LS1GTO Forums banner

Help! Alarm/Remote Issue

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  dmonty 
#1 ·
I have had my car about 3 hours and the alarm went off in the driveway untouched and now the remote will not lock or unlock the car. The alarm appears to arm itself without pressing the lock button but it doesn't go off when you open a door. The lights/taillights,etc. will come on when pressing "unlock" but the doors do not unlock. It's really putting a damper on my "new car experience." Any ideas other than back to the dealer?

#5 ·
04bluegto said:
read the book I think all you have to do is get in the car and start the car up the LED screen below the speedo will tell you why the alarm went off. and it shoud reset it.
Already tried that. The red alarm light on the dash will start flashing after I am sitting in the car with the doors unlocked and the key not in the ignition. I don't think that's supposed to happen. And as I said before, the remote will not lock or unlock.

#6 ·
Chuck said:
Already tried that. The red alarm light on the dash will start flashing after I am sitting in the car with the doors unlocked and the key not in the ignition. I don't think that's supposed to happen. And as I said before, the remote will not lock or unlock.
That is normal.

The system arms itself if the key is not in the ignigtion. Think of it this way... the car protects itself should you forget to lock the doors.

As for the remote not locking or unlocking... have you tried the other key? I ask because maybe the one you are using has a dead battery? Note that these are recharged while the key is in the car running. Maybe if your car sat on the lot for an extended period it maybe low. If that is the case, take it to the dealer for replacement/repair.

#7 ·
Huntress said:
That is normal.

The system arms itself if the key is not in the ignigtion. Think of it this way... the car protects itself should you forget to lock the doors.

As for the remote not locking or unlocking... have you tried the other key? I ask because maybe the one you are using has a dead battery? Note that these are recharged while the key is in the car running. Maybe if your car sat on the lot for an extended period it maybe low. If that is the case, take it to the dealer for replacement/repair.
Thanks for the info. My car just came in 8/18 (built 6/04, shipped 7/26) so I wouldn't think it would be a battery issue. I did try both keys and it would turn the lights on when pushing unlock but would not unlock the door. After driving to work this morning, then to the bank, I tried again and now it works. Not sure if I'm happy about that or not. I guess if it doesn't happen again I will be. It's been parked now for about 4 hours and the alarm hasn't gone off. On a more pleasant note, I love the purple interior and the exhaust sound is incredible. I hope to Zaino later this afternoon. Thanks again.

#8 ·
I am glad it's not doing it anymore... not being there to experience the chain of events and forgetting how strange the car was to me at first, coupled with my old brain (I suffer from CRS) makes me forget the things we want to do with this car based on habit learned from previous cars. This cars lockout protection is strange and interesting to get used to. I do not believe what you experianced to be normal, however. Once used to it though, it makes total sense, you simply can not lock your keys in this car.

Chuck... I hope you are going to claybar the car, it made a HUGE difference in the smoothness... and you are going to LOVE the Zanio on the Cosmos, I know I'm addicted :D

Don't forget to post pics of the goat... can't get enough of those!

BTW... where are you located?

Diana

#9 ·
Huntress said:
I am glad it's not doing it anymore... not being there to experience the chain of events and forgetting how strange the car was to me at first, coupled with my old brain (I suffer from CRS) makes me forget the things we want to do with this car based on habit learned from previous cars. This cars lockout protection is strange and interesting to get used to. I do not believe what you experianced to be normal, however. Once used to it though, it makes total sense, you simply can not lock your keys in this car.

Chuck... I hope you are going to claybar the car, it made a HUGE difference in the smoothness... and you are going to LOVE the Zanio on the Cosmos, I know I'm addicted :D

Don't forget to post pics of the goat... can't get enough of those!

BTW... where are you located?

Diana
I do plan to clay it. I am located in Macomb, Illinois.

#10 ·
Out in the boonies ;) At least you shouldn't see any other purple goats around... and maybe no others for that matter.

While we are both in Illinois, you are closer to our family hunting land in Missouri than where I live up near the WI border.

Have fun with that car, I know you will!

#11 ·
Huntress said:
Out in the boonies ;) At least you shouldn't see any other purple goats around... and maybe no others for that matter.

While we are both in Illinois, you are closer to our family hunting land in Missouri than where I live up near the WI border.

Have fun with that car, I know you will!
My brother bought an Impulse Blue Metallic about six weeks ago. Needless to say, we have the only two in town. I will be anxious to see the final production numbers on the colors. Since purple has been deleted for '05 obviously they didn't make too many for '04. Since I just sold a purple '98 Regal GS, it's apparent that I like to drive something different from the crowd.

#12 ·
Chuck said:
I like to drive something different from the crowd.
Me too... didn't realize that GM was going to make that more so for us... lucky us :gr_jest:

#13 ·
Huntress said:
Me too... didn't realize that GM was going to make that more so for us... lucky us :gr_jest:
My self-healing was short lived. The alarm went off twice again in the driveway. I then read in the Owner's Manual that the alarm message will continue until you press mode. So I pressed mode and drove the car down the street to do a "test lock" to see if the alarm would go off again (I assumed my neighbors were getting annoyed at this point). I locked with the remote and waited and the alarm did not go off. Problem solved I thought. I drove back home and now the remote will not lock or unlock again although unlock does turn on the appropriate lights, etc. This is becoming very frustrating. I fear my dealer will have no clue how to fix it since they've only sold two of them.

#15 ·
Chuck said:
I had the same thing happen to me once. The light you mentioned is supposed to do what you describe. My remote would not work either until I got in the car, Turned on the ignition and manually locked/unlocked the doors a few times with the button on the door. It has been fine since. :)

#16 ·
Superwildcat said:
I had the same thing happen to me once. The light you mentioned is supposed to do what you describe. My remote would not work either until I got in the car, Turned on the ignition and manually locked/unlocked the doors a few times with the button on the door. It has been fine since. :)
Thanks. I drove it to work this morning and locked it just fine with the remote and so far, the alarm is not going off. I think the key is don't set off the alarm. It appears to screw it up for a half a day. Thanks again for letting me know I'm not alone.

#17 ·
Chuck said:
Thanks. I drove it to work this morning and locked it just fine with the remote and so far, the alarm is not going off. I think the key is don't set off the alarm. It appears to screw it up for a half a day. Thanks again for letting me know I'm not alone.
Well it worked great from Sunday until Thursday night. I apparently forgot to lock it when I got home. I went out about an hour later and noticed the interior lights were on and the car wasn't locked. Tried the remote and it wouldn't lock it. Started it, locked and unlocked manually, still no remote function. Drove it, turned it off, started it again, drove it, turned it off and got out, the remote locked it. Stood and stared at it and the alarm did not go off. Took it home and locked it with the remote. About ten minutes later the alarm went off. I then had to manually turn off the interior lights and lock it with a key. I love the car but this is making me crazy. Does anyone have any other ideas before I call the dealer? The only common denominator in all of this is that it was washed on each of the days that this has occurred. Don't know if that means anything or not.

#18 ·
SOunds like the remote keyless programming module is fubared. It is programmed to accept signals from your FOB then uses a rolling code to lock/unlock/alarm the car. IF it is getting wet from washing and shorting out, you may have found your problem. :)

Definetely point this out to the technician as electrical problems are the hardest to work on as you can't see electricity flowing through a circuit. :)

As to an aftermarket alarm, I wouldn't waste my money nor would I install one on one of these vehicles. THe electronics are sooo sensitive all it takes is one "f-up" in the installation and can make your car a 3,700lb paper weight. Remember, those aftermarket kits have "general" wiring instructions, not specific GTO wiring harness instructions. Just my $.02

Plus, if someone wants the car, it'll be gone regardless of what alarm is used.

#19 ·
CMNTMXR57 said:
SOunds like the remote keyless programming module is fubared. It is programmed to accept signals from your FOB then uses a rolling code to lock/unlock/alarm the car. IF it is getting wet from washing and shorting out, you may have found your problem. :)

Definetely point this out to the technician as electrical problems are the hardest to work on as you can't see electricity flowing through a circuit. :)

As to an aftermarket alarm, I wouldn't waste my money nor would I install one on one of these vehicles. THe electronics are sooo sensitive all it takes is one "f-up" in the installation and can make your car a 3,700lb paper weight. Remember, those aftermarket kits have "general" wiring instructions, not specific GTO wiring harness instructions. Just my $.02

Plus, if someone wants the car, it'll be gone regardless of what alarm is used.
Thanks. I thought it had fixed itself again until I came home for lunch and locked it just for a test. It took 45 minutes this time (the longest so far) but the alarm did go off. I think it has something to do with the driver's door as well since that is always the trigger according to the DIC. I called the dealer and mentioned the remote module. It goes in Monday morning. I'll let you know what they find.

#20 ·
Chuck said:
Thanks. I thought it had fixed itself again until I came home for lunch and locked it just for a test. It took 45 minutes this time (the longest so far) but the alarm did go off. I think it has something to do with the driver's door as well since that is always the trigger according to the DIC. I called the dealer and mentioned the remote module. It goes in Monday morning. I'll let you know what they find.
For those of you that may be interested, I took my car in on 9/15 for a new driver's door switch. As of this writing, that seems to have fixed the problem. Almost seems too easy doesn't it?

#21 ·
CMNTMXR57 said:
Actually you can, but then you have some really serious problems!! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.