LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as most of you know my wheels are here, now I need to choose (by tomorrow morning) what tires to get?? Money is almost no object....
What would you guys get?

So far I am leaning towards

Falken GRB FK-451
Toyo Proxes T1-S
Yokohama AVS ES100
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (not in stock anywhere, this was my 1st choice)

here is a list and pics
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?compare=&sort=brand

EDIT: Will posting that link get me in trouble with DY? :D :wall:
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
245/40/18
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
the Goodyears would have been my first choice as well. i had a set of Dunlop SP 9000s. i liked them. but they wore out quickly (which could have been due to my led foot). i have not had any experience with the others
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Tires

Dbluegoat said:
Ok so as most of you know my wheels are here, now I need to choose (by tomorrow morning) what tires to get?? Money is almost no object....
What would you guys get?

So far I am leaning towards

Falken GRB FK-451
Toyo Proxes T1-S
Yokohama AVS ES100
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (not in stock anywhere, this was my 1st choice)

here is a list and pics
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?compare=&sort=brand

EDIT: Will posting that link get me in trouble with DY? :D :wall:
BFG KD's...IMHO ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Ok so as most of you know my wheels are here, now I need to choose (by tomorrow morning) what tires to get?? Money is almost no object....
What would you guys get?

So far I am leaning towards

Falken GRB FK-451
Toyo Proxes T1-S
Yokohama AVS ES100
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (not in stock anywhere, this was my 1st choice)

here is a list and pics
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?compare=&sort=brand

EDIT: Will posting that link get me in trouble with DY? :D :wall:
I have the AVS ES-100's and they are great for the money. But not much compares to the BFG KD TA's.
Mike B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
I've had great results with Michelin Pilot Sports. The 245/40-18" is $237 each at tire rack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Falken or Yokohama if you want to save some money. Alot of fbody guys use the Yokohamas.

BFG KD or KDW are nice choices for alittle more money.

GY F1 is nice and F1 SC is better but you are looking at well over 200 a tire.


I personally would go with the Yokohamas.
 

·
Doc, Just Doc
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Go with the T1-Ss. They have the best performance #s compared to the others you have selected. The Speed World Challenge uses them as their spec tire (just shaved) and they have a carbonfiber bead in the sidewall which makes it very stiff. Stiffer sidewall means less rollover and sidewall deflection. In turn, you have a more precise turn-in and better sidewall wear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Doc GTO said:
Go with the T1-Ss. They have the best performance #s compared to the others you have selected. The Speed World Challenge uses them as their spec tire (just shaved) and they have a carbonfiber bead in the sidewall which makes it very stiff. Stiffer sidewall means less rollover and sidewall deflection. In turn, you have a more precise turn-in and better sidewall wear!

I must agree with Doc. The T1-S is a great candidate for an all-around street tire with excellent dry and wet performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
So far I am leaning towards

Falken GRB FK-451
Toyo Proxes T1-S
Yokohama AVS ES100
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (not in stock anywhere, this was my 1st choice)
I am curious why you did not pick the Toyo Proxes 4?

Does anyone know much about them?

Personally, I love the looks of the Goodyear F1 GS D3! They also have a very good dry & wet rating & handle well.
 

·
Lil Cosmos GTO
Joined
·
507 Posts
I have Yokohama AVS db's on my Z28 and they perform very well and mileage is much better than average for High Perf. tires. They are W speed rated too. Check em out on The Tire Rack and then take the add to your local tire dealer and ask them to match the price. They almost always will do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Why 245 in the rear? Just curious as so many people want to go wider and the rims and clearance supposedly can fit up to 275.

I agree wider looks great but are people finding a serious ride and/or handling penalty?

As tires go the Michelin Pilot Sports are great but not so great on tread wear. The T1-S is great but don't rule out BFG, surprisingly good wear for the performance level.
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ZillaGTO said:
Why 245 in the rear? Just curious as so many people want to go wider and the rims and clearance supposedly can fit up to 275.

I agree wider looks great but are people finding a serious ride and/or handling penalty?

As tires go the Michelin Pilot Sports are great but not so great on tread wear. The T1-S is great but don't rule out BFG, surprisingly good wear for the performance level.
Well I wanted to go 275 but I was afraid too, I have read a few posts of problems so I decided to err on the side of caution. I went ahead and got the Toyo TS-1's.....too many choices, I really wanted the Eagle F-1's too bad they are on back order nationwide. THanks again for everyone giving me their honest input. I will have the tires and rims on monday afternoon and will get some good pics.
:thumbs: :bubbrub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
I have been afraid of the 275's too. But they would look sweet.

I can't wait to see pics of your car with the new wheels and tires.
 

·
Upstairs in the basement
Joined
·
396 Posts
I had the T1-s on my Z06 and absolutely loved them. Since I work for Goodyear now I was looking at the GS-D3s as they are almost identical.

I can also tell you that since I do work for Goodyear now I have access to the tire system. That size tire wont be out in the warehouses until about 7/25. I can also tell you that I can get you a good deal on them. If you can tell me the name, address, phone number, etc of the Goodyear store where you would want to have them installed, you can buy the tires from me at my discount and I can have them sent to your local store and tell them you are my cousin or something and to take care of you. You would just have to pay them for the "labor", balancing, alignment, etc. Email me privately if you wish to discuss further. I dont want to violate any board policies about supporting vendors and all that.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top