will not spinn as fast as they need to. Kind of like hitting the breaks... Bad in a hard corner.

Too many "and"s in the first sentence, not time to be gramaticly correct.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I wonder what they did to the pedals on Stu Hayner's car, if anything. Don't recall seeing any pix of them.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
In the article they said they installed a heel/toe kit on Stu's GTO. Some of the parts for the his GT car came from down under, like his brakes. I wouldn't be suprised if the heel/toe kit came from HSV or one of the Aussie companies.

·
3,327 Posts
I have wondered about this "Heel/Toe" thing. I was trying to figure out how to do a smoky burnout, but with my limited experience with a manual transmission I was trying to figure out how I would brake and clutch at the same time. At least I assume this is how you do a smoky burnout. I have not tried it yet. Advice is appreciated.... :D

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Smoky burn out.

install a line lock on the front breaks. turn it on. pump the break pedal to build preasure. spin the tires. when you feel you have done enough damage to your tires, push the release button and roll it out.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I saw a vid (and have no idea where it is now) of several different cars in japan racing on a road course. I know one was a s2000 and another a g35. Anyway, they had camera's in the cars and one guy was doing a toe-heel (he had his toe on the break and the heel on the gas). It was really wild to watch.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Huh, it was always explained to me to heal the break and toe the gas. I could easily be wrong, I learned as a teenager from a teenager.

·
3,327 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Smoky burn out.

install a line lock on the front breaks. turn it on. pump the break pedal to build preasure. spin the tires. when you feel you have done enough damage to your tires, push the release button and roll it out.
This sounds great, but where do you get one? Thanks again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Huh, it was always explained to me to heal the break and toe the gas. I could easily be wrong, I learned as a teenager from a teenager.
If the pedals are close enough, you press the brake with the inside edge of your foot and you blip the throttle with the outside edge of your foot, like this picture:

If the spacing (or your shoe width) does not allow that, you're supposed to press the brake with the ball of your foot and rotate your heel counter clockwise to get the accelerator with your heel. Here's a diagram that I found:

I've tried a couple times and can reach the throttle with the outside edge, but only if I put my foot very close to the edge of the brake pedal. It doesn't feel very secure, and the little rubber knobbies don't help much either. I haven't found a comfortable way to do the true heel-toe like the second diagram. Do a Google search on heel toe and you'll find several articles right away.

I need to find a nice empty place where I can practice this for a while. I keep having this vision of coasting into the car in front of me because either my foot slips off the brake, or just not braking enough while I'm concentrating on trying to blip the throttle and downshift.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Would the answer to this be aftermarket pedals (ie, bigger, wider clutch pedal)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Maybe a wider brake pedal. The clutch pedal isn't the problem. The other alternative would be if the brake pedal could some how be adjusted even just a half inch closer to the accelerator.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
So I assume Bozo the clown wouldn't have a problem.....
:drink: :drink:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I actualy bought a new pair of Vans because they had a wider, flatter toe area..

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Tigger said:
If the pedals are close enough, you press the brake with the inside edge of your foot and you blip the throttle with the outside edge of your foot, like this picture:

If the spacing (or your shoe width) does not allow that, you're supposed to press the brake with the ball of your foot and rotate your heel counter clockwise to get the accelerator with your heel. Here's a diagram that I found:

I've tried a couple times and can reach the throttle with the outside edge, but only if I put my foot very close to the edge of the brake pedal. It doesn't feel very secure, and the little rubber knobbies don't help much either. I haven't found a comfortable way to do the true heel-toe like the second diagram. Do a Google search on heel toe and you'll find several articles right away.

I need to find a nice empty place where I can practice this for a while. I keep having this vision of coasting into the car in front of me because either my foot slips off the brake, or just not braking enough while I'm concentrating on trying to blip the throttle and downshift.
This would be good practice for auto-xing.

I thought raising the gas pedal (or lowering the break) is whats needed.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
mlc said:
This would be good practice for auto-xing.

I thought raising the gas pedal (or lowering the break) is whats needed.
Na, you need the break a little higher that the gas. That way when you are in the break it is almost level with the gas and you use the bread pedal as a fulcrum.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts