LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
4X4 Beast VV :D
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be getting a Billet (instead of the traditional cast steel) custom grind cam soon and I am trying to decide between a 112 and a 114 LSA. I know the 114 is a good one but I want to be able to maintain strong powerband all throughout instead of just at higher mid range to top end. Would the 112 be better for having a stronger powerband throughout or would I be looking at little to no difference between the two and the only difference would be the sound?

I am A4 by the way with a 3500 Stall that will be going on soon and the specs of the custom cam are going to be: @.50 218/220 570/570 114 or 112 LSA

·
cave dweller
7,278 Posts
If you have CA inspections, the 114 LSA with that small of duration would be pretty much undetectable.

According to Super Chevy magazine:

A wider LSA figure (i.e. 114) moves the lobe centerlines further apart and will smooth your idle due to the decrease in overlap that it creates. The lower the figure (i.e. 112) moves the centerlines closer and will increase bottom end power, but your idle will suffer along with it.

·
165 MPH CLUB!
2,398 Posts
I have heard 112's and they sound mean. I plan on getting one in the future, i think it really boils down to what you have to do in Cali to pass inspection. In NC they dont care what it sounds like so i don't have a problem there. Just be prepared for cold starts......

·
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have CA inspections, the 114 LSA with that small of duration would be pretty much undetectable.

According to Super Chevy magazine:

A wider LSA figure (i.e. 114) moves the lobe centerlines further apart and will smooth your idle due to the decrease in overlap that it creates. The lower the figure (i.e. 112) moves the centerlines closer and will increase bottom end power, but your idle will suffer along with it.
Well of course as long as the vehicle passes emissions inspection there should never be any doubt because as long as the vehicle passes a thorough sniffer emissions test and nothing appears modified then in all reality fair game. If I was to ever fail just based off the way the car sounds I would raise all hell at whatever shop I would take the car to. I was reading about the cam in a internet chevy modification article on the LS2 and the cam itself seemed to pick up 90 at the flywheel from the 404 HP that the stock cam was putting out so with that much power out of a small cam like that. I got no problem doing a budget build on my car. I of course know I will probably not net a full 90 gain off a cam and tune alone. Bearing in mind that I will be picking up the custom grind cam for 125, it gives me that much more leeway to invest in a quality set of springs and hardened chromeoly pushrods. I am almost thinking a 112 may be better for me, I'm sure driveability won't be too bad as soon as I get the cam nice and tuned. The tuner in my area is one of the best and if anyone can deal with the idle issues and smaller drivability problems it will be him.

I have heard 112's and they sound mean. I plan on getting one in the future, i think it really boils down to what you have to do in Cali to pass inspection. In NC they dont care what it sounds like so i don't have a problem there. Just be prepared for cold starts......
I agree they do, I am almost going to lean towards the 112 side just because well A. they sound meaner and B. I want to retain a nice healthy low end as part of my powerband. I definitely want the car to be streetable and I'm sure the converter will saturate some of the cam problems compared to as if I was to do IT by itself. I'm sure with that kind of cam though the emissions and visual portion of the "enhanced" california smog check program will have no problem with it. Not to mention I'm a smog tech so I can just pass it myself come smog time next year on the visual ;)

·
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think in Cali we are stuck with 114 and up for the whole smog BS
Are you positive? I'm pretty sure Rick over here at synergy can over come the 112 LSA and the smog problems that would come with it via a dyno tune.

·
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah but I still gotta get the emissions to pass. I want it to be "street legal" in that sense, but of course I don't give a shit about a CARB Executive Order # as long as it passes smog it's a legal part to me. Haha.

·
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most tuners i haver talked to can tune out the smog problems, or they can put in a safe tune before then change it back after, just depend on what kind of trouble you want to go through.
I suppose what I'll do is call the local tuner and see if he can safely tune a 112 LSA without having to kill performance all for smog. If he can't I may have to settle for a 114 but I don't want to lose my low end power. I hope it won't be a problem.

·
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just checked out another thread talking about LSA's and I stumbled into a west coast goat's discussion. Here are some of the quotes which make me feel a little more confident of getting a 112 LSA cam, as long as there is 0 overlap.

It really depends on the overlap, not the idle and not the duration alone. The hot cam can pass with cats, as it has -1 degree of overlap. Tat 228/232 on a 114 will not as it has 2 degrees of overlap. You ideally want zero overlap or less (negative). The closer to zero overlap you get, the better the tune needs to be at 1000-2500 rpms, where the test is active. Biggest cam a customer of mine has passed with was a 228 on a 114, but I had the tune down precisely. :)
If your cam has positive overlap it will not pass a sniffer. 0 or less overlap and you have a good chance.

Edit: Here is one from the Z06Vette.com forums I found:
Remember it's not the LSA that "only matters." It's the combination of overlap and duration. Were focusing on overlap here, not LSA. LSA is just a number. Tighten it too much with a high duration camshaft and you wont pass smog.

Examples:

224/224 114 - smog able
220/220 111 - smog able
218/218 110 - smog able
240/240 115 - un smog able

·
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm... ALL LSX camshafts are steel billet cores.... none are *cast*... :eek:ldfogey:

Oh and you should be more worried about overlap and not LSA.
Even Comp cam's cams?

I actually want no overlap to keep the 112 smoggable, though with the specs I want I should be okay I presume.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Out of curiousity, does anybody know a tuner/shop in SoCal that can do this kind of thing? I'm thinking about getting a cam that I can pass smog with, but I want to go to someone I can trust to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Even Comp cam's cams?
You need to run far away from whomever is telling you that the LSX camshafts from comp are not billet steal. They are a friggin' idiot.

I actually want no overlap to keep the 112 smoggable, though with the specs I want I should be okay I presume.
No overlap at what point?

What about lobe area?

What type of lobe design are you planning?

There's more to designing a proper camshaft than what's posted on the internet forums.

:eek:ldfogey:

·
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to run far away from whomever is telling you that the LSX camshafts from comp are not billet steal. They are a friggin' idiot.

No overlap at what point?

What about lobe area?

What type of lobe design are you planning?

There's more to designing a proper camshaft than what's posted on the internet forums.

:eek:ldfogey:
Hmm you got me there. I don't know about all that. It's a NX cam but I'm notnsure what design they'd be using :confused:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I say screw the smog and go big. I noe of many places that can smog cars if you know what i mean.

·
SLoW SHO Shifts At Warp Speed
2,598 Posts
If you have an A4 go with the 114lsa

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.