LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just a Re-engineered Cavalier
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a helmet, just incase I managed to break into the 13s my first time at the track. Didn't quite work out, only ran twice (14.1, 15.7) and had to completely get out of the second run. I noticed my helmet is Snell 2005 rated, but also says M2005. I am understanding that M is motorcycle and they lack some fire protection. Am I going to get grief from track officials on this? Should I return it and get one that is for auto racing? Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
SA is rated for cars. You are correct that SA rating adds fire protection that the M helmets do not have. If the tracks checks closely they may not let you use it. Some do, some don't. If you plan on racing alot or doing something with the SCCA or some other road racing groups you should get the right helmet.

·
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my plan is to be in the high 11s. So they might look at my equipment somewhat seriously. I guess I'll just take this one back and pick up the Simpson for 2x the price.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go online and look at Discovery Parts. They have a good selection and good prices. They have a special on now if you buy any helmet they through in a nice helmet bag. Look at the G-Force helmets. Good helmets alot cheaper than Simpsons or Bells

·
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a G-force now and it's definitely a nice helmet. I'll check out the prices on some assorted brands. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
125 Posts
m rated helmets are acceptable for anything expect pro catagorie cars and blown alcohol cars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts