LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My GTO just rolled 1,000 miles today, and up until wednesday everything has been great. Wednesday however on my way home from work, I was crusing along through a 45 mph zone in 4th gear doing around 51-52 mph, and I noticed a low sounding howl noise or whistle when I gave it gas. I didnt really think much of it, however over the past couple of days its become a little bit more noticeable (not ALOT, but still)....

Its definitely coming from the back of the car, and if I had to guess I would say passenger side perhaps, but its hard to judge from the drivers seat. It seems to do it when above 50 mph, in or above 4th gear, and under light or moderate acceleration. The sound itself is hard to describe, it almost sounds like loud wind noise, but deeper and louder and ONLY when on the gas, no matter how light. Drop down to 48 ish mph, still in 4th, and nothing. Also nothing all the way up to 50 / 4th. Its kinda like a deep low whistle noise. If I give it light gas, you can def hear it, if I hold the gas to maintain speed, the sound stays as well. Lift the pedal, its gone. Hold the gas to accelerate, its back and stays until I let up. Its hard to hear wether or not its there under hard acceleration due to the overpowering sound of the exhaust, but I would guess it is? :bomb:

Anyone have ANY ideas or run into this before? :sneaky:

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The same thing is happening to my car. Brought it in to the dealership, took the service manager for a spin. They checked out the rear end and said it didn't look good. Long story short, I need a new rear end. Of course they don't have it and needs to be ordered. ETA is at least three weeks.

Check out this thread, towards the bottom:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4752

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Metaledge said:
The same thing is happening to my car. Brought it in to the dealership, took the service manager for a spin. They checked out the rear end and said it didn't look good. Long story short, I need a new rear end. Of course they don't have it and needs to be ordered. ETA is at least three weeks.

A new rear end?? Holy crap?? What is the deal with that?? Did he say what was causing it or anything? I didint think it was that serious, but it very well might be. It almost sounds like somethings low on fluid or whining, etc.. I'll try to catch you on AIM later if you dont mind...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metaledge said:

Just took a very good friend of mine for a spin who knows his S**t when it comes to cars, and he bet me his '03 Cobra that its Pinion Bearing and pinion wear. With only 1k on my GTO, he said its probably going to get worse, but its nothing HORRIBLE thats going to cause a serious breakdown or accident, etc.. I'm just going to keep driving it for now, and see what happens. My car is covered for 4 years / 60,000 so until either the rear end explodes or the noise gets so loud I cant deal with it anymore, I'm just gonna drive it. When either of the above 2 happen, I'll get it replaced under warranty...

Sounds like this is a common problem, wondering if GM will stand behind us with a recall....

My Ford friends are really loving this one... :bomb: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Take it in now and have the dealer look at it. It is better to get'r done than to sit on it until it fails. Especialy if it might take out something else if it goes or leave you stranded on the side of the road. Also it is harder for the dealer to argue abuse if the miles are low.

Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sxty8goats said:
Take it in now and have the dealer look at it. It is better to get'r done than to sit on it until it fails. Especialy if it might take out something else if it goes or leave you stranded on the side of the road. Also it is harder for the dealer to argue abuse if the miles are low.

Just my 2 cents..

The goat goes in under the microscope next Tuesday... I have a feeling I know where its going though.... New Differential at 1,000 miles :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Shoulda bought an Import I guess...

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
CDecker said:
Shoulda bought an Import I guess...
Ah, you did, the GTO is built in Australia and IMPORTED to the US. :banghead:

Hey, it happens to imports too. My aunt's Maxima is in the shop for a new engine and tranny. Threw a rod and parts went through the oil pan and cracked the tranny. My aunt is afraid to drive, hates making left hand turns and NEVER breaks the speed limit. The car had 750 miles on it. Go figure.

Grin and bear it, there are no japanese imports that can do what the GTO does stock.

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BobthePhotoGuy said:
Grin and bear it, there are no japanese imports that can do what the GTO does stock.

Agreed, very true.. I just wish GM could get thier build quality up to that of Honda / Acura.. I'm def a GM fan, dont get me wrong, but like I said above.. My Ford friends are having a field day with this one.... 1k and pinion noise already.... :banghead:

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
CDecker said:
Agreed, very true.. I just wish GM could get thier build quality up to that of Honda / Acura.. I'm def a GM fan, dont get me wrong, but like I said above.. My Ford friends are having a field day with this one.... 1k and pinion noise already.... :banghead:
In my experience, the build quality of the GTO is far and above the best of what I have seen in a car that costs less than $50k.

Check the Ford boards and see what their problems are like. They have their issues also.

Just take the ribbing, then smile when you cross the finish line before them.

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree the imports aren't what they used to be...

Look at all the problems 350Z owners have been having. In my area the used car lots are filling up with low mileage 03's that owners have given up trying to fix.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I've got an appointment to check this out on Monday. We'll see what happens. I've got my fingers very tightly crossed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If any of you guys want to talk the service manager who handled my case, the dealership is Sifford Pontiac in Bogota, NJ. PM or IM me and I'll give you the name and phone number of the service manager over there so you guys could trade info. He was very helpful with this issue, went for a drive to hear the noise and knew almost instantly what it was.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the rearends were built by Dana. These are usually pretty good pieces. Maybe the quality control problem is there. Hard to get good help these days

·
2004 GTO Impulse/Bermuda M6
149 Posts
Not bad, my rear end made it 1500 miles before it started making pinion noise. Of course it had 3200 miles on it before the rear end arrived to be replaced. Pontiac brand quality got involved with my car and they immediately got Dana representatives in my car to "hear" the issue themselves. My noise started on coast and as it wore in developed some on power noise. Get it documented and get it fixed. The driveline is pretty stout on these cars, don't let one event of poor supplier quality get you too worried. Though I feel your pain, there is no excuse...

·
Registered
24 Posts
blu04 said:
Of course it had 3200 miles on it before the rear end arrived to be replaced.
How long did it take the rear to arrive after the order was placed? They told me minimum three weeks since it is coming from AUS.

·
2004 GTO Impulse/Bermuda M6
149 Posts
My case was a little odd, My rear end started making noise at about 1500 miles while I was on vacation for two weeks about 750 miles from home. I took it to a local dealer and they kept it for three days and returned it to me because they could not get a rear end before I had to leave (they said at least two weeks). They told me "we think it will make it". They transferred my case to the dealer I purchased it from in Michigan who promptly forgot to order the axle. I got back home with a VERY noisy car with about 3200 miles on it now and decided against driving it unless I had to until the axle arrived at my dealer (who I now reminded were supposed to have an axle for me). The service manager expedited things by going through Pontiac Brand Quality to get a part which was subsequently hand delivered by Dana and the removed part returned with them (Dana has a local tech center). In all it took about 3 weeks but your time may vary depending on how pissed off you get.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Just as an update on today's activity...

My dealer drove the car, did a bunch of research, called around, and could not find anything wrong with my car. They made a case for me with GM such that there is a record in case something happens, but they say the car is fine. I will probably go this weekend and get the tires rotated, but at this point it looks like I am in the clear as far as the rearend goes. At least they now know of the potential for a problem so that those people that do have the issue have a history to go on. Good luck to those of you that aren't proving as fortunate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine heads in tomorrow, I'll post the results. Going to have them look at those clutch bolt and half shaft bolt TSB's as well... Not sure if they effect my car though, posted in the lounge to see if anyone does.. Mfgd 5/04.

Anyways, the noise is DEF there and getting louder, so they have to do SOMETHING. They got 3 times and I declare lemon law... :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts