LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
if you do a stroker, i would suggest building a separate engine to the specs you want and swapping, just for ease. no sense in car downtime.

there are many LS builders out there that can help you with the specs you will need to achieve the goals you want.

you could also consider forced induction. that might get you to your power goals a little easier.
I've always been scared of forced induction, so much extra money in prepping, in getting the super/turbo, and the chances of failure/damage. And again I'm doing it for fun, not to race lol. Turbo ls is certainly nasty business and if I had that much money I would definitely consider it

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
you have a chance of "failure/damage" with any route you take, even just bolt-on only. take your time, learn as much as you can before you buy, really plan the entire build before you commit.

honestly, if you just want a nice amount of additional power, a supercharger kit (although expensive!) will let you keep all the driveability and you will have more power everywhere. Running lower boost pressures, you should be able to run a fairly stock fuel system with the exception of a larger fuel pump and larger injectors. You really don't need to change your cam or heads, although it will help you make more power with less boost.

and when you want to step it up, you definitely can later on. quite a few guys making in excess of your stated goal on the stock bottom end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
you have a chance of "failure/damage" with any route you take, even just bolt-on only. take your time, learn as much as you can before you buy, really plan the entire build before you commit.

honestly, if you just want a nice amount of additional power, a supercharger kit (although expensive!) will let you keep all the driveability and you will have more power everywhere. Running lower boost pressures, you should be able to run a fairly stock fuel system with the exception of a larger fuel pump and larger injectors. You really don't need to change your cam or heads, although it will help you make more power with less boost.

and when you want to step it up, you definitely can later on. quite a few guys making in excess of your stated goal on the stock bottom end.
Yea I have always wanted to have a supercharged car with a big cowl hood. I prefer them over turbos personally. This is definitely a year+ time away so im just gathering info and making plans now.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
if you get a cowl, don't get a VFN hood unless you plan to dumping a bit of money into getting it to fit right.

They make decent hoods, but they're all pretty much meant for full-on "because racecars." they are also probably one of the lightest aftermarket bolt-on hoods for the GTO, as well.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
If you're interested, I have the old calipers and rotors off my 05 - front and back. Everything was working great when removed. Message me if you have questions.
You should be fine with the 4l65e. The only difference in the 60 and 65 is the front and rear planets. Just make sure all the internals are in good shape. And make sure those planet gears have no play in them. Most replacement parts are cheap but foreign made.
Typically the aluminum blocks are only good for .010" oversize. At least the LS2s. Speaking of LS2, have you thought of finding a core and building that instead? Just a thought.
The input and output shaft are stronger on the 4l65, not by alot. They are said to be induction hardened. I attempted to use aftermarket induction hardened factory shafts and destroyed them in less than 20 miles. So advice, do not use the aftermarket hardened shafts. Buy shafts from the dealer, but if you are going to do all that, skip the factory ones and get the sonnax billet shafts. There is a few other minor differences but 4 pinion planets are not any weaker than the 5 pinion. I have 4 pinion planets in mine, its seen 20+psi of boost on the regular.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts