LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've narrowed it down to 3 possible options. Help me decide. I will put some of my personal pros and cons for each option. Feel free to add more.

Option 1: Keep existing stereo. It is a Kenwood DDX-7015 I got when it launched, and used it in a previous vehicle for about a year. Has been sitting on a shelf ever since. Also have the navigation addon (DV3100) as well as iPod box and a Sirius tuner.
Pros:
-I already have it (no new stuff to buy)
-Already familiar with the installation and use of this unit
Cons:
-Old equipment (navi disc could use some more POI, more chance of breakdown)
-Boring screen UI graphics
-6.5" screen (compared to option 2 & 3)
-Seperate components to mount

Option 2: Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD
Pros:
-6 disc DVD changer built in
-7" screen
-Nice looking UI graphics
Cons:
-No built in navi (can add it on)
-Not as easy to bypass video lockout

Option 3: Pioneer AVIC-Z1
Pros:
-Built in Navi
-Built in Hard Drive
-7" screen
Cons:
-Expensive!! Almost 2x as much as the P6800
-Video Lockout

·
Registered
871 Posts
Look at the new Eclipse decks - they are one-piece with all the NAV, etc built in

AVN-5500 and AVN-6600 - they have Sirius tuners and iPOD integration available ($99 and $49 respectively), and probably the best sound quality out of all the video head units.

Also, video in motion is as easy as grounding the e-brake wire! lol can't get any simpler

I have an AVN-5435 (older model of 5500) and love it!!

·
lsxpwrd
192 Posts
i like the pioneer avic z1 .. but i dont think ive ever spend less than 800 on any hu ... i think you'll be happier with something rather than settling ? u know .. just a thought

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
Keep your 7015 and buy the Kenwood/Garmin KNA-G510 for nav. It is way cheaper than the DVx100 series and is updateable through the SD card slot on the unit.

·
The Jolly Roger
277 Posts
screw navi and go with the alpine iva-w200. thats a nice hu

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
timsgoat said:
screw navi and go with the alpine iva-w200. thats a nice hu
unless you want a high voltage preamp, but if you are running no amps, yeah the W200 is nice. But if you do want to add navi to it it'll cost you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
As Joe said, just update the navi part of the Kenwood. I am sure the rest is still good. Personally, I think there is no great advantage of a 7" compared to a 6.5" screen.

How much money are we talking about? What is the difference between the Kenwood navi upgrade (or simply a garmin nuvi 360) and the Pio Z1? $1000?
The money might be better spent on other mods, especially speakers or a nice installation.

Of course, if you are just aching for a shiny, new HU no reasonable argumentation will help you :).

Till

·
Registered
528 Posts
Z1 goes at Crutchfield for $2249. Can be had cheaper though but I wanted to compare retail to retail. So in this case it would be more than $1000 difference. That makes for some VERY nice speaker upgrades.

Till

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have the 7015. Here's how I cured the bland GUI problem. It's a DVD I made of various GTO logos. It runs (and loops) while my main audio source (Music Keg) plays. (You could just use your iPod). I don't even turn the Navi on anymore. The only reason I even bought the Navi was to have something cool on that lame screen. You'll also want a DD faceplate adapter from Chim Chim.

Here's how it works (and a link to buy a copy if you'd like)
http://www.theangrygoat.com/GTO_Logo_dvd.htm

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty much have everything I need minus some small installation details (sound deadening, eq). I already have the DD kit from ChimChim (1st batch). It looks like the general opinion is to keep the Kenwood and update the nav. Does anyone know if the wiring is the same for the DV3100 and the G510 is the same? I know the interface cable is most likely the same, but how about power? If its the same I could easily upgrade later by simply swapping the boxes. If anyone could get me a picture I would appreciate it. I really don't want to have to pull the head unit to upgrade if at all possible.

Mike: I love your graphics. I was planning on running them on the deck to "dress up" the boring UI. I've been following your thread on the subject and I think you have done a wonderful job. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you are satisfied with the speaker and amp side of your system, just use the cash for something else be it paying off debt or getting a performance mod. If it's the same HU as the one in Mike's picture I really see no need to upgrade that at all.

Till

·
Riding Goats since 2004
162 Posts
I have the 7015. Here's how I cured the bland GUI problem. It's a DVD I made of various GTO logos. It runs (and loops) while my main audio source (Music Keg) plays. (You could just use your iPod). I don't even turn the Navi on anymore. The only reason I even bought the Navi was to have something cool on that lame screen. You'll also want a DD faceplate adapter from Chim Chim.

Here's how it works (and a link to buy a copy if you'd like)
http://www.theangrygoat.com/GTO_Logo_dvd.htm
Hey, that's pretty slick! That looks cool so I'll give it a try on my 7017.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts